Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

I constantly find my Release Radar recommending songs by an artist (say A) with the same name as an artist (say A') that I might actually wanna listen to. This is extremely dumb as an issue because these two artists are listed as genuinely different artists in Spotify and the newly recommended song by a wrong artist is listed as a song of A' in the system. A reasonable conclusion is that at least Release Radar does not look into the artist IDs but just merely refers to their names. This happens to like 5 different artists to me and my Release Radar is contaminated by songs which I have absolutely no interest in. I believe this is a very basic bug that can be fixed in like 5 minutes.

319 Replies

If you click on the "here" link in your message and then on the "contact support" link on the page that appears, you get a link back to the Community.  You're just sending us around in circles.

MOE.  is not moe.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2AqHKPF1p7XunEZ01TOdJ1?si=OAfZ7rjySTq70BBzMCyw9g

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2ZfHMUPrxoZNDTBPHmmdhj?si=s_ANZcNnQ6uJHwY8fqQ0IQ

is there any solution in the meantime? I have been experiencing this problem for over a year now as well. With artists that steal names like:

- Slash
- Clueso
- John Williams
- Racer-X

- Santana 

etc.

spotify what do you need in order to fix it? I million people reporting it?

The issue is probably so far down on their list of priorities that they just don't give a shīt, unfortunately. 

They're too busy trying to develop their platform into a "pay-for-play" model it looks like 👀 

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/11/spotify-finds-a-pay-for-play-workaround/

What about you guys create a support issue using the Spotify lango that for sure would be clear for the devs, and stop redirecting people to whatever site/forum/support platform. The hundreds of comments placed here about the same issue clearly represent a common pattern/problem. Is just a matter of issue priority now and what it seems is that this is far down in the priority list although it affects thousands or millions of users....

Encountered this problem a few times the last few months, mostly with heavy metal artists. Wrong Polar, wrong Caliban, wrong Architects, etc. Spoke to support today, who also asked me to delete my phone's (where the main issue supposedly was) cache, do a clean reinstall, and also resetted the connection between my device and their server (or sth like that). They didn't address why I'm getting releases from artists I don't follow (e.g. Sia, I don't listen to her at all, yet I get her songs in my RR), though. I'll only know next week if this helped, so if it did I'll update y'all.

Gave it two weeks, but no dice. The resetting "fix" didn't work, I still have the wrong Red and Polar and stuff in my release radar.

Exact same issue. I'm in the shower listening to my release radar and this awful "Devo" (Not actual Devo) song comes on. I've got shampoo in my hair and I'm stuck! What the heck!

my release radar is full of useless-unbearable-garbage  (underlined are the artists shadowed by explicit content and sh!tty hiphop tunes)

Capture.PNG

stop putting **bleep**  into my ears for my own money!

xxx love

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

As @Katerina mentioned the best way to report this is by getting in touch with our support team here. They can have a closer direct look at your accounts.

You can also leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to this idea for any updates.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the issue is that that won't and doesn't solve the problem. I got into contact and nothing that was done fixed it. It really does seem like something that is up with Spotify itself (the algorithm or the way artists are tagged--not by ID but name, maybe?), not our accounts. 

I follow the metalband Engel. But what is this ugly song here? How is it even possible, that I have a song like this on my release radar?

https://open.spotify.com/track/1IlcQOjwzONG5RihvQBuny?si=Pm8jxf_gQHqvV3UI51OyOg

I also follow ronnie james dio. But can you explain to me what this is?
spotify:track:0wQuKmuxx8510u5lyfLezn

it's again on my release radar. Everytime some songs like this are on the playlist. I don't want them!

This issue has been reported for months and months and the same pat answer. Really bad.

Here are the first 9 tracks on today's release radar with all the terrible rap songs put out by artists using existing bands names.  Can you understand why this is a terrible experience for us? 

How can you even allow some rapper to use the name DEVO on your platform for instance? 

20201225_143640.jpg

• Also, how does it matter what platform I'm on when release radar playlists and such are populated on your end? 

Android 10 on a Galaxy S10+ for the record.   And here is a list of duplicate that I have noticed.

Gomez
The Cult
X
Bully
DEVO
Adolescents
Belly
Wire
Metz

"We've passed them along to our tech teams who will be looking into this."

-Marked as solved

This was in APRIL 2017, coming up to FOUR YEARS AGO.

I’m constantly dealing with random unheard of artists uploading their shitty RNB/Rap/Autotune garbage mixtapes under the names of/as collabs with my favourite heavy metal artists... why are we still dealing with this? 

I know right? Like it's at the point where these garbage autotune rap guys have got to be trolling us/Spotify and Spotify just lets it go.

Let's keep this topic at the top until they actually acknowledge it meaningfully.

Yeah let's keep this at the top.

Wrong artists this week:

-Sloan 

-Wire 

-Metz 

-Wire 

Again 10 artists in my Release Radar that are not what I was expecting:

* The Cult
* Tesla
* Dio
* Engel
* Nightingale
* Foreigner
* Kyng
* Jackyl
* Lucifer
* Elysion

They earn big money with it. Monthly. Had a guy named John Williams who did mediocre acoustic guitar instrumentals. He surely earns a couple of Euros monthly out of it.

Suggested posts