Premium

Country

Sweden

Device
iPhone 8 & PC

Operating System

iOS 14.4 & Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I often use Spotify in the offline mode on both my computer and my iPhone, and recently whenever I go online on either device all of my downloaded songs get removed and Spotify begins to re-download all of the already downloaded songs. And on top of this, I also have the issue on my computer of Spotify not opening properly and only displaying a black screen. I can only get Spotify to work by re-installing the entire program and then re-downloading all of my songs again. So basically whenever I want to add a new song to my playlists I have to go online and when I do that Spotify begins to re-download all of my songs again. 

4 Replies

Hi there @sneakyfox,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Spotify will automatically re-download your playlists when you go online every 30 days. This is because Offline music is a Premium feature and the shortest Premium durations is 30 days.

If this is happening more often, we'd recommend running a clean reinstall of the app, to make sure you're running the latest version of the app and that there are no issues caused by corrupted cache. You can check out this Spotify guide for best results. Note that if you make changes to a playlist while online on one device, the app will try to re-download that playlist on your other devices once they go online as well.

Regarding the black screen - You can try to switch Hardware acceleration off from the Settings. Another thing to try is to run the app in Windows 8 compatibility mode, and see if that helps.

Hope you find this info useful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is occurring every time I go online and not every 30 days, whenever I have a full playlist downloaded and then turn the mode back to online all of those songs get removed and Spotify begins to download them all over again.

Hi again @sneakyfox

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, were you able to perform the clean reinstall that @Alex mentioned? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. 

Also, could you let us know if you noticed anything new in the desktop app?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, on phone and mobile app and it's still "re-downlaoding". No data usage.

It "re-downloads", but no data usageIt "re-downloads", but no data usage

It's more than clear that Offline data is still on SSD or micro sd card, it just "collects" pieces and "downloads" it. As one said, no data usage when it re-downloads lots and lots of tracks at once. For paid app this is not acceptable.

It just seems to "lose them" and then "researching them in cache" to transfer back Offline. It already ruined one of my micro sd card on phone, till it got corrupted. Luckily 5 year warranty was given, so got moneyback from less than 2 year old card.

Now problem is Spotify is filling storage of 32 GB phone IN storage with his 10 GB cache needs.

I stopped using Offline mode, because it literally "re-downloads" often and I am afraid it will break another micro sd card or ssd drive if I continue using them / buy new card. I might pay however €10 for 32 Gb card for just 10 Gb cache needs.

For now I just empty the cache once a week.

Can you please offer Unlimited plan with no Downloads / Audiobooks for less price?

My Spotify is Online all year long except these little moments with no 4G network or when electricity is off for hour or less.

So this is not related to Offline usage with no Internet connection for more than a month period.

Suggested posts