Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song liked twice. Unlike one, both gone

Song liked twice. Unlike one, both gone

Plan

Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have several occurences of the same song liked twice. When I unlike one, both are unliked and removed from my library.

33 Replies

Hey @Pollert,

Thanks for the post.

Do you see duplicate liked songs on all your devices or just one?

It would be great if you let us know your devices' make, model, OS versions and Spotify versions.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

All devices. My device make, model, OS is already specified. Latest spotify, however the problem has been there for at least 2 years.

For an example, have a look at my liked Slayer songs. War Ensemble is liked as song 31 and 35. Same album.

Hi @Pollert,

Thank you for your swift reply with this information. 

We believe you sent a screenshot, however, it's not showing. Could you send us the URI link of some songs you're having this issue with?, this way we can take a better look at them. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator

I found these 2 songs in my liked list. They are the same song, but from 2 different albums/releases:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2HerxRQish8VLHvu20oxz2?si=42d76e91037f4f24
https://open.spotify.com/track/2HjgCn2M3oMHHOIBI8FWmS?si=81f57adb7fbd4baa

When I unliked 1, both were gone.

I’ve found out that this indeed is an issue. When a song or album gets re-uploaded and it’s URI changes then you might find that the songs/albums you’ve previously liked are not liked on the artist page. Then you like the songs/albums again on the artist page and then you have duplicates in your library but if you then proceed to remove the old liked songs/albums from your library they both (new and old) are removed/unliked.

It seems like the older versions are not automatically getting liked to the new versions but the new version are somehow linked to the old versions of songs/albums. 

AeroZ, I think that is spot on!

I don't think that AeroZ has the solution, that's is just a description of the issue. Can someone please make a note of this issue and fix it, rather than just marking it as fixed?

Hey @Pollert,

Thanks for returning back to this topic.

Could we ask you for some screen recordings, that might be very helpful in the investigation of this behavior? As far a we can see the Slayer songs you provided above appear as two different songs and when I tried liking and unliking them, they behaved as expected - disliking one of them should not affect the status of the other.

As for the Saliva songs, they have the same URL and seem to be noted down as one release. If you spot 2 of the same song in your library again, could you try logging out and in again to see if that'll sync up?

We would like to continue helping, so keep us posted!

ElenaModerator

I think there are 2 issues at work here:

The slayer songs are a new issue where 2 songs are liked, event though they should be the same song. This is probably a byproduct of publishing the album twice.

The other issue is how I managed to like the song twice (Saliva). There is no suprise if the song is liked twice. Any SQL command deleting the like, will delete any likes of the song.

Hey there @Pollert

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you send us a screen recording of the steps you're following so we can take a closer look? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

You want a video of me clicking on the Like heart?

Here you go:

Hey @Pollert,

Thanks for getting back in touch and for the video.

It helped us understand what's happening exactly on your end. We tested it again but couldn't replicate it, so it isn't a general issue with the app or those tracks.

Could you try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, and test this to see if the same happens there? This would help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

No, I don't really have access to another account.
It is clearly a data issue. The underlying issue is that it was at some point possible to like the same song twice. Now, unliking a song, will delete any and all likes of that song.
The other issue is a data issue as well. For some reason the same album have been published twice, and I have liked the same song twice, each from the duplicates of the album.

The only solution I see, is that someone cleans up the datebase. Duplicate likes of the same song twice must be consolidated into one (no duplicates).
Secondly, duplicated albums must be consolidated and likes consolidated as well.

Hi again @Pollert,

Thanks for your reply.

We've tested this in multiple accounts and with several songs that were just recently Liked and others that were Liked years ago, which have newer versions or releases (making sure to also Like the newer version/release) and the result was always as expected - removing or disliking the previous or old version didn't remove the newer one or vice-versa, so the issue might be related to either some specific tracks/albums, or to some accounts.

You can try creating a new free account here to check if you can replicate this behavior. This would help us determine what the root cause might be.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

I created a 2nd account (Pollert2) and replied to this thread, but I don't see the reply here.
In any case, I can't like the same song twice, so I can't recreate the problem.
However, the same issue still removed too many songs from my library.

The song called Meat by Stephen Lynch is available from 2 releases, of which I had liked both. The first song was from the album "Lion", the second from "Lion (Stephen Lynch)". When I search, all I can ever find is the "Lion (Stephen Lynch)". If you are able to like both songs, you will be able to replicate the problem.

Hi @Pollert,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you send us the links to both tracks so we are sure we're using the same one?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

No, I can not, because once I unliked one, I can't find and re-like at least one of them.

As stated, only one release/album is available when searching, and the other one, I can't find.

Also, can you please un-resolve this thread?

Looking at the duplicates in my liked songs list, many of them have the same ID. Maybe the issues is that I was once able like the same song twice.

Suggested posts