Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Recommended songs feature broken, displaying songs already in my playlist

Solved!

Recommended songs feature broken, displaying songs already in my playlist

I have Spotify premium which I use across multiple devices, and whenever I scroll down for recommended songs in one of my playlists, it displays songs that are already in the playlists and most of the times entirely different genres as well.

It's pretty upsetting considering it used to work great and introduced me to many new artists.

Screenshot 2020-11-05 222321.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there again @Kerbo,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you let me know how it look after you performed the clean reinstall of the apps?

Also - you can try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist.

Keep us posted.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Hey there @Kerbo,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you perform a clean reinstall? This step will clean the cache and corrupted files from previous installations that can cause issues.

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

It would also be great if you'd let us know which version/versions you have on the device/devices this occur on.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hey Jeremy,
It occurs on all my devices, both mobile and PC. Though (strangely) it occurs more on one playlist then it does on other playlists. I'm using the latest version of Spotify.
Marked as solution

Hey there again @Kerbo,

Can you let me know how it look after you performed the clean reinstall of the apps?

Also - you can try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist.

Keep us posted.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator

I just tried it on my school network and the issue doesn't seem to appear, I'll reinstall the apps later today and see if it changes anything.

Hey again @Kerbo,

Thank you for your post and confirmation.

Do so 🙂 We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Sorry for the late response, but the issue doesn't seem to reappear. I didn't reinstall Spotify but it did update.

Anyway thanks for the support!

Hey @Kerbo,

Really good to hear that everything works for you again 🙂

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Kudos to this, since I saw this bug appearing and disappearing lots of times in the past years. Lately, in "recommended" section, I keep seeing lots (almost all) of songs that are already in the current playlist! 😞 Looks like this feature became less and less smarter during time. Hope it will we fixed. Thanks!

Yep, noticing that it's happening to all of my playlists now.

Hey @Kerbo,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you try Logging out everywhere and logging back in?

Also, could you check if this is happening on playlists with less than 100 tracks as well?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've been having this problem for months. I've tried updating and reinstalling the apps on desktop and phone (android). Tried logging out and back in. Even tried, at the request of the customer service rep, creating a whole new account. None of these things fixed it. I would really appreciate it if you could prioritize fixing this. It seems to be a programming problem on your end. If the app was programmed properly it would not recommend duplicate songs. All it needs to do is a simple check for each recommended song and not put ones in recommendations that are already listed on the playlist. How hard is this to do?

The fact that this problem is recurring is a sign that you all aren't doing your jobs effectively. I'm a paying customer. I have been for at least a couple years now. I want this problem fixed.

Hey @cazort,

Thanks for the post.

Can you clarify if you were seeing recommendations for songs already in the playlist with the test account that customer service has provided you as well?

Also, tell us if this is happening with playlists that contain less than 100 tracks on your primary account.

We'll be happy to help.

AlexModerator

noobwizard_0-1633213415552.png

Literally have had this problem for months as well. Fix your app, Spotify. Can someone please help me... It's been extremely frustrating with this bug the developers refuse to fix. I've reinstalled it a few times & logged out of all locations, and I have more than 100 songs in my playlist. 

Hey @noobwizard,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good. 

Just to double-check-are there any changes when you try with another network or on another device?

If nothing changes, could you share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

I've got this problem too, except I can't do a "clean reinstall" because I'm using the web version of Spotify on Google Chrome. I'm using a Chromebook (so Chromium OS).

I've cleared my cache, tried on different internet connections, logged out and back in, and used different devices — none of that has worked. The playlist has 470 songs, and of my three total playlists, it's the only one doing this (though the other playlists are very small compared to this one).

Hey @PhoeNixoli,

Thanks for the post.

We've passed you info on to the relevant team at Spotify who are investigating this.

We don't have official info on when or if this will be fixed. 

What you can try is to transfer the contents of this playlist to a new one. This can be done using the Desktop app, as there you can batch-select items. 

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Spotify Premium here. The recommended songs in playlists, which are at the bottom, are almost in all cases songs I already have in other playlists, even in my Liked Songs. This occurs on all my devices, Apple and Android, Windows, old versions, new versions, etc. Really annoying. 

Hey @Hajzlbaba,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you let us know if this is happening on all of your playlists?

Note that if the playlist contains songs only from a specific genre or just a few artists, there might not be that many similar songs which the algorithm can recommend.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I have attempted all suggested fixes:

- clean uninstall/reset multiple times on all devices

- different device, internet source

- copied to a new playlist

- logout on all devices

Continues to suggest songs that already exist in playlist - over 500 songs of varied genres.

Please provide a solution for me.

Suggested posts