NEXT STEP

Spotify recommending songs already in a playlist

Spotify recommending songs already in a playlist

Plan

Premium

Country
Canada

Device

(Samsung Galaxy 9+, WebPlayer, Desktop App)

Operating System

(iAndroid Oreo, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Spotify recommends songs already in my playlists, sometimes the song is in the playlist it is basing the recommendation on. This makes no sense. It would be like me walking into a shoe store for recommendations for new shoes and the salesperson looking at my shoes and recommending 5 pairs of shoes where one pair is the same shoes I have on. It would also be nice if there was an option to permanently mark a recommendation to not be recommended again.

Thanks

52 Replies

noobwizard_0-1633213415552.png

Literally have had this problem for months as well. Fix your app, Spotify. Can someone please help me... It's been extremely frustrating with this bug the developers refuse to fix. I've reinstalled it a few times & logged out of all locations, and I have more than 100 songs in my playlist. 

Hey @noobwizard,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far are very good. 

Just to double-check-are there any changes when you try with another network or on another device?

If nothing changes, could you share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've got this problem too, except I can't do a "clean reinstall" because I'm using the web version of Spotify on Google Chrome. I'm using a Chromebook (so Chromium OS).

I've cleared my cache, tried on different internet connections, logged out and back in, and used different devices — none of that has worked. The playlist has 470 songs, and of my three total playlists, it's the only one doing this (though the other playlists are very small compared to this one).

Hey @PhoeNixoli,

Thanks for the post.

We've passed you info on to the relevant team at Spotify who are investigating this.

We don't have official info on when or if this will be fixed. 

What you can try is to transfer the contents of this playlist to a new one. This can be done using the Desktop app, as there you can batch-select items. 

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Spotify Premium here. The recommended songs in playlists, which are at the bottom, are almost in all cases songs I already have in other playlists, even in my Liked Songs. This occurs on all my devices, Apple and Android, Windows, old versions, new versions, etc. Really annoying. 

Hey @Hajzlbaba,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you let us know if this is happening on all of your playlists?

Note that if the playlist contains songs only from a specific genre or just a few artists, there might not be that many similar songs which the algorithm can recommend.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I have attempted all suggested fixes:

- clean uninstall/reset multiple times on all devices

- different device, internet source

- copied to a new playlist

- logout on all devices

Continues to suggest songs that already exist in playlist - over 500 songs of varied genres.

Please provide a solution for me.

Hey @samzw23!

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community!

Does this happen to other lists of yours or just this one? Do you get songs that are already the list when you go to Refresh the tracks with the button at the very bottom?

Could you try splitting the playlist in smaller chunks (max 100 tracks) in new lists to see if that makes a difference?

If that's not causing the issue, could you let us what devices you're using and the Spotify and OS versions installed on them?

We'll be on the lookout for your answer. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

ElenaModerator

This is the only playlist I use regularly, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with other playlists in my library - all with much smaller tracklists.

When I refresh it keeps throwing up tracks already in the playlist - usually the same cycle of songs.

I have tried splitting the playlist into 100 song chunks. I get a few songs that don't exist in the original, but the majority are either in the new 100 track playlist or from the original 500 track playlist.

The main devices I use are an iPad with version 8.6.94.351 and an iPhone with 8.6.94.351. I also have a desktop version on macbook pro with 1.1.64.561 - but I rarely if ever use that device.

Hey @samzw23,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Just to double-check-are there any changes when you try with another account on the same devices?

Keep us in the loop. 

Ver Moderator

Hi @CarlosE!

I was running into this exact problem today and was wondering if there is any update on the issue?

Cheers!

Hey @DutchJonne,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

We have no news for now about this behavior, however we can add your feedback to our reports. Could you please also share with us your device's details (device's make and model, OS and Spotify versions installed). It'd be great if we also get some screenshots and the links of both songs (the one which is already in your playlist and the other which appears in your recommendations) so the right folks could take a closer look and analyze the situation.

Monitor this thread here for more info and we can also recommend keeping your app updated at all times, so not to miss any eventual fixes.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

Spotify details:

Plan

Premium (as part of a family subscription)

Country

NL

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.76.447.g11f432d8

I attached a screenshot of the described behavior. I created a test playlist where I just dumped all the songs from the playlists "All out of ##s" from 60s till 2010s.

The first song in the recommended was "Stuck In The Middle With You". When searching the playlist, I noticed that this wasn't in the list, so I added it. However, when I went to the main screen and returned to the playlist, the song was still recommended, but also in my playlist. The two URIs at the bottom of the screenshot are from this song.

I did the same for "Don't Stop", and the same thing happened. It was still present in the recommended section after adding it to the playlist.

stuck_with_duplicates.png

Hi @DutchJonne,

Thanks for sharing these details!

We've added your feedbacks to our reports, so the right team can look into this. While we cannot provide a timeline for a fix as of yet, rest assured we'll check back in here when we have any new information to share.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

As a premium member for many years, I came here to read about and report this issue, too. 

I have a 1,500 song playlist comprised of jazz songs.  Clearly a very large field of music from which to draw.   However, in the last six-to-nine months, the web/Windows app version and the mobile version's recommend list are comprised mostly songs already in the playlist.  

EDIT:  This issue is happening with all of my playlists - just confirmed in a 70s-2000s rock genre playlist.  

The recommended list used to be the way I grew my playlist but no longer.   Yes, I have tried all the tips here (log out, clear cache, reload app), even though they cannot possibly be related to what is most likely an internal Spotify bug.

Please address this.

Hi @BeechV35Pilot,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the Community.

Here's an idea about preventing duplicate tracks in the recommendations tab that you may find interesting. Feel free to check it out (if you haven't already) and +VOTE for it if you agree with what the user is suggesting. If the idea gets sufficient votes within the next couple of months, Spotify Staff will look into it for a potential implementation. You can also Subscribe to the thread so you're notified when there are any updates on the matter.

Thanks again for trying to make Spotify better. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I tried both of these solutions and it keeps happening on all my playlists. Most of the songs recommended are already on it

Hi there @Lauren637,

Thank you for posting in this thread.

For now we suggest that you head over to the idea that was posted and leave a +LIKE and Subscribe to it so that you don't miss any updates.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime 🙂

Have a great continued weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I’ve had this issue for years. I’m not sure what it is but normally when one of my playlist pass 100 songs the suggested music just loops the same 15ish songs already in my playlist. I’m not exactly sure what the issue is but I doubt it’s something they’ll ever fix. 

I've been looking for a solution for this for years. Doesn't look like Spotify is interested in fixing this. My main playlist has 1650 songs in it, and I constantly get recommendations for songs that are already in my playlist. Also even the "Enhance" playlist feature says it will add like 800 more songs for my playlist, and most of the songs it adds are duplicates of songs already in my playlist. Its very frustrating to pay for Premium so I can explore and find new music and it simply doesn't work.

Suggested posts