Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove access to a collaborative playlist

Remove access to a collaborative playlist

I have a collaborative playlist that I gave someone access too, however due to extenuating circumstances I no longer wish for them to have access to this playlist. How would I do this? 

21 Replies

Hi there @alyssalovey309

Welcome to the Community!

If you wish to be the only one making changes to the playlist, Just press the collaborative button again and other users won't be able to edit that playlist anymore. 

Just ask me if there is anything more I can help you with.

Have a great day!

@Astame, your reply didn't properly answer the question directly.  Since I have exactly the same situation, what is desired is to remove ONE PERSON from a Collaborative Playlist.  The "solution" that you offered removes access for everyone that previously had shared access.

What I must assume is that Spotify doesn't actually manage shared Playlist access beyond "shared for anyone with the link" (Collaborative) or "zero shared access" (Non-Collaborative).

So, in essence, the only way to solve our dilemma requires EIGHT steps: (1) change the Playlist to Non-Collaborative, (2) create a new playlist and make it Collaborative, (4) copy all of the songs to the new Playlist, (6) delete the old Playlist, (7) rename the new Playlist to the previous name, (8) share the new Playlist to everyone except the one person you want to exclude.

How do you copy songs? I tried ctrl-a, ctrl-c  and it doesnt select, copy all the songs.  

Hey there @janetntims,

Thanks for reaching out and glad to have you on the Community!

You can copy songs from one playlist to another on a desktop or laptop by doing the following: 

1. Open the old playlist and select one (click) or multiple titles (shift + click).
2. Drag and drop them over in the new playlist from the menu on the left side of the app.

Note: With Ctrl+a you can select all songs in a playlist. The Ctl+c and Ctrl+v combinations work only after you have songs selected. 

Hope this helps you out. If you have further questions, just post here and we'd be happy to assist you further.

Have a great day!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yea. That doesn’t work. Ctrl-a hhighlights EVERYTHING, including title.
And i have like 100’s songs so click each one is not feasible.

Thanks for your reply @janetntims,

The easiest way to do this is when you open the desktop app and click on one of the songs in the playlist. After that you should be able to Ctrl+A all the songs in that playlists.

Another way to select all the songs would be to click on the very first one, hold the SHIFT key, scroll down to the last song and click on it.

If this does not work, it would be awesome if you could share a screenshot or a video of what happens for you when you try here.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out again.

ElenaModerator

• Hi there! So, any updates on how to remove one person only from a collaborative playlist?

Hi there @GiseleAlves,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

At the moment it's not possible so for now we suggest that you follow the steps that @Elena provided. 

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy, 

I’m a little stuck as I accidentally removed someone from our collaborative playlist and I’ve sent them the link and everything to rejoin but they can’t access it with the same permissions as before. Can you help please? 

Hey @mvinod22,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Just to confirm, have you tried following these specific steps to invite the other user?

If so, could you let us know if the other user can see the playlist but is unable to add or remove songs or if they can't see the playlist at all? 

On another note, we suggest that you ask them to try again using a different device to see if that makes the difference. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Eni, 

Yep i have sent them the link to use and it still isnt working. The other person is able to view the playlist but can no longer add songs to it :((

Ive tried it on my computer and it comes up as if its my own playlist and not something that was collaborative. 

Ive attached an example of what i mean, the first one is the playlist which now only i can add too and the other one if another collaborative playlist i have. 

I want to give back the permission but its not working for them 😞

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.39.42.png
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.40.19.png

Hey @mvinod22,

Thank you for the info! 
If they are able to view the playlist, are they added as a listener?
If yes, could you try manually making them a collaborator as shown below?

If this doesn't work, may I suggest a workaround? 
(also mentioned by @Elena)

1. Create a new Collab playlist and add the second user.
  2. After this, press Ctrl + A to select all songs and then copy them with Ctrl + C
  3. Open the new playlist and paste the songs via Ctrl + V

The downside is that all songs will appear as added by you, but this should at least slightly ease your pain.

Hope this helps, we'll be on the lookout for your response 🙂

VasilModerator

I have enhanced the playlist on my desktop to see if that would make any difference and now it comes up with three profiles: mine, spotifys and my friends however i dont think they can still add to it. 

I cant seem to check if they are a listener on my playlist as it doesnt give me that option when i go on it. :(((

Im sure this is a recent update on spotify so maybeeee could you see if you can ask the tech people to reverse it? 

Spotify, how do I remove myself from a "blend" playlist? My ex has a full account while I use the free version.  He invited me to create a "blend" playlist last year. We've subsequently broken up and I hate that this playlist continues to update "daily."  I'm a private person and want to limit his access.  I repeatedly asked him to delete the blend last year (since I don't use spotify much and he was using the blend to make fun of my eclectic taste; he refused), and I tried removing the playlist from my profile (but the previous link still connects to the playlist, and it gives me the option of adding it back to my profile).  I want to revoke permission for him to have continued, daily updates on my listening habits.  I did not create the blend, I was added in, so I likely don't have the master controls. 

Thank you! 

Hey @MnqRsn,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

In order to leave a Blend playlist go to the three dot menu under the playlist and click on Leave Blend. Keep in mind that you'll need to use a mobile device to do that.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

LyubkaModerator

Hi,

All I can see when I press the 3 dots underneath the playlist's name on my phone are the users and how many songs each has added. No 3 dots to the right of their name. It doesn't say under their names that they are collaborators either. This is a very old list, 8 years. So recreating it as mentioned above is not an option in this case since losing the dates would mean to lose the history of this 1 500+ list.

Is it possible to just ask the person to just leave the collab by themselves? Like right click the list and leave?

Hi @lexxiuz,

Thanks for reaching out. You have to be the owner of a collaborative playlist to manage the members. If you only see the list of people and the songs they've added, it means you probably aren't the owner. If however you are and you still see no option, please send us some screenshots of what you see so we can investigate.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

Hi @Joan,

That's the odd part. I am the owner of the list. It even says so when pressing the 3 dots. So either I figured it was because the list is so old and that the feature has limited reach back in time. Or because at one point I removed it from my list. But got it back from the other person that's active in it.

I did however try and make a new list just to see if I have the options. That works. So it's only this list that doesn't want to play ball 😣

XRecorder_02022023_004458.jpg

Hey @lexxiuz,

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is indeed most probably caused by the playlist being relatively old. If you don't see those options and asking this person to leave/unfollow the playlist is a possible alternative, then we'd suggest you do so.

Let us know what happens.

MihailYModerator

Suggested posts