Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify ads playing before/after podcasts with premium

Solved!

Spotify ads playing before/after podcasts with premium

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung Galaxy S10

Operating System

Android Pie (9.0.0)

My Question or Issue

The other day when listening to a podcast, I was served targeted ads at the start and end of the podcast. I was able to determine that the ads were not recorded into the podcast itself because they were based on my own location. (I'm in Canada and the podcast was recorded in the UK. The ads specifically stated Canada in them.) It is my understanding that I should not be getting ads from Spotify because I am subscribed to premium. I have since verified that my premium subscription is active and in good standing. What's going on?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there!
I was wondering if you could confirm that the ads are typical Spotify ads. 

If not, the podcast creator might be using Spreaker, a company that makes software & other services for podcast distribution, and what it does is embeds the ads (i.e. the ads aren't through Spotify itself, but rather there is data encoded in the files that call Spreaker's ad servers so that no matter where someone is listening to it--Spotify, iTunes, iHeartRadio--it'll still make money).

Here's an article about it if you're curious:

For more info check out this topic

I hope I'm able to help get this sorted for you, let me know!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there!
I was wondering if you could confirm that the ads are typical Spotify ads. 

If not, the podcast creator might be using Spreaker, a company that makes software & other services for podcast distribution, and what it does is embeds the ads (i.e. the ads aren't through Spotify itself, but rather there is data encoded in the files that call Spreaker's ad servers so that no matter where someone is listening to it--Spotify, iTunes, iHeartRadio--it'll still make money).

Here's an article about it if you're curious:

For more info check out this topic

I hope I'm able to help get this sorted for you, let me know!

It's likely. It's just the one podcast that had it (though this was the first time they did) and so far I haven't duplicated this on another podcast. I will see what happens on my desktop as well. I looked in Spotify during the ad and there was nothing visual either.

Then most likely is then. Ads are definitely annoying, especially when you pay to get rid of them, but it feels good knowing you're supporting the creators of the podcast!

I can agree 100% with that.

Hmmm.  I'm experiencing the same thing while listening to a US podcast and I live in the UK.  I've even had UK ads specific to the region/town where I live!  Thanks for providing the info about Spreaker.  I had no idea.  The Twitter team at Spotify appear not to know about this as they were unable to help me when I DM'd them. While the creators do indeed need our support, I don't want it on the Spotify Premium service I am paying for!  I really hope there aren't that many more podcasts on Spotify that have this software.  Sounds like I'll have to bear the annoyance of the ads because I really enjoy the podcast 😞 

I'm glad I was able to help, it's funny that the Spotify people didn't know but it's good that they do now. I wonder if you could contact the podcast creator and have them turn off the ads for you?

I know! They knew it was an external issue but not as specific as your advice. My next step will be to get in touch with the podcast creators and see if they can do anything their end. If I get anywhere I'll be back here! 

Okay perfect!

Suggested posts