Premium

Country

UK

Device

Lenovo AIO700 Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have my music collection on a HDD disk attached by USB to PC. Using the Spotify desktop app, I have the external HDD mapped to local files - working fine until...

I have started to 'rip' some old vinyl albums to mp3 files. I have created new folders on the HDD under Artist and then a sub-folder with the album title and mp3 files are located in the sub folder. These new folders will not appear in local files! I have logged out of Spotify, removed and added the external drive in the Settings options. I have even renamed the local-files.bnk file, logged out of Spotify, back in and let the program re-load the F:Music/music source folder but the 'ripped' album folders just won't appear in the local files list - any clues anyone?

2 Replies

Hey there @roghar55

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Keep in mind that the files you may use as local files on Spotify must comply with certain requirements.

For example, files or downloads from illegal sources are not permitted and this might be the reason why you can't successfully play files that have been ripped from old vinyl albums. When users import local files we do our best to match any unsupported local files with songs from the Spotify catalog. However, some of your tracks may be protected in restricted formats. You can install QuickTime on your desktop to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.  

Hi Ivan,
Thank you for the reply... Quicktime hasn't made any difference.
All my music on the external drive has been previously copied from my
DVD collection and all have previously been played through iTunes, the
two vinyl albums have been copied using a USB turntable
and automatically saved as mp3 files. I can play them using the Windows
built in music player but the sound quality is poor on the PC. Normally
I can 'cast' the music files in Spotify to my Sonos
sound system. The other problem is that the files just don't appear with
the rest of my music files on the 'local files' option, but I know this
is mapped correctly to Spotify.
These are old vinyl, one is a 70s Ella Fitzgerald LP and the other a
jazz funk compilation Slipstream (which I have now found on Spotify!),
so I don't believe they will be protected...

Regards,
roghar55

Suggested posts