Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist doesn't play all songs

Solved!

Playlist doesn't play all songs

Hello, 

Lastly, when I want to listen to my own playlist with more then 1000 songs and I select Shuffle, he doesn't play every song anymore. In fact, I only hear the first 100 songs and not more. How can this happen en how can I fix this. My playlist is private but if you need to make my playlist open, I will do that. 

39 Replies

Hi @Tagrende,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Have you noticed if this happens only when you're connected to the internet, or also when you're offline? 

Also, could you try to stream music from your PC to your phone to see if there's a difference? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I’ve just started having this issue on one particular playlist. Turned out if I turn off Spotify’s ‘enhanced’ it allows me to play all my playlist. With enhanced on, the more recently added tracks won’t play and if clicked on, stop playing whatever track is playing at the time.

Clearly a bug in the system, hope this tip might help someone. 

I’ve been having this issue for years. Over 2000 songs on a shuffled playlist and downloaded to my phone. The same 50 have played until I hate them. 

one day on a flight in airplane mode I opened Spotify and my whole playlist was playing. Now if I’m in airplane mode I hear music I’ve forgotten I’ve added. 

I'm convinced that it has to do with internet connectivity and Spotify choosing to play the music with the lowest cost royalties. 

This problem has been present for years. When I switched to Apple Music and transferred my personally created Playlists, the problem goes away. I'm hearing many songs from my personal Playlists that I haven't heard in years! I'm also using Tidal for comparison, and they don't have the issue either. I'm hearing songs that I haven't heard for quite some time. I like Spotify UI the best so I wish they could fix this. Evidently, I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Buy premium it plays all of them finally I had this problem forever but I bought premium and it’s playing songs I haven’t heard in months 

I have a premium account and I have never been able to play more than 100 songs from my 37hours playlist. I use the iOS app. Is there any open bug on the subject?

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

To start with, can you let us know if you tried the troubleshooting that's been provided in the thread?

On another note, does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Have a great Friday and start of your weekend 🙂

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have a very similar issue going on with the Windows app - I have a playlist created for a collaborative project I'm working on with a group of people, where we are adding songs that we potentially intend to acquire licencing for, to use them in the project. The playlist has around 120 tracks added to it now, but every single time I attempt to listen to the playlist, it'll play a single track and then moves on to music that doesn't appear in the list - and very often music that I have no personal interest in.

What it feels like to me - and I might just be jaded! - is that we're being forced to listen to music that we do not personally select, perhaps because those tracks are being 'boosted' with a spend from the artists/record labels?

Regardless, we are now having to find other options to collate music for our project, because this platform no longer works for us.

Hey @nsgerman,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation. 

The issue you mentioned is most likely queue-related. When you add a song to the queue, it will play after the track that is currently playing. If an entire album or playlist was added to the queue by mistake, it will keep playing after any song you picked. This would explain why your music jumps to a different playlist.

To fix it, open the queue icon (OscarDC_2-1666653937657.png) and select the option "Clear queue". This will delete all the songs added to the queue to continue playing your current selection without jumping between playlists. You can check more info in this article

However, if the issue persists after clearing the queue, it's possible that someone could be using your account at the same time without authorization. In this case, we'd recommend checking the steps in this article to secure your account.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Even on a smaller playlist I get the tracks played on shuffle/repeat down to about 5 or 6, and why can't I even play the whole playlist in order. Thinking about changing. 

Hey @jmuschner,

Thanks for your reply. 

In this case, since you mentioned you can't listen to a specific playlist in order, would you mind sending us a video recording of that behavior?  You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it. We'd also suggest you give a look to what @OscarDC explained above, so you can be sure the queue is not leading to this.

On another note, can you share with us the exact make/model and OS of your affected device along with the Spotify version you have currently running?

Lastly, we'd like you to know that we located this similar idea about the Shuffle behavior. We’d recommend adding your vote in the thumbs up icon and subscribing to the idea to get notified as soon as we have any updates to share.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I've seen this common complaint, but then it seems like it has been "fixed" with a variety of techniques. I am really just using my iphone to play Spotify, but regardless which playlist I use from my library, I get about 100 songs (out of 1500 to 2000) over and over. I've tried logging out and back in - no help

Looks like the Spotify crew are guessing rather than finding a solution - maybe becuase one does not existing.   This is an issue for me too.  The same songs are played - the full playlist never gets played.

I have the same issue. But it is not my playlist and it is not that big of a playlist (about 250 songs). I have Spotify free so the algoritm picked some songs and they are now my favorite songs (apparently).

This is an unacceptable suggestion.  

The whole Playlist should be randomly generated without an algorithm based on previous play activity. 

The songs are in the Playlist to be heard. Shuffle is used to hear songs in a random order.

Using an algorithm based on listening history is NOT random.

very sad. Seems like one of the most basic principles of a music aggregation app is to be able to play entire playlists and shuffle at random. VLC can do it, and it is open source. WinAmp could do it in 2002. Youtube can do it. What is the deal? I am paying a monthly service for what? Seems to me the issue is quite simple. Spotify limits your allocated memory on their servers, and then when you fill that memory with songs, it does not have a kind of cycling feature to replace what is in RAM with new songs. This is poor programming on the most basic level for an audio playlist streaming application. How has this issue not been prioritized with your programmers if it has existing this many years? I get it. I got my year review from Spotify and I listen to more music than 98% of their users. I guess this is my fault. If you don't listen to a lot of music, this issue is not yours, but if you listen to music regularly, and have a large selection of playlists and liked songs, Spotify is happy to make your experience sub-par because you are a resource hog based on how their resources are distributed among their users

I agree with @jon66x and @Ranter above. If the issue is due to the 'algorithm' favouring songs I listen to more, how will I ever listen to the remaining songs in my playlist? It's a self-licking icecream.

Why can't I have a setting to disable this algorithm and simply allow me to listen to my playlists in a truly random order??

I have been having this same issue too. My playlist is small, around 30 songs however only 1 song from my playlist plays and the rest is music that spotify added??? Honestly i think this **bleep**, the songs that spotify algorithm added is horrible and its repeating over and over. I also noticed there is no specific solution, how will i ever be able to listen to rest of my playlist?? I cant just keep deleting and reinstalling the app, that takes quite some time... Spotify needs to find an permanent solution....

I found the fault; it is in the seamless play option. Unselect that and all
is well in the world.

This has annoyed me for years. Seriously considering another provider. Happens on multiple devices, whether it's iOS, MacOS or Chrome browser via Windows 10. 

Decided to do some testing and I've discovered something curious about the Queue. It's populated with 81 songs when you do any of the following:

• Select a playlist, click play on the first song when random is not selected
  • Select random when playing a song within a playlist

It appears to me that some **bleep** decided that the way to play a playlist is by populating the queue and only play the queue. This means that only the 81 songs from a playlist will ever be played (well for MacOS, Chrome browser and iOS, I cannot speak to Android). I don't know what genius thought that this would be a great user experience. Feels very much like it's a solution designed by a developer, as it would simplify the development. 
Kinda surprises me, I would have thought Spotify would be more focused on user centered design and not so focused on what is easiest for the developer.
Now that I know this is the decision made my Product Management and considering that I pay for the premium service, I'm going to investigate YouTube Music and other alternatives. Obviously Spotify don't give a rat's furry behind for their users with larger playlists. I cannot believe that the Product Management isn't aware of this problem, and I cannot believe that any competent UX designer would allow this to slide without a fight. So this means to me that Spotify care more about ease of development and do not give an iota about the use cases of users who have play lists over 81 songs.

I'm sure that they've done some quantitative analysis on the number of playlists above 81 songs and how many users are impacted by such a decision. And feel that if don't fess up to the decision then it's not that big an impact to their bottom line. 

I hope that they feel comfortable with the decision that they have made, because I will be leaving Spotify and will be informing every single person of how Spotify will sacrifice functionality when it suites them.

Suggested posts