Premium

Country

United States

Device

OnePlus 8T

Operating System

Android 11 (OxygenOS)

My Question or Issue

If I play an episode from my library of downloaded podcast episodes, will Spotify use the downloaded file even if I have a cell signal or will it stream the episode unless I switch the app to offline? I'd like to avoid needing to manually switch to offline when I am away from WiFi and don't want to use cellular data.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @portviking,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

If you've downloaded episodes and you start playing them with an active internet connection, the app will start streaming the content over the network.

You can avoid this by setting your app in offline mode. If you want to find more information about the offline mode, you can click here.

Hope this helps. The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @portviking,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

If you've downloaded episodes and you start playing them with an active internet connection, the app will start streaming the content over the network.

You can avoid this by setting your app in offline mode. If you want to find more information about the offline mode, you can click here.

Hope this helps. The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like I will need to continue to use my other podcast app, at least until Spotify adds the ability to play downloaded episodes by default and then delete the downloaded file when done. For background, I only play music on Spotify when I am connected to WiFi; I only listen to podcasts (with another app) when in my car and away from WiFi, and do not want to use cellular data. Remembering to turn on and off the offline mode when using Spotify is too cumbersome. I will periodically check Spotify to see if they end up adding the features I need.

Suggested posts