Liked songs will not play

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Xbox One

My Question or Issue

Every time I try to play my liked songs either on the Xbox app or in a browser, it will not play. Any other music I have will pause, but it stays as the active music and is not replaced by my liked playlist. Other playlists play fine, and my liked songs will play on the Android app or desktop app on Windows, but my Xbox is my primary method of listening to music. My liked playlist is right around 18,000 songs.

I've tried it on multiple networks, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, checked for updates, and done basically anything you can think of to make it work. I have spent literal hours on this issue, and none of it has helped. It has been this way for months, and I am far from the only one having this issue. Playing my liked songs on my Xbox is 95% of the reason I switched from Pandora, since their Xbox app is buggy and their playlists aren't as customizable. But it will play the playlists I want, so I'm going back to it until this is resolved.

6 Replies

Hey there @BuddyAM

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Great troubleshooting so far, we can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases.

Would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your Xbox to check if the issue persists with a different account?

Additionally, we suggest that you take a look at this article for more info. 

Keep us posted on how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

That's the only thing I haven't tried because I don't have anyone to log in on my Xbox. I'd have to create a new account, and then like 18,000 songs on that account, which I'm not doing. It would take hours and hours, only for me to find that it has the same problem. The issue isn't with the account, it's with the app. Like I said, I'm far from the only one having this issue with the app on certain platforms.

Hi again @BuddyAM

Thanks for your quick reply! 

We'd like you to test with a different account to check if this is an account-related issue. 

No worries, you can create a new account to do so here and try again with it. The Liked Songs playlist doesn't have to contain so many songs you have on your original account, it's enough adding 10 songs. 

Additionally, could you let us know if you're receiving any error messages when the music doesn't play? 

Lastly, would you like try listening your Liked Songs on your Xbox using the Connect feature to check if the issue persists this way?

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I do have to add a large number of songs because that's the reason it won't work. It's not the account. I'm far from the only person having this problem.

It works when I use a new account with 10 liked songs, like I already knew it would. If I add about 15,000 more, it'll stop working, but I'm not spending hours on this just to get exactly the result I already know I'll get.

I receive no error message. The music simply doesn't play, or any music I'm already playing will just pause.

I've tried the connect feature, and it doesn't work either. Like I already said, I've tried everything I can on my end, except for the one thing you asked me to test, which was a waste of time. It's a problem with the app not wanting to play very large playlists, period. It's not my account.

Hey @BuddyAM,

Thanks for getting back to us.

For the time being there are technical limitations and experiencing performance issues with very large playlists (over a thousand songs) is expected, since the system is constantly trying to update information in real time. We cannot say when or if this will be solved, but we recommend keeping your app up to date, as software improvements come with every update. 

As a workaround we recommend splitting your large playlists into smaller ones and regularly updating the app and the firmware on your device.

If these issues start happening with smaller playlists as well, we'll happily help you get to the bottom of this.

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It really would have been nice to be told that in the first place instead of wasting my time troubleshooting a problem I have absolutely no control over. I spent over 2 days liking all of these songs, and I'm not spending even more time splitting it into over 18 playlists because the app doesn't work right. I guess I just won't be using Spotify anymore.

Suggested posts