Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can not create collaborative Playlists

Solved!

I can not create collaborative Playlists

Account:

Family Plan - Premium

Country - Argentina

Devices:

Xiaomi Mi 9T; Macbook Pro M1 2020, Windows 11 PC, iPhone 13

Operating Systems:

Web player (Chrome), MacOS Client, Windows Client, Android Client and iOS Client

My Question or Issue:

I can not create collaborative playlists.

From the apps I can invite collaborators, but they can not add songs to the playlist.

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see on the MacOS app/client.

Also, I have older collaborative playlists that I can edit, but as with the new playlist, nobody can add songs to it anymore other than me.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-05-24 a las 10.50.22.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

It is important to differentiate between the desktop app and the web player, as it is currently not possible to add songs to a collaborative playlist from the web player. You'd need the desktop app for that. Could you confirm you're using the desktop app?

@xQUlZit

On the Friend Feed issue you've described there is a thread here. You can find a lot of relevant information in the linked thread.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

View solution in original post

37 Replies

Hey @PatricioMarino,

Thanks for sharing this with the Community!
Every collaborator can get different roles assigned.
Some can edit the music, others can only listen.

This should be visible as an option for each and every one of them and should be changeable but do send us a screenshot if that is not the case 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for your response.

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having the same problem across mobile and desktop (Windows). Two friends and I have been trying all kinds of different ways to make out playlists collaborative but we can't. 

1. When you tap on a shared link on mobile, it brings you to the homepage on the app and does not show you the playlist.

2. I tried to bypass this by emailing myself the link to open on the computer. That gave me the option to open on the desktop app, which I did, and I had access to the playlist, but could not add any music.

NOTE: we tried the same thing with making the playlist private, just in case, and in that scenario I was met with a message that it was a private or deleted playlist.

I don't know why this is so difficult, I've made collaborative playlists in the past...

There's just no option to make it collaborative anymore and the invite to collaborate doesn't work.

I have the exact same issue. Spotify family/duo. Other person does have the option to make playlist collaborative... What is going on :S

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this.

This issue might be device or account related. To test this out, it's best to first of all perform a clean reinstall of your Spotify app following this Guide. There could be corrupted app cache causing this issue, which the clean reinstall process should get rid of.

After that try the following:

1. Create a brand new playlist and add a couple of songs to it.
  2. Right-click (Desktop) or hit the 3-dot menu and select Add Collaborators.
  3. Send the link to a friend.

If that's still not working and they can't add songs to the playlist, let us know exactly what is happening on the collaborator's end.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Hi,

I did as asked - and there are no options to make the playlist collaborative as shown in pic below.

I am able to "Invite collaborators" which copies a link to my clipboard. When other person presses the link, they get to the playlist and are able to "like/heart" it, but the playlist does not show as collaborative, and the other person are not able to add songs.

Edit: This is on desktop app - Windows 11. Same behavior on iPhone 11. I have a DUO subscription - and other party of subscription can make collaborative playlists no problem (on Mac desktop and Android phone - not testet on windows/iPhone).2022-05-26 140740.png

Also - I use a Apple Watch - if that can have any effect.

Hey @Slagathor,

Thanks for the additional info 🙂
Could you try to get yourself invited as a collaborator from a different account, sending us a screenshot of what you see when you accept the invite :?
Much appreciated!

VasilModerator

Hi, I can accept invitations no problem - am then added as a collaborator as expected - the only problem I have is that I can't make my own playlist collaborative.

Hey there @Slagathor,

Thanks for the post.

Can you make sure the playlist is not marked as 'Private'? Currently there is no option to 'Make Collaborative', you just need to click add collaborators, which should allow the person with the link to add/remove songs from the playlist.

If that still doesn't work, let us know if you can create a new a new playlist and try to make that one collaborative, like described above.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I just ran into this problem and found out the feature has changed. After research, it seems a good amount of users are not fond of the change (I'm in agreement with them). Please revert the change, or at least have an option for creating collaborative playlists as it was before the feature change in the next Spotify update.

My friend and I are fighthing with the same issue right now. I can't make our playlist collaborative even if it is private or public. I hope you will solve the problem as soon as possible. 

Update: Just got a new garmin fenix 7… so garmin complains that I dont have a premium subscription. Is there an issue with dual-subscriptions where only one account counts as premium?

Update: on the third try I was able to use Spotify with garmin… 

Its weird - tempted to cancel the duo and order premium just to see if that fixes issues with collaborative playlists

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

Just to clarify, some changes have been made to collaborative playlists. 

Previously, if a user had the URI of a playlist, they could freely add, remove or move songs. This meant that changes could be made by anyone that were hard to reverse.

Now, collaborators (authorized by the user who creates the playlist) can only remove items that they've added by themselves. For additional info, visit this link.

This is done to prevent the risk of unauthorized changes on created playlists.

We hope this clear things up!

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

This has nothing to do with the problem discussed here. I am not able to add people to my playlists! I can make the link to invite collaborators, but when they “join” they are not able to add songs. On the flip side - I can get invited to others playlists and add songs there (and as you mentioned, I cannot remove songs added by others).

I've recently upgraded to a DUO account and I can't make playlists collaborative. When I invite the other person on my duo account with the "Invite Collaborators" option they can only like the playlist, they can't add or remove songs. Yes the playlist is public, yes i've uninstalled and reinstalled spotify, yes it's updated. Im on an s21 Ultra and the other person is on an Iphone XR. But what's weird is when they make a new playlist and invite me as a collaborator I can add songs and remove them no problem, but for some reason when the roles are switched, they can't do the same. I'm thinking about quitting this service becuase nowhere on the internet is there a fix for this awful "feature."

Hey @offplace,

Thanks for posting.

If you open the playlist in a desktop app, next to the picture and under the name you'll get the number of collaborators. Clicking on that will open a list of the collaborators of the playlist. Could you check, that the users, that you want to be able to add content to the playlist are set as collaborators and not as listeners?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

I have a family plan. I have playlist set to public. I have added wife as a collaborator. I signed back into my account, and went to playlist, and shows both of us, and she is set as a collaborator. From her account, i can remove songs from a playlist, but if i hit add to playlist on a song, the playlist does not show up under the list. The playlist does show up on the left hand side of the app and web app, and she can see and listen to everything. I really wish there was an easier way to move a whole playlist to another email address. Like she takes 100% ownership of it.

We've tried both me and my duo in Spotify to make collab account or invite one another to collab in an existing playlist.
We tried to share via social and then share via c/p instant link.
None of the above worked, when we click on the link (invitation) it just redirects as to the home screen of our Spotify. There's no ''accept/deny" etc. when the app is up. (tried both in mobile android app and on Desktop).
Also in our libraries there is no playlist "collabed". I can only see my playlists and she can only see hers.

Paying for Spotify just became way way less desirable.
That's the 2nd redflag from Spotify.
The 2nd one is that i cant add friends from FB, only follow them, which doesn't make them visible on the sidebar.
On my sidebar it only shows that "i have to go to setting > share playlists on Spotify" which I've enabled already but the messaged still exists there.

Suggested posts