Announcements

I can't sync my local files!

I can't sync my local files!

Charlie_P
Regular

I've been trying all day to sync my local files between my laptop and my phone. I've been looking on all sorts of forums and such, trying to find the answer; I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify on both devices, I've moved the music files into different folders, I've made several playlists for the local files. All that happens when I tap 'download' on my phone is that it just says 'waiting to download' and does nothing. Is there anything else I can do? I'm at the end of my tether on this one.

24 Replies

Re: I can't sync my local files!

OneByBoo
Rock Star 19
Rock Star 19

Hi there @Charlie_P

thanks for reaching out !

Please start by reading the official "Local Files" support page here to make sure you've followed all the steps needed correctly.

In addition, i would also like you to go through the Spotify moderator's solution posted in this solved thread to see if it helps.

Keep me posted 🙂

OneByBooRock Star 19
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Resa595
Music Fan
That is a very common problem... The sync is very unsteady and depends a lot on your home network... Make sure u have all decided connected to the same network... Reinstalling Spotify cannot help there... Maybe restarting the app can.
If you are in the save network, you should try if streaming your local files with the phone is possible. If it is, after a while it will start the download... Just be patient
Best wishes, stay save and CALM,
Resa595

Charlie_P
Regular

Sorry for extremely late reply... 

Still hasn't worked, I've tried making copies of the folder in which my files are stored, using my mobile hotspot, and I've even updated my Wi-Fi router recently, and none of it has had allowed me to download it.

However, something has changed; instead of saying 'Waiting to download', it has a little exclamation mark where the usual green 'downloaded' symbol is. Would you happen to have an idea what that means?

OneByBoo
Rock Star 19
Rock Star 19

Hi there @Charlie_P,

It seems like your having issues downloading the files.

In this case, please take a look here (I need help with my downloads > Not downloading?).

It would be great if you could add the type of device and Spotify version you're currently using.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Keep me posted 🙂

OneByBooRock Star 19

Charlie_P
Regular

Unfortunately, it seems I have fulfilled all the requirements under that section too. All my other downloads work, it's just the local files that don't.

As for the device and Spotify version, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy J5 with Android V8.5.66.1002 (the latest version on the Play Store).

OneByBoo
Rock Star 19
Rock Star 19

Hi @Charlie_P & @Resa595,

This post should be relevant as well.

Let me know what you think 🙂

OneByBooRock Star 19

Charlie_P
Regular

Sorry, that still doesn't work! Still does the same thing as usual...

OneByBoo
Rock Star 19
Rock Star 19

Hi @Charlie_P@Resa595,

I recommend updating to the latest Spotify version.

As some updates were rolled out a few days ago, this should provide a few fixes already.

If that doesn't solve the issue, please let me know if the download issue is not caused by an SD card.

Thanks for your patience 🙂

OneByBooRock Star 19

Charlie_P
Regular
I have already updated to the latest version of Spotify on both my laptop and phone, but I might wait until the next version is released, as I have encountered another issue; when trying to switch my storage location from my SD card to internal storage, it just force closes the app.

Señorflip
Music Fan

I'm encountering the same problem. Any attempt to sync local files ends with the green downward arrow on the list only, indicating that the download is complete. However, the tracks themselves are still grey and unplayable on my Android phone.

This is extremely frustrating, as I had tried to remove the application. That didn't work: the uninstalling process from the Google Play Store never ended and I was merely logged out, in the meantime losing all my downloads. And now it's impossible to get the offline files back or sync new ones!

Señorflip
Music Fan

Something has changed, though. At first, the tracks also displayed that little exclamation point that Charlie reported. Now it's just a grey downward arrow, though the tracks are still unplayable.

So whenever I try to sync, I'm notified that the app is downloading the tracks for a split second, then it tells me it's done. Without yielding any satisfying results.

Señorflip
Music Fan

And now the ominous exclamation point returns with every new attempt.

Señorflip
Music Fan

Okay, I don't know what happened, but suddenly local files started downloading again! I repeat, I have not consciously applied any changes.

Señorflip
Music Fan

At least SOME of them. This one album yields some tracks that show the exclamation point, but still seem to play. Others are skipped and grey.

Señorflip
Music Fan

Sorry I keep posting like a madman. It's because I am one.

Anyway, I re-synced all of my lists, at least attempted to. And some of my offline files now play again and some don't. But I'm not sure how or why Spotify discriminates in this matter.

acg24
Visitor

I have this exact same problem.

My iPhone 7 and laptop (Windows) are on the same wifi. I have enough memory on my phone (>1GB). I have the latest update for both phone and laptop app.

I can add mp3 songs to my desktop app and play them. The playlist they are in appears on my phone, but even when I download the playlist on both my laptop and my phone, I can only play them on my laptop. On my phone it has the green arrow (saying the playlist is downloaded) but the songs are in grey and when I click on them they won't play (it says Song Not Downloaded even though I have downloaded the playlist).

If I add other songs from Spotify (not local files) to the playlist on my laptop, they download on my phone and I can also play them on my phone.

I am not sure what to do about this problem. Can anyone help me? I encountered the same situation when I tried this a year or so ago.

Señorflip
Music Fan

Today I've been able to sync some lists again, but now I'm back at the exclamation points routine.

Señorflip
Music Fan

So far, I was able to restore my synchronizations again, yesterday. At times it worked, at times it didn't, but I've got quite the offline database now.

I'm not sure why or how, as I haven't done anything to solve the problem other than trying again and again to sync files.

GreenaTea
Visitor
SAME!
SUGGESTED POSTS