Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No songs are working.

Solved!

No songs are working.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Imac

Operating System

Mac OS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

This has been a running issue for 2 years that I have put aside for a while. So on my mac it says that all of my playlists are empty when on my phone they are how there supposed to be. And no songs are working on my mac when on my phone everything works fine. So I'm not sure what the problem is I have tried reinstalling using the method Spotify has provided but still nothing. Hopefully there is a solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @LEGENDARYPOOB12

Welcome to the Community 🙂

We'd first recommend giving these steps a try, as they can be very useful to clear any hosts file that might be causing the issue.

You can also try disabling hardware acceleration - you can find this by clicking Spotify on the menu bar - to see if this helps.

If these don't do the trick, would you mind letting us know if this was the method that you used to reinstall the app?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @LEGENDARYPOOB12,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, this helps us narrow down the possible causes for this issue. Just to make sure we're on the same page- the other accounts you've tried it with also appear empty, right? Could you attach to your next response also a screenshot of an affected playlist, so we know how it looks at your end? One more thing- did the playlists start appearing like this after a specific events( update of the app/ Mac OS/ installation of new hardware or software)? 

It's also a good idea to check your hosts file for Spotify entries and delete any you find. You can follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

Marked as solution

Hey,

My Spotify all works good now. I brought the hosts file out again and deleted the code I didn't need, and replaced the original hosts file with the edited one, and everything now works perfectly.

Thanks guys 😁👍

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @LEGENDARYPOOB12

Welcome to the Community 🙂

We'd first recommend giving these steps a try, as they can be very useful to clear any hosts file that might be causing the issue.

You can also try disabling hardware acceleration - you can find this by clicking Spotify on the menu bar - to see if this helps.

If these don't do the trick, would you mind letting us know if this was the method that you used to reinstall the app?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

KaterinaModerator

I tried what you told me to, but didn't work. I even tried to reinstall Spotify, the last time I reinstalled it it was not this page, it was a different page.
and also I accidentally clicked the button saying the solution, but I didn't mean to.

Hey there @LEGENDARYPOOB12,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Also - try launch the app in Mac safe mode (instructions can be found here).

If that doesn't do the trick - can you try with another internet connection?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

i tried everything you told me to, but none of it worked. i tried safe mode, changing accounts, different connections, but none of that worked. i didnt know how to find the version i was using so i took this screenshot, im not sure if this is right.

unknown (3).png
Marked as solution

Hey @LEGENDARYPOOB12,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, this helps us narrow down the possible causes for this issue. Just to make sure we're on the same page- the other accounts you've tried it with also appear empty, right? Could you attach to your next response also a screenshot of an affected playlist, so we know how it looks at your end? One more thing- did the playlists start appearing like this after a specific events( update of the app/ Mac OS/ installation of new hardware or software)? 

It's also a good idea to check your hosts file for Spotify entries and delete any you find. You can follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

Hey, 

Yes, when I logged in with another account, the playlists were empty and no songs were working. I have attached 3 screenshots as to what I am seeing. Also I do not remember when this started happening, all I remember is that I opened up Spotify to listen to some music, but all my playlists were empty and none of the songs were working. I might have been doing something with the Spotify files, because I remember I put something in the hosts file. Ok, so I  went back and tried to find the video I used, and this is the video I used I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLflPKiePHk

so I deleted all of that code too, but I wanted to know that when I bring the hosts file to my desktop and make changes to it and save it, what do I do with the file after that? do I just leave it there, or delete it? and after I deleted what I needed to I tried restarted Spotify, but it was still the same thing, no songs in my playlists. also after I made the changes to the hosts file I went back and checked the original file and nothing had changed, maybe I am doing something wrong? and one last thing, all the Spotify related code in the hosts file were from the video, I had somehow put that code 2 times in the hosts file, I deleted them but I don't know if anything will change just yet.

unknown.png
unknown (1).png
unknown (2).png

Hey again @LEGENDARYPOOB12,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you double-check that you followed each of the steps that @Mihail suggested and also make sure to save the editing progress when working on the files?

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Marked as solution

Hey,

My Spotify all works good now. I brought the hosts file out again and deleted the code I didn't need, and replaced the original hosts file with the edited one, and everything now works perfectly.

Thanks guys 😁👍

Hey again @LEGENDARYPOOB12,

Thank you for getting back in touch.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

If anything comes up we're always one reply away. We're happy to help.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Good evening, Please I want your help after the last upgrade of the application. I have a premium account, when I try to upload music from my computer to my mobile entering the application I select the folder local files and as soon as I select the song I want and put it in the playlist I want it appears in the playlist of the mobile application but it does not play nor does it bother me to download it to my cell phone. I do not know how to do it I have seen all the instructions from the application support. I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled it many times and tried another computer but the problem persists. maybe if I can download an older version of the app there is a solution? Because I did not have any problems before the files I am trying to pass are mp3 and the previous version of the application 2 months ago played them normally

Hi there @JohnRoussos,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Have you you follow the steps that's provided in this article?

Also, can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your phone so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Another useful step is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts