Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Joe Rogan Podcast - Stop Video

Joe Rogan Podcast - Stop Video

Is there a way to turn vide off whilst listening to the Joe Rogan podcast? I just want to listen to it and not have the podcast drain my phone battery. Same question for desktop version. 

Thanks

78 Replies

That's strange, because mine works perfectly. It sounds like the podcast is playing, but you cannot hear it. Turning on airplane mode will turn off your bluetooth connection with your airpods. Once in airplane mode, go to settings and turn on your bluetooth connection, then reconnect with your airpods. Then play the downloaded podcast. If it doesn't work, try listening with your phone's speaker to see if it works. If it doesn't work, I have no more answers for you.

Yes I'm aware of the work around. Unfortunately I frequently receive work
phone calls so I can't put my phone on airplane mode. I'm in a steel
building with poor cell and WiFi signal. The video podcast gets very choppy
and has all sorts of issues in this situation.

Hey guys,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We always strive to better our app and the experience with it. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team. 

You can head to the ideas @Peter suggested and add your +Vote. You can also Subscribe to the threads so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If you don't have a good mobile connection or you want to save data, you can download the episodes while on WiFi and turn on Offline Mode. You'll then be able to listen to the audio of the podcast with only the app being offline. No need to turn on Airplane mode to disable any other network functionality.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm confused.

The only "solution" is to download while on WiFi, then turn on offline mode?  This really takes the simplicity out of listening to a podcast.

Sorry, this won't cut it.  I'm done with Spotify podcasts.  Other platforms aren't this nuanced.

I know this comment is getting censored but you better listen to your users for once. Fix the damn video bandwith investing a little more in infrastructure instead of a grammy´s knockoff. Listening the Joe Rogan EXPERIENCE  on Spotify is an AWFUL EXPERIENCE . If you had the wit to convince him to become a Spotify exclusive by 2021 you better take a good hard look at the technical requirements of having 9 million subscribers that already watch him live on Youtube and you better start getting to know his fanbase. Don´t buy and then kill the golden egg goose Spotify.

I´m seriously rethinking why the **bleep** do I have 6 premium accounts with you guys. Peace out.

This solution is incredibly unhelpful. It's a work-intensive, hacky workaround that only somewhat solves the initial issue. Not helpful.

It should not be terribly difficult to add an option not to stream video. You guys literally added a video player just for Joe, (difficult). I really hope this button makes its way into the next update, as I don't usually watch the videos and I have limited network bandwidth.

Also, your voting system is a nice idea, but it's not an excuse to not listen to people. Voting would only work if a large percentage of the user base used it, so you're not getting a good idea of what your users actually want. Instead, actually pay attention to what people suggest and sift out the bad ideas yourself. As a developer, It should not be hard to identify a good idea.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

btw this isn't a solution at all for the issue of battery, only data.

There needs to be a "Download Audio Only" option available for the JRE podcast.

I'm not going to download a massive video file that takes 10-15 mins and fills up a huge chunk of my phone's storage every time I want to listen to an episode. I don't even watch the video 90% of the time.

This is an enormous oversight and it's driving people away from your platform. I never had a problem listening to JRE for the past 7 years, but now I do thanks for Spotify.

Hey there @Dtoppy,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

You should be able to find it under Data Saver in your settings.

If you can't find it, it would be great if you can provide us a screenshot of what you can see.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Sucks!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, sorry for being so dramatic about it.

I’m done with JRE until Spotify provides a streaming audio only version. No one wants to watch a 3 hour conversation on their tiny phone screen. Even if you lock the screen and only listen, it kills the battery streaming all that unnecessary video data. I work as a painter and can’t be constantly touching my phone to mess with settings...unless I’d like to ruin my phone. If you can’t stream the audio only for a podcast then you are gonna lose your audience. I’m done till you remedy this issue. No podcasts on iTunes has ever caused this issue. Bye Spotify. Bye bye Joe Rogan. 

Web Player allows you to close the video until the muppets at spotify work out how to listen to customers...

Hey there @Bauman32 and @cuntlips1122,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

As mentioned before - you can choose to only download the audio for podcasts. You find that option in your Settings > Data Saver.

We hope this helps.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator

Since about 2weeks I noticed jre episodes disappeared from my other services so I switched over and installed spotify...guess I'm forced to.

Immediately I notice that multimillion dollar app everyone uses has annoying (and sometimes intentional) flaws. With other apps for example, when connected to WiFi, it would download the latest episodes, I could choose how many to keep stored and whatnot.. Not on spotify.

Now comes the problem of video playing during playback. Listen, my cellular plan doesn't have that much data per month so first if I have to watch a video on YouTube, I will select a much lower (144p, 240p) quality, the amount of data saved is IMMENSE. Spotify? Of course no option for that.. 

In fact after searching through the options and fiddling not even an option to not have the video play at all.. Wow just wow.  So I just pre download the podcast manually and then when listening, disable my cellular data (and better not forget doing it because it's like in 8k crystal quality fkn 10gig/minute obviously cause everyone has 5g connection wherever they go with unlimited data!) and that's the workaround I'm gonna have to do.

I love joe rogan, and now I'll be forced to use your stupid app with those workarounds and I know you don't care especially about me because I won't pay for premium so yeah guess I'll just go **bleep** myself. 

This option is not available on my 2020 iPhone SE running iOS 14.

IMG_0201.PNG

Hey @Patbach and @acpulley,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

This is an expected behavior. Currently this option is available if the account is on Premium. If you want to find information about the different types of subscription Spotify offers, you can head here.

@Patbach You can have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion about different quality options. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea. That way other users can also support it. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

Here you can find more information about how your feedback reaches Spotify.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@ Spotify video team:

- Please figure out how to improve video playback. My initial 5 minutes of Spotify experience totally sucked. I click on the Joe Rogan video and it takes 30 seconds before something starts playing. (on YT it's instant)

Right now I'm at the point where where "if it is playing, don't touch it"

has this been solved yet? Complete joke I'll be canceling my subscription if this continues!! 

Why is it so hard to listen to only the audio?!?!?!?!!?

Suggested posts