Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PLAYLISTS] People can’t search for my playlists

[PLAYLISTS] People can’t search for my playlists

So I have been doing some digging on this site and forums to find a solid solution to this issue, but still have found no solid fix. 
I would like to start making playlists for people to search and join in order to find new cool music. I’m aware that spotify has millions of different playlists, which means they can’t show them all, or it’d look flooded. 

What I’m curious about is, why are most of my playlists not searchable, and some are? I ask my friends to search for my playlists and they can’t find them. But if they go to my profile they can find them. If I send them the link to the playlist, they can like and add it. But if I don’t send them the playlist 9/10 times they can’t find it at all in the search. It won’t even show up in the playlist tab, even when there might be only two others. 

The playlists I ask them to find should be searchable, often it’s the only one with that name. And often I have multiple likes (I send to my friends to like it in order to ‘try’ to show up). 

Out of the 20+ I’ve made, maybe 2-4 of them come up when searching. Sadly, there hasn’t been a pattern I’ve been able to see. I have a playlist with 20ish likes that comes up in search results then I have another playlist with hundreds of likes that still doesn’t come up when people search for it (built it off of sending to everyone I know to like it, and running an IG ad to spread awareness). 

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a trick to make their playlists searchable for others. 

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPhone7 & Windows Computer

Operating System

(Windows 10

My Question or Issue

What makes a playlist searchable for others, whom haven’t liked/followed it yet?

3 Replies

Hi there @AndrewTrap,

thanks for reaching out to the Spotify community !

It would be great if you could add some examples containing the official and accurate name of your playlist and the link under it.

This way i could have a closer look on my personal account and let you know.

Waiting on your update 🙂

Here are some examples of my playlists...

These don’t show up...

Drake You And Me - Toosie Slide Playlist 

Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Pns0GU33H15WKWophkJ2q?si=QSMY1bHATrmyFjUv1Pkf7Q

(640 ish followers at the moment)

No Weakness Rod Wave Playlist - In My Feelings

Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/753uQsTbJHG7T6jwMTRS8U?si=uzsZLB-oQg2HMV61Ad3jWA

(1 Follower)

No Weakness Rod Wave Playlist - In My Feelings is a newer one - so I don’t expect that to show up right away, however there is only one other playlist with a similar name and mine still doesn’t show up. Despite theirs having 0 followers or likes. I had the playlist for a couple of days now, and don’t want to start sharing it with people if I can’t even get people to search for it like what I am experiencing with the Drake playlist, and many other newer playlists I made as well. 

These playlists show up fine.

XO TOUR LIFE Part 2

Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7x1lS0hgswFWOBH1au6Ciy?si=IGOrrc5WQCK5Yoy_OqHs_Q

(1,997 followers)

St. Louis Rap Music

Link: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1lIEjlyzUEBo9WjFfBCFg3?si=vQ0G15o9RC6xcYjcn3DD6A

(25 Followers)

Although I remember the St. Louis Rap Music Playlist had issues with appearing in search for days. Which completely messed up with me trying to build it. 

The one big outlier is the Drake You And Me - Toosie Slide Playlist. It has several hundred followers yet no one seems to find it, unless if you like it through a direct link or find it from my profile. Very odd. I’m unsure if it was searchable at a time, and now it isn’t? Or what... I know there’s a lot of other playlists with similar names, but mine is comparable in followings to the others. 

This Drake playlist seems to be the only one with a bunch of following/likes that doesn’t show up in searches still. At least out of the playlists I made.   

I am confused to how Spotify’s playlist search system works. I’ve found playlists with 0 followers who are coming up in searches.

Hi @AndrewTrap

thanks for the thorough explanation and screenshots !

The search results in Spotify are based on a mix of current and all-time popularity. But that also varies from user to user based on personal listening preferences.

This generally mean that the more streams and follows one playlists has, the bigger chances it has of showing up in search, however it's not the only thing that's being taken under consideration.

For example the algorithm might also consider the musical taste of a user when showing the search results.

I hope this shed a bit of light on the issue.

I'm always around, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know 🙂

Suggested posts