Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
AeroZ

I don't think that having to post a "new idea" for basic functionality to work correctly is the way to go here.

charleskellom
My thoughts exactly. This isn't a "new idea," it's a basic expectation of
how the system should work.

I wonder if Apple Music has this problem...? 🤔
AeroZ

It doesn’t.

sophieyoshii

sometimes I add multiple of the same song that may be the same version (but different album cover) or a different version, but don't realize it until I look through and see. If Spotify could recognize when you already have a version of that song and send you a similar notification asking if you still want to add it, that would be awesome!

Guido
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-02-24

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found: here

cineknt

The basic functionality is broken and you are saying "it's not a bug, it's a feature". You should be ashamed of yourself.

aaareese

Yes! I've also had it where a song I thought I had saved will come up on a radio for another song or artist but it doesn't show as being "liked" so I'll like it again and then I have two of the same song on the same album & artist saved. I try and go and find duplicates since I'm almost at 10k songs and sometimes when I do, it'll unsave BOTH songs when I only clicked unsave on one. It's very frustrating since I utilize the date saved as a way of going back and finding old songs I've forgotten especially since there's no personal playcount feature. 

Some ideas for how this would affect a song would be:

• If you like, hide or add a song to a playlist, they should all be affected
  • Additions option in song context menu to see a list of the different albums it's found in
  • Swipe the picture to see the various album arts
  • Different variations (anniversary, different language/singer, live) could be merged as well, and you would be able to choose from them from the current song.
  • Maybe have an option to turn off lyrics (instrumental/solos) for a particular type of song.

A report button would be nice as well in case they missed one.

Bizatts

I am tired of this issue as well.

mirthe

Yes, a thousand times this. This is very annoying. Esp if I'm browsing other playlists and find songs unstarred which I'm sure I've already starred. Very confusing.