Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

The recommended songs at the bottom of my main playlist never change or update. Upon hitting refresh the whole UI breaks, duplicating the songs already in the recommended list underneath, overflowing the window (covering the refresh button).

I've tried updating, redownloading and installing, creating a new playlist with the same songs (still has the same recommended songs).

Adding a song from the recommended also causes this overflow break and then instead of adding a new song to the recommended list, duplicates the ones left.
If I add all the songs in the recommended list the entire recommended option disappears and is replaced by the 'find more' option. 
If a song is added from recommended, Spotify rebooted and then removed from the playlist the song simply gets put back into the recommended.
Have I just completely broken the recommended algorithm to the point where it has no more songs to recommend?

ZeppelinGames_0-1655120899300.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ZeppelinGames,

Thanks for the extensive descriptions and screenshots.

We understand there is always some polishing left to do in the app and we constantly try to improve the user experience.

The mentioned issue is a very isolated one and we can't promise it'll take precedence. Rest assured, we hope to see the recommendations feature function properly soon.

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Hey @ZeppelinGames,

Thank you for the detailed description!
We're sorry to see you've been affected by this issue.

Would you mind logging yourself out of Spotify and then back in two times in a row?
This will force a sync on all levels and should resolve such inconsistencies.

Let us know how it goes 🙂
We'll be on the lookout for your response.

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey @Vasil,
No luck unfortunately. After logging in and out twice (trying both remember me enabled and disabled as well as closing the application after logging out), the same issue occurs, the songs do not change or update and the UI still breaks when hitting refresh.
Even after adding all songs to a new playlist and then attempting a double login/logout the same songs appear as in the original playlist's recommended and the UI still overflows. 
Unsure why this would be the case unless the only possible recommended songs are the ones listed (which wouldn't be the case).

ZeppelinGames_0-1655206821717.png

Hey @ZeppelinGames,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be on the safe side, do you mind performing a clean reinstall of the app as described on this page?

If the issue still occurs afterwards, could you check if it is so on all playlists on your account or only particular ones?

Talking about accounts, what happens on a different account on your device? This'll let us find out if the issue is related to your account.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Hey @Dian,
Just did a full reinstall as per instructions above (which might actually need an update, Windows settings have moved around a bit). Upon logging back in and selecting the playlist in question there was 1 new song!

ZeppelinGames_0-1655273906900.png

Unfortunately upon hitting refresh the same issue occured but didnt break as fast this time. After a few pressed of the refresh button (with the same songs cycling), they overflowed again. 

ZeppelinGames_1-1655273980602.png

On my laptop (Win 10), same issue as desktop, broken UI and same songs. Mobile (Android 12, Google Pixel 6) also displays the same recommended songs (although no UI issue there, displays only 1-3 songs at a time).

This bug does occur on another playlist. The issue may be the amount of songs in the playlist as the only playlists that it occurs on have over 250 songs (292 in this one, 263 in another). Any playlists under this song count work fine, don't have the UI bug and can generate new recommended songs.

Hey @ZeppelinGames,

Thanks for your last reply.

In order to check this further, could you send us the exact make/model and Spotify version installed on your devices?

On another note, tell us if this happens when logging in with the web player too.

Lastly, let us know if this behavior started as soon as you created one of said playlists (+250 songs) or if it started after a recent update. 

We'll stay tuned. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hey @AndresM,

Here's a bit more info on the issue:
Tested on Windows 10 21H2, 64bit, web (Chrome, same PC)
Tested on 3 different screen resolutions, 2560x1440, 1920x1080 and 1440x900
Spotify Version is 1.187.612.0, installed from the Microsoft Store

The web player also has the same issues (see gif):

spotify.gif

As far as I know the issue starting occurring after the playlist had a certain amount of songs in it as the bug has been occurring for sometime now (if I had to guess, around 6 months).

From a couple of tests (on Desktop) :
<= 200 songs: no issue 
> 200 songs: UI overflow occurs if refresh is hit too many times, but new songs are still generated/cycle.

spotify200.gif

> 250 songs: Starts duplicating/repeating songs. UI breaks quickly.

Hope this helps. 

Hey there @ZeppelinGames

Thanks for your reply. 

Would you mind  trying with a different network, for example creating a hotspot on your phone and using that to see if that makes the difference?

On another note, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your PC to see if the issue persists with a different account?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Eni,
Sorry about the slow response. 
I tried it on 3 different networks, 5ghz, 2.4ghz and hotspot. All still have the same issue. 
I created a new account, new playlist on that account and then added all the songs from my original playlist to that account. The issue still occurs, the recommended songs are still the same on this new account and UI still overflows. 
I then also tried, on the new account, creating a new playlist with completely different songs at the 250 song count. The recommendations worked fine and no UI overflow occurred, leading me to believe it may be an issue with the songs themselves?
I've made the playlist public if you guys want to try replicate the issue on your end: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ULdXuo5z8OtHbzNm4G9o0?si=f614595837ae4a9f

Here's what I'm doing to replicate the issue:
1. Create new playlist
2. Select all from above playlist
3. Right click, add to playlist
4. Add to newly created playlist
5. Wait for recommendations to appear
6. Hit refresh once or twice to see updated songs/UI break

Hopefully this helps you guys out.

Marked as solution

Hey @ZeppelinGames,

Thanks for the extensive descriptions and screenshots.

We understand there is always some polishing left to do in the app and we constantly try to improve the user experience.

The mentioned issue is a very isolated one and we can't promise it'll take precedence. Rest assured, we hope to see the recommendations feature function properly soon.

Let us know if we can help with anything else,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Welp.
Thanks for the attempt and your time anyway. Hopefully it'll fix itself in a future update.

Plan: Premium

Device: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Operating System: macOS Monterey version 12.4

My Question or Issue: It appears an old issue has cropped up again, previously resolved here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Refresh-button-for-Recommended-songs-section-not-wor...

It appears that duplicate options are being listed in the Recommended section at the bottom of a Playlist. Hitting the refresh button does not refresh songs but rather compounds the issue, causing the Refresh button to appear within options to choose from. The songs do not change- the entire feature just seems broken. Note that rebooting Spotify does not resolve this. This does not seem to happen on other playlists, but this has 254 songs (in case that's the issue). Creating a new playlist and adding the same songs from the original playlist duplicates the issue.

Link to said playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5fza67UvyBD6qg3AfjSPfw?si=64d0b27c60be47ab

playlist recommended when I open spotify.png
playlist recommended.png

Copying your songs into a new playlist on my account still has the issue. Its not the specific playlist or tied to an account. It definitely seems to be a song count or songs issue with the playlists.
Here's what I get:

ZeppelinGames_0-1656905006343.png

ZeppelinGames_1-1656905027639.png

Hey folks!

Just wanted to let you know that our tech folks are currently investigating this. Rest assured we'll keep you updated here as soon as we have any information to share.

@ZeppelinGames, you mentioned that this occurs on more than one playlist for you: would you mind sharing the URLs to the playlists where this issue is present so we can forward them to the right team? This would help narrow down the probable causes.

Thanks!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Every time I go to add a song into my playlist from the recommended songs, the same songs show up every time I refresh, and often multiple of the same songs on the same page of recommended (e.g., I have had 'Marcel by Her's show up 3 times in one refresh). Along with this, each time I refresh, the recommended songs, the list just continues to get longer until the refresh button is completely covered (picture is attached). This problem has been going on across multiple platforms, such as my iPhone, Macbook, and my Windows computer, so I'm starting to believe it's not an isolated thing. It's been going on for months as well, and it's just more annoying than anything as I really enjoyed discovering new music through it. I have looked at the other threads on here and cannot find a solution that fixes my issue, and apparently it was supposedly fixed (correct me if I'm wrong). It also happens across all of my playlists, which is making me think Spotify isn't just 'running out of suggestions', as I have seen some people suggest, as some of my playlists are not particularly long. I appreciate any help I can get! Thankyou!

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.47.49 pm.png

I have the same issue on multiple playlists....really hope this is fixed soon, one of my fav aspects of Spotify

Yea I have been having the same issue that you have had. I have one playlist with 475 songs and then another with 375 songs. I tried using the recommended song feature and I have even added songs from these recommended songs. The songs don't refresh properly and also show the same songs over and over. Also the songs that I have added to my playlist also show up again after refreshing.

Same issue. It begin +- last weeks. Before bug it works properly.

This has been an issue for years, and likely won't be fixed any time soon.

Suggested posts