Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium User, shuffle is off but Spotify still shuffling songs -prior support suggestions don't work

Premium User, shuffle is off but Spotify still shuffling songs -prior support suggestions don't work

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Windows 10 Dell laptop in particular, but site-wide

My Question or Issue

So after being sick of only hearing the same 100 songs on my playlist if I used shuffle play, I decided to try what I thought was a fool-proof method of getting around this limitation: I sorted my playlist by song length and turned off shuffle. Should be good, right?

Well, it did well for a while, but today, it decided that it was going to change the queue on me and it started grouping artists together if the song length was the same amount, even if the playlist had them in a different order. Also, the length of time didn't seem to matter, even though that's what I was sorting on.

So the playlist shows something like:

Artist A - song 1

Artist B - song 1

Artist C - song 1

Artist A - song 2

Artist B - song 2

Artist C - song 2

Artist A - song 3

Artist B - song 3

Artist C - song 3

But the Queue shows something like:

Artist A - song 1

Artist A - song 2

Artist A - song 3

Artist B - song 1

Artist B - song 2

Artist B - song 3

Artist C - song 1

Artist C - song 2

Artist C - song 3

I noticed this topic has come up before, and the suggestions were to clear out the cache and uninstall / reinstall the app. I followed those instructions, and the issue persisted.

I discovered that if I changed the sort type and played a song, the queue would reset to playlist order for a song, but after that song, it reverted back into the "sort by artist in the queue". It did this for every sort type I tried.

In an ideal world, I would prefer a shuffle feature like Windows Media Player used to have where it would remove the song from the list once it was played so that the you would only hear each song once unless you started it over again, but I know that Spotify doesn't seem to agree with me or the numerous other people who want this feature.

In its stead, can you please help with fixing this problem?

I appreciate it!

4 Replies

Hey @sithbelle89,

Thanks for your post!

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So....how does that actually help with the issue that I originally asked? I'm aware of how the forum works (read: popularity contest).

I would like a solution to the problem that I described in my post, where the queue doesn't play the correct order of the playlist.

Any help regarding that issue would be greatly appreciated!

Hey @sithbelle89,

Thanks for your reply.

What we've gathered from your OP is that you'd like a more advanced and customizable shuffle function, this is why we suggested that you submit this as an Idea, so other users can vote for it.

Regarding the queue - it is a list of songs, which gets automatically generated once you start a playlist with certain sorting. It does not work as a normal playlist in Spotify, unlike some other music apps. The best way to use the queue is to add songs which you want to hear in order. The queue won't update automatically if you change the sorting of the playlist which you're streaming. You'd have to pause the song, sort the playlist and play a song from the list again.

Hope this clears things up. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for acknowledging the actual issue I am having with the queue. 

I am extremely disappointed that Spotify somehow doesn't have the capacity to play songs in order that it sorts in. It seems like it would be a very basic thing to implement. Or, show the playlist in the order it will actually play instead of some other order. I just don't get how it's difficult to do. And no, I'm not actually looking for a response as to why. I know it's lack of interest, and I don't expect anyone to actually fix it.

Hopefully a better product will come around that I can switch to someday, or Spotify will hire developers that actually listen to music on their own platform.

Even better would be to make shuffle not suck, but again, I know that's not going to happen.

No further reply is necessary, as it's just a waste of both of our time. Have a good one!

Suggested posts