Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify album view loves the A's...

Spotify album view loves the A's...

I use Spotify Premium on both Windows 10 and OSX, and the changes to the Album view make it a nightmare to use.  I typically sort by creator and scroll to what I want.  With the recent updates, the Spotify app doesn't load albums until I scroll down, which makes getting to the end of the view frustratingly slow.

Even worse, if you go into an album, it appears to discard the entire view, so when you back out, you are stuck back at the top of the list, with nothing but the first twelve or so rows loaded.  So If I want to, for example, listen to White Zombie, it's a minute of slow scrolling to get there.  If I click into an album, then decide it was a different White Zombie album I want, I have to back out, then again do a minute of slow scrolling to get there.

All this worked beautifully before the update.  It should be caching album art/metadata locally and keep the current scroll location when you navigate

6 Replies

Hi there @sburnap,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick, can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This step will clean the cache and corrupted files from previous installations that can cause issues.

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Nope, I did a reinstall on my Windows machine, and it made no difference at all.

I'm nearly certain this is the app itself.  I checked my Mac laptop, noticed it was on an older version of Spotify.  It did not have the issue.  I installed the latest Spotify app on my Mac, and now I see the exact same issue there.   The Mac does seem to load albums quicker than the Windows 10 version, so it's less annoying, but I definitely see the same issue both places.  In the album view, only the first set of albums loads until you scroll down, and when you open an album and go back, the entire set is flushed and you are placed back at the beginning.

The Mac is on my wifi.   My Windows 10 machine is on a wired connection typically gets around 450-500 Mbps down according to the Ookla speed test.

It looks to me like the app is just not maintaining state in the album/artist views when you navigate into a detail view, which is pretty broken behavior.

Hey @sburnap,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

You're right - this is how the app currently works. However, we understand how that would be useful and see that other users have shared their ideas about it. We suggest adding you +Vote to this idea to show your support.

The more votes an idea gets, the more likely it'll be implemented. You can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or need anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

I can vote, sure, but I can't believe Spotify's usability people let this through.  All the major streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, etc.) retain state when going backwards.  Even Spotify's app did this until recently.  This doesn't feel like a "nice to have feature".  It feels like a buggy app.

This is clearly a bug and to say it needs to be upvoted as a feature is an utter joke. I'm heading to apple music and have just cancelled my paying spotify account. I'll leave it as free to remember what I had and migrate over.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts