Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
sandceal

I have the same issue

andrewmoehrke

That is pretty absurd to state this is expected behavior. It's incredibly annoying and happens all the time for me. I'll be looking through my daily mixes and see a songs that I know I've already saved. I'll search for them in my Liked Songs and they will be there; the exact same artist/song/album. It makes organizing my music unnecessarily difficult.

uber1337

Having same issue on web version, in app everything looks good.

So I think now web version is outdated

sandceal

Nah, I use the desktop version and I still have the same issue

teusdeVirgo

PLEASE SPOTIFY WE BEG

Mihail

Hey folk,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

To everyone experiencing this, we recommend that they first check whether or not the issue comes up only in the web player. If that's the case, we have an Ongoing Issue about this here. Make sure to +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll inform on any new developments there, as soon as there are any.

If you're experiencing this on the desktop and mobile app versions, ti's possible that these are re-uploads of the same track. As @Xenia mentioned in her post, liking a song on the younger album will also save that song in the older version, but not the other way around. If you'd like this feature changed, you can post an idea about it. You can also support the idea about consolidating duplicates here

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

brose815

Just confirming this is still an issue in the Desktop version.  Annoying when you are trying to check out artists and verifying if you have already liked.  Duplicates should also not be allowed in Liked songs.  iTunes handles that...hint hint.  

Zekar

Basic function of a library is a new idea? Fix the app the some of us pay for. Jeez. 

01John

I explained this to the Spotify Support Chat:

This explains what my issue.

Step by step:
1. I save ADD any song to my Library called "Greatest"
2. I want to see the album of that ADDED song
I'm still working on this. Please bear with me a little bit longer, and stay on this screen so we don't get disconnected.
3. From my library "Greatest" I tap on the 3 dots on the right of the song
4. I see the album cover and click a few lines lower "Show Album"
5. The album is being showed including all the songs within that album..
6. I scroll within this album to the song I ADDED
7. I see the ADDED song but I cannot see anything that identifies this ADDED as being on of those added to my library "Greatest"
8. So, it's not highlighted green nor has a heart..
9. For that reason it's confusing to determine which song has ever been added to my library or if there are any other songs within this album ever added to my library