Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Recently Played Artists Don't Update on Profile Load

Recently Played Artists Don't Update on Profile Load

Plan: Premium

The Recently Played Artists doesn't appear to update on profile load anymore. The only way I've been able to get it to update is by clearing my cache and reloading the app, which forces it to get the profile in its latest state.

10 Replies

Hey @brandon__bauer,

Thanks for reaching about this on the Community!

Let's try troubleshoot this situation together. First off, could you confirm that this exact feature is still enabled from the Settings menu of your Spotify app? If yes, then we can suggest few more things to try out.

Does this happen to all your devices, or in other words have you tried to log in from a different device to see if the issue still persists. You could also try and log out and log back in your app two times in a row, this is a bit odd, but is how the app is actually forced to resynchronize. Also have you observed your account from somebody else's account - you can do this to see what is actually seen by other users and to doublecheck if the recently played artists correspond to what you see in your account. 

Keep us in the loop here. We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, this feature is still enabled in settings. My account seems to load fine, but if I look at other's accounts, it doesn't reload the most recently played artists unless I clear cache. It seems to happen on all my devices.

I just tried your suggestion of logging out and logging back in twice. I also cleared my Android phone's app data and then uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my Windows machine, and it did force a reload of this section. However, after I go check a profile after a song is shown as listened on the Friend Activity, it does not update the respective profile's Recently Played Artists if I had looked at the profile prior. If I clear the cache or reinstall the app, it does force a reload, but only one time until my cache gets cleared again. 

That being said, my profile seems to update instantaneously after I fully listen to a song. It just seems to be a problem with other people's profiles that have this feature enabled.

I feel like the issue may be that Spotify itself is holding on to a cached profile for too long, thus causing things to "not be up to date" when a user goes to look.

I’ve had the same issue, tried the same solutions. None of it worked.

Hey again @brandon__bauer,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here!

So could we confirm, that your own profile's Recently played artists section now behaves as expected?

If you have thoughts and suggestions about changing current features or functions of the Spotify app, you can submit them in our Idea Exchange boards. All the relevant info about our Idea Exchange and how the Community feedback gets implemented could be found here - if you'd like to know more about the topic.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply, thanks!

Mario Moderator

The problem is that other peoples profiles are caching an older version of their Recently Played Artists. If they listen to a song after I already looked at their profile, it does not update right away/instantly anymore. @Mario

Hi @brandon__bauer,

Thanks for your swift reply!

The songs in the Friend Feed and in the Recently Played section do show up with some delay. Usually with the Friend Feed it could be a song behind and with Recently Played when the user has finished their session. 

We have an idea about changing how the Friend Feed works here. If you'd like to propose a suggestion on how the feature could be improved, then you're more than welcome to do so in our Idea Exchange boards as well. Beforehand, you can familiarize yourself with the guidelines for Idea submissions, so your suggestion gets approved.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

ElenaModerator

I have the same problem. My recently played updates as soon as I listen to a song, but other user profiles recently played only updates if I log out and back into the app or clear the cache and data from my phone. Did you find a solution?

@mario I’m having the same problem, can someone please look into this? But annoying paying so much money a month for an app that doesn’t work, cheers!

Suggested posts