Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Moods & Genre Filter test for Liked Songs Playlist

Moods & Genre Filter test for Liked Songs Playlist

Hi all, if you use Spotify on a mobile device (Android or iOS), you may have noticed recently that your Liked Songs Playlist includes a set of Filters for genres of the tracks that you have saved, such that you can show results based on a chosen filter. If you notice this feature, it’s because you’ve been included in a test that Spotify will run for about 2 weeks; and it would be great if you could provide your feedback regarding how you find this feature to be by replying to this thread.

Feel free to share your thoughts, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Top Answer
AdamDam
Spotify Star

Hi everyone, I'm glad to announce that the mood and genre filters for Liked Songs will be rolling out over the coming weeks to both Free and Premium Spotify users on mobile devices (Android and iOS) in several countries (the U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa).

Feel free to check out this news article, as well as this Community Blog post, about the new feature.

Cheers!

43 Replies

I enjoy the new genre filters. Makes the experience more personal and tailored to what songs you want without having to constantly search or scroll to find a song.

Billy-JSpotify Star

I think this is an awesome feature that definitely will make it easier to navigate the songs list, especially now that we can save unlimited tracks. That said, I notice that the automatic genres can occasionally not do quite what I would expect, e.g., placing certain songs in a genre that I might feel they don't necessarily belong or leaving out a song that I think does belong. That said, that's kind of a minor nitpick for me, because it seems to work extremely well overall!

A much bigger issue is that when the songs are filtered, if I start playing from that list, the queue doesn't reflect the filtered results. In other words, I could have a filter set for rock music, and after I play the first song, it just goes to whatever is next in the full "Liked Songs" playlist. If shuffle is on, it also pulls from the full library, rather than just the filtered results. Honestly, the main way I would use this feature would be as a quick way to listen to my favorite songs in various genres, so I really hope to see that fixed in the future to make that possible without having to manually select each song.

P.S. This is on Android, but I'd be curious to know if iOS users are experiencing the same thing with the queue!

dinomightSpotify Star

I agree that the genre filters for Liked Songs in this test are a great feature, and I think that it’s fun to see what types of music Spotify considers the songs in my library to be representative of.

I’ve also noticed that sometimes, tracks show up for genre filters for which they probably shouldn’t; for example, tracks by 35007 and Alcest appear when the “doom metal” filter is selected. However, I think that the songs that show up when I select a genre filter are usually indeed representative of the genre.

Also, @dinomight, I'm on iOS and have found that I'm able to play tracks only within a filtered genre, without the queue going to tracks in the rest of the Liked Songs playlist; and playing only the songs within a filtered genre seems to work on shuffle as well. So perhaps this queue issue currently only occurs on Android, though I'm curious to hear if others can confirm this difference in behavior as well

AdamDamSpotify Star

@AdamDam Very interesting! That's how I'd have expected it to work, so it sounds like this could just be a bug.

dinomightSpotify Star

I don't think I would get much use of this feature, but for people who want to listen to only a certain genre at a certain time then this feature will be great for that. Also some people may not know what genre a song is and can learn how their library is sorted into which genres with this feature.

Another suggestion is to maybe add a way to see what genre a song is in the mobile and desktop apps. On the full album page and in the options menu for a song it should show additional info such as genre.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Looks like this is a bug for Android, and is on the fix list. Thanks for reporting!

used it on my friend's device and it's useful but i wish i had it on my phone personally. 1/10

I think this feature is really interesting and I like the idea overall. 

Sometimes I'm in a mood for certain genre, so the filters are perfect for that. 

I don't need to worry about the content that's about to play, as all the songs are already in my Liked Songs playlist.

But as already mentioned, sometimes there are some songs that not necessarily match the applied filter. That happens rarely though, and if the feature were to stay, I'm sure it will perform better over time.

The filters can also be helpful with creating a genre-oriented playlists. 

Funny, I came here because I was looking for exactly this feature. As someone who listens to a lot of different genres, this is a perfect solution to listen to liked songs in a specific genre. Looking forward to have this feature in the app for everyone. Great work!

Sad when I saw this feature removed today. The limited filter and sorting features on Spotify have been quite frustrating. This feature was definitely a step in the right direction. It did not always work perfectly (playing from the genre-filteted tracks wouldn't always fill the queue with songs from that filtered list but rather all liked songs and the lists themselves were not perfectly consistent with the true genres), but overall it was awesome to finally have a fairly accurate genre filter. I hope these filters are brought back and improved upon (additional filters such as release dates, etc would also be very nice).

Loved this feature, worked great for me. It really took the liked songs list to another level. I hope it gets enough community approval to be added back in.

I loved this feature. Bring it back!!

"Is It Wickedness or Is It Weakness?"

Hi! I’m an avid spotify music listener, and I absolutely loved having my liked songs filterable by genre. I’m not the best playlist maker, and often just play my liked songs on shuffle, adjusting the queue by deleting whatever songs didn’t fit my mood at the time. Adding the filters allowed me to instantly create my own playlist out of all my liked songs based on the mood I was in, and each genre was already downloaded so I could listen to it anywhere I went! I used the filtered genres so much that I’m struggling to adjust not having it anymore. Spotify please make the filtered liked songs permanent, I miss it already!

Loved this feature. Realized it was a test for the feature only after it disappeared because I wondered where it went. I constantly wished a feature like this existed so I could listen to my music depending on my mood (or the moods of others since people live in the house with me). And then it magically appeared one day!

It makes it easy to better tailor my liked songs which has so many different artists and tastes that I find myself constantly skipping songs to get to ones I’m in the mood for.

This feature let me skip the skipping and allowed more time for listening to preferred tunes on short drives. I’d definitely vouch for this becoming a permanent feature and don’t really see a downside to it since you can choose not to have any genre filters selected at any time. 

GG

-atom

Don't forget to add your vote for this Idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Your-Music-Organize-quot-YOUR-MUSIC-quot-by-GENRE/idi-p/...

osorniosSpotify Star

I loved thy is feature! How can I get it back? It made choosing the best liked songs to shuffle based on what I wanted to listen to sooo much easier!!

Hi @Dawnehl,

Spotify is often testing and launching improvements and new features. This means that you might see something on the app that your friend doesn’t, or you could get a new feature to try out temporarily.

It’s great to hear that you liked using the Moods & Genre Filter in this test; I recommend voting for this Live Idea regarding being able to sort music in Your Library by Genre, as @osornios has suggested. You can also read about how feedback on Ideas reaches Spotify here.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments regarding this test!

AdamDamSpotify Star

This needs to be put back on I used it about everyday when update came out

I’m honestly bummed that I don’t have this option still. I was so happy every morning I would choose “chill” and I had calm music to listen to on my drive to work.
Hope this comes back!

Suggested posts