Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

Release Radar includes wrong artist with same name as desired artist

I constantly find my Release Radar recommending songs by an artist (say A) with the same name as an artist (say A') that I might actually wanna listen to. This is extremely dumb as an issue because these two artists are listed as genuinely different artists in Spotify and the newly recommended song by a wrong artist is listed as a song of A' in the system. A reasonable conclusion is that at least Release Radar does not look into the artist IDs but just merely refers to their names. This happens to like 5 different artists to me and my Release Radar is contaminated by songs which I have absolutely no interest in. I believe this is a very basic bug that can be fixed in like 5 minutes.

319 Replies

Thanks for your patient explanation, Mihail.

Thank you for the quick reply! I misunderstood the question in that case.
As far as I know I don't follow any artists with similar names. However
these songs and artists were VERY different from the music I normally
listen to. I mostly listen to alternative rock but this was lots of Spanish
and jazz... both of which I'm 100% sure I never listened to.

from the recent release radar wrong EMS artist:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6XM1IyDtXxNl6uOUax5mGH
I'm following the actual 'TRUE' EMS electronic music artist
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2EslrPb8o2EPM186KCcJyx?si=VGot1D_YR8GVm7MdhXMyOg

The artist About section is all correct.

There are at least 2 other different artist with same name with song and albums listed
Capture3.PNG

The Internet

Artist I follow: spotify:track:3PFaFVWq5wucLu6s4baj9D

Artist I don't that appears in Release Radar: spotify:track:4c7CG9wW5DZLiQbOqejZNe

This happens to me every single week. It's insane this hasn't been fixed for years.  Release Radar should operate using URI, not Artist Name blindly

Today's offender:

Offending song URI: spotify:track:34wvBAKz92qCb5t626blJa

I don't follow this artist;   artist I follow: spotify:artist:2o3U0ld93tHYowkoari4Vi

Previously: 

New artist "BONZAI" with URI:  spotify:artist:14AefIR4FrHijEazjTQkj6 shows up in my Release Radar as if it was Bonzai, with URI: spotify:artist:5BydzSmKBIh8HkWFwx4Rrg
I follow 5BydzSmKBIh8HkWFwx4Rrg, not 14AefIR4FrHijEazjTQkj6

Still an issue, popping up often especially in EDM artists. Here's one for you, I keep getting different "Oliver" artists for the EDM group Oliver. Screenshot attached.

Screenshot_20210212-200843_Spotify.jpg

I have the same issue as written above.

I'm following

spotify:artist:5tlNJfV9UIpgnbWmvUEFu7

...but this artist appeared in my Release radar:

spotify:artist:4Myv7ZWpcx3eKMw9MH3LFL

This Friday my Release Radar contained 30 songs, and I blocked 11 of them because they are not even close to the kind of artists I follow and several of them are using the names of several legitimate artists I follow. BTW, I've tried blocking artists in Windows 10 using the the red circle with the line through it and select that I don't like the artist. It doesn't work because they just reappear in the following week's Release Radar.  A Spotify moderator has asked for the URIs for some of these fake artists, because it’s apparently too much trouble for the developer to figure out a catalog system and the developers and mods lazy and expect us to do all the work for them. They know exactly what’s going on and are now putting the burden on the paying customer.  But okay, here are two examples. 

1) I follow the “real” rock band The Cult (spotify:artist:49DW3KvkyjHO35mK1JnSyS), but I get this fake-The Cult rap garbage in my Release Radar (spotify:album:4jjYHMRl4kEuerq4Pwb2J5)

2) I follow the “real” classic rock band Boston (spotify:artist:29kkCKKGXheHuoO829FxWK), but I get this fake-Boston rap garbage in my Release Radar (spotify:artist:3fpgXf1uFtltFybeqiqQB9)

As far as the other garbage on my Release Radar, none of the following artists have “Fans also like…” artists listed that I recognize. Many of them are in a genre not even close to anything I listen to and several of them are in a language I don’t understand.  I listen to a lot of US and UK punk bands from the 70s and 80, so why am I getting music from these people?

• Christian faith music from this guy (spotify:artist:7apN8bBgl19E0Ona9pvPq0),
  • French crooner music from this guy (spotify:artist:6y1aZyP40077De3neGJD2b) and this guy (spotify:artist:6NB0vY1HQgkUpCBsm5eAvo)
  • Spanish stuff from this guy (spotify:artist:4hsO4OgoQ1Wz2K0vyqEIpf)
  • Hip-hop **bleep** from this guy with only one album just release Feb. 2, 2021, a total of 279 listeners, a single sentence bio and zero “Fans also Like…”(spotify:artist:7vXpsqnUsqMWdcnWY4Lzqc).

Anyone know another music streaming service that they’ve tried and seems good? I’m now looking to switch from Spotify, taking my Duo Premium plan and moving my parents’ off theirs.  I’m done.

Alright, this week we have:

Northlane

Actual Band: spotify:artist:3qyg72RGnGdF521zMU02u9
In my Radar: spotify:track:0Xrn8m07AAgnRk4uiBIhLe

There is an entire EP from "northlane beatz" filed under Northlane btw.

Squid

Actual Band: spotify:artist:685XjGzGztyivfR3fAjoxo
In my Radar: spotify:track:6ETU3QtHQS9sNQ1Cw1ECrz

Sublime
Actual Band: spotify:artist:0EdvGhlC1FkGItLOWQzG4J
In my Radar: spotify:track:27AeyGjjHFcAMbqUFZA5CH

Casey

Actual Band: spotify:artist:7KqVvL7NOdUWyQg2B63cck

In my Radar: spotify:track:1SxAR6fMU1L9ms0NHkz41D

L7

Actual Band: spotify:artist:2zMQOJ4Cyl4BYbw6WqaO3h

In my Radar: spotify:track:3udCQX8o2BGwapYnJXwzoD

CSO

Actual Band: spotify:artist:4mXBjMeG8kxywTd1FnfT4T

In my Radar: spotify:track:1JF2mGyIdFRtO3QYyHOheI

Cheers mate

I wanted to rant this way too but you nailed it... I cant believe they cannot do a simple fix for this. How bad are their coders?!

I wish it as as easy as switching services; I have many thousands of liked songs, dozens of playlists, shared playlists, hundreds of followed artists. I've gotten in too deep over the past few years and I guess that's what they're counting on - that it's too much effort to switch and impossible to export all this over. Spotify is certainly not the only service for music discovery but it has been a boon for me. I would hate to have to switch honestly.

It's beyond time for them to just fix the damn issue already, enough people are complaining and even offering solutions (artist ID instead of names, how hard is that?), and if people are frustrated enough to want to move elsewhere then wheels need to start turning.

Since this thread is still going strong and it looks like there won't be any automatic solution anytime soon and you're still supposed to report those artists rather cumbersome. My idea for a "report from client" is still going but at the current rate is also not going to come to fruition. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Other-Ability-to-quot-Report-wrong-artist-... So give it a vote for a chance to at least report the stuff easier.

Voted! This is a good idea, hope it comes to fruition.

As far as an Artist ID, that probably already exists even if it's not apparent to us.  The problem is whatever system they're are using has been compromised and is now being exploited by these fake artists. 

Furthermore, whatever algorithm they are using to predict potential music I'd like seems to have been "loosened" for lack of a better word, probably to keep our Release Radars full so that we think Spotify is providing lots of content and is valuable.  I've noticed that a lot of the legitimate releases in previous months have either been remixes or live versions of songs from artists I do follow, as opposed to release of actual new material. That's fine. But when they start stuffing the Release Radar with wild guesses, such as suggesting Christian faith music to someone who listens to punk rock, heavy metal, etc., it's completely absurd.  

As far as "Report to Client" or similar, that sounds nice but for one problem. As I've already stated, I do actively block songs using the PC version of Spotify by using the red circle with a slash, and then select the option that I do not like this artist.  Despite this, the same exact song and artist appear the following week.  For instance, this exact same song (spotify:track:5AIRzfeAvIJ2cSLhKPvfKs), by the exact same artist, from the exact same album, has appeared on my Release Radar four weeks in a row despite me using the block option each week. So they can add this "Report" option, but my guess is it won't do a thing because the aforementioned problem involving a garbage system that is being actively exploited.  

One thing that has worked for me is contacting the legitimate artist. I listen to an artist named Peter Murphy from and old punk/goth band called Bauhaus.  Some guy released some junk onto Spotify a year ago under the name Peter Murphy. After reaching out to Spotify directly through their webform for reporting, I got nowhere after a back and forth over a few weeks.  Finally I just contacted the artist’s own official website. The artist’s representative got back to me an within two days and another day after that the fake Peter Murphy was removed from the real Peter Murphy’s Spotify artist page. 

I’ve been with Spotify for just over 1 year, and aside from the incident one year ago it’s been pretty good much of the time. Lately however it’s gotten out of control. I see this thread is over one year old and nothing has been done about this situation, which seems to be getting worse by the week.  I do not have any custom playlists and just use Spotify to play specific albums or radios from artists I follow. I won’t lose playlists if I walk away. 

I see. Yeah I noticed buzz on the EDM subreddit about "artists" exploiting actual popular artists with this tactic. I've been seeing it more and more now too.

That's great you thought to reach out directly! Too bad you didn't get to talk to the actual Peter Murphy, absolute legend 😉

I've thought of diing that too but only looked through Spotify directly. If you try to report an error though the album credits it takes you to the spotify artists area so that's just for the artist themselves to report the error. I'll have to maybe try your way next. Hope more people pile on about this though, maybe I'll try to raise awareness where I can and if we all do maybe it will gain some traction.

I guess you still could easily walk away; unfortunately like i said I can't so easily, I have a massive separate collection but while that's nice most of my listening is new stuff now; I think spotify clocked my "new artists" as over 2500 last year alone... So finding each artist I like to listen to and seeking out their music independently or on another service isn't quite in the cards for me. Will see what happens I guess though!

I'm happy that thjis is gathering steam! I started a thread about this in 2018'ish, but great to see that something is hopefully happening soon.

Hello everyone,

if we are to resolve this we need to put a bit of structure in place.

First up - we'd like to ensure everyone is on the same page and doesn't have any wrong information from unreliable sources. We want to reiterate that tracks of smaller artists, being associated to artist pages of ones with a bigger fan-base, is caused solely due to wrong metadata and interlinking, in turn caused by the wrong unique ID being used when uploading the track. Featured artists, as they can often be super small, seem to cause this quite often. There's a bit more details in this post of mine.

This can be fixed after upload and we have a team that manages that, but a report needs to be submitted. We are looking into better ways to submit the reports, but for now, if you wish to help correct such false interlinks, please follow the steps provided previously.

Now, the issue that we want to tackle is to prevent two artists with the same name, who already have unique IDs and thus their own Spotify Artist Pages, to show up in your radar, if you don't follow them.

To improve on the efficiency and accuracy of the data we gather, we want to ask everyone to fill out this form. We'll be checking this weekly and commit to provide you with updates whenever we have them.

Thank you!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Here's the update from this week!

We have 6 valid, unique track/artist reports so far.

Thank you @rollulus, @phaidrosz - this was spot on! Please fill out the form as well, if one of your next Release Radars have such instances. We'll be keeping an extra close eye on your playlists.

Similarly, thanks @ishi_the_fishy and @cancerbat2009 - two of your reported tracks are what we're looking for. Please also fill out the form next week if you have more of the described instances, where the artists have 2 separate Artist Pages. Once more, reports of inaccurately linked (featured) artists should be submitted via a report.

Cheers!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry for dumb questions, but how do we gather URIs?

Glad to see some movement on this from Spotify.
I'll fill out the first as soon as I get a chance.

For this week we have a ton of them on my Release Radar.
New songs from "x", "The Cult", "DEVO", "Black Sheep " and now even "Slayer"

Suggested posts