Solved!

Remove or separate playlist help please... has become unusable

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

All devices

Hello. I use spotify on a daily basis. It is excellent although I have a couple of related issues. I am indecisive when it comes to choosing new songs so really love the automatic playlists and use them all the time but they have progressively become unworkable. I have two young kids and am often putting on "kids music"... eg Kidz Bop, John Williamson, Trolls, Frozen soundtracks. In addition to this at night I often go to sleep listening to something mindless like comedy (rather than say a podcast which I actually want to listen to in its entirety) ... I will fall asleep in minutes but the comedy continues to play (sometimes I set the iphone timer to stop) .... 

With this information, spotifys algorithms think.... this guy loves comedy and kids music... plus a smattering of actual music... as a result all of my auto playlists have been bastardised by these genres. I jump in the car... search for a song or select a playlist and as a certainty within 1 or 2 "songs" I am getting a kids song or a comedy track... in addition most comedy tracks have bad language and subject matter I don't want the kids to hear. 

So the moral to the story is... I never listen to comedy in the day, I never listen to kids songs by choice... When I listen to music I want it to be music and this is becoming increasingly difficult...

Is there a way to separate this out in some way and can I scrub the tracks/genres from my current history?

Sorry to be long-winded. thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @nbamvp 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

In your situation, the most recommendable is that you - when listening to songs you don't want to influence the algorithms - activate the Private Mode. This way anything you listen to on Private mode, won't affect your music recommendations, e.g your Made For You playlists.

Now, considering you already get these recommendations, it will take some time until the algorithm understand that you "don't like" these kinds of songs anymore. As a way to make things faster, you can follow these steps to help Spotify understand what match your musical taste: 

[video]

Last but not least, if you have a Premium for Family subscription, you could try to use Spotify Kids app. Your kids will be able to listen to their favorite songs and it won't affect your recommendations. 

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey, @nbamvp 
Welcome to Spotify Community and thanks for reaching out here!

In your situation, the most recommendable is that you - when listening to songs you don't want to influence the algorithms - activate the Private Mode. This way anything you listen to on Private mode, won't affect your music recommendations, e.g your Made For You playlists.

Now, considering you already get these recommendations, it will take some time until the algorithm understand that you "don't like" these kinds of songs anymore. As a way to make things faster, you can follow these steps to help Spotify understand what match your musical taste: 

[video]

Last but not least, if you have a Premium for Family subscription, you could try to use Spotify Kids app. Your kids will be able to listen to their favorite songs and it won't affect your recommendations. 

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Yessss. Thats is excellent hezorg. I was waiting for someone to say that it couldn't be helped but that will certainly solve a large part of the problem. I see the heart to like things, there used to be a thumbs down in either the windows app or iphone but looking now I cannot see it... there is a "Hide Song" is that the same? ... in a similar vein could I hide songs some of the comedy tracks to clear them out of the rotation a little sooner. Does that influence the algorithm.  Thanks again. 

Hey again, @nbamvp 

Yes, it is... As shown in the video, the icon_no.png is a way you can alert Spotify that you don't like the suggestion. In a similar vein, you can also block artists you don't like and doing it, you won't see this artist on your recommendations anymore, per example. But note that the icon_heart.png and the icon_no.png will only appear on premade playlists like the ones you can see on Made For You

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'd love to continue helping you! 🙂

All the best,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

This is not good enough.

My kids consume kids music on multiple devices. The tablet, the Google home, my wife's phone in the car.

They only listen to 3 albums (drives me nuts as it is), I'm not paying for another user, and I have no ability to ensure "private mode" is selected each time a 3 y/o and 5 y/o seizes one of the household devices.

Spotify premium is for me. Spotify is willingly ruining the single reason I haven't left for high fidelity services elsewhere. The playlist/algorithm. For a few family pack bucks.

Even a family plan isn't going to work. Who's account will be linked to the devices my kids use? I use the same devices.

I cannot articulate how infuriating this enough.

Amazon music doesn't suffer from this, it's pretty simply if I pick an automated playlist with a kids genre then I probably am playing music for the kids...

if I pick literally any other playlist I don't want to hear kids music ever! This is a breaking "feature" for Spotify and saying play in private mode is ridiculous when a child could ask Alexa to simply play a song.

also trust me when I say if I'm listening to a playlist from the noughties, I don't give a flying F if the kids track was released around that time. It's just another case of a truly inadequate filtering....

Dear Spotify,
"activate the 
Private Mode" is a bad "solution" to almost any problem. Code better. 

-Me

This is a common issue which I've now run into as well, since having a kid. The 'don't like' button seems to have disappeared as well, leaving me with no way to fix my Discover Weekly recommendations which would now only appeal to somebody under 5. I previously used to rely on Discover Weekly to expand my music taste but now it's about as useful as a marzipan **bleep**.

Suggested posts