Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Plan

Free

I have noticed before that some songs which I was sure I had liked (little green heart) before have somehow got unliked by spotify. This only happened a few times before so I brushed it off as a minor bug, however today, as I was going through a lot of playlists and artists I noticed VAST amounts of songs which I 100%, without a doubt had liked before, were now unliked (blank heart).

I'm not sure what caused this or if this is a bug, but it would be nice to fix this as I had to manually go back and try to find all the songs that may have gotten unliked by spotify. 

65 Replies

See I thought I was accidently unliking songs with my hand when using my phone. However for the last few days I've had my phone switched off to get on with some other work, I've only been using Spotify on my laptop.

I noticed it's unliked some songs I only recently liked in the last few days - I'm definitely not unliking them by accident on my laptop!

It's real, you're not imagining it.

Iv had exactly the same thing , even with songs that i listen to regularly. I have around 700 liked songs so it take me a bit of time to realise that they have gotten unliked until i play a rewind playlist or an older playlist. Its so annoying that I have to keep checking through all these songs to make sure that spotify hasn't unliked them. Why the **bleep** is this happening?

Maybe you have the age old issue where you like one version of the song but there’s another version (basically identical) in a playlist. To be sure that a song has been removed from your liked songs try searching them in your Liked Songs playlist. 

I've been having this issue for a few months now. I have 4,000+ liked songs (I've been using Spotify for at least 6 years lol) so I don't always notice. But its been unliking songs by my favorite band at least once a week. I know for a fact that there aren't copies of the songs on Spotify or saved on my laptop or phone, so that isn't my issue.

I have been noticing the same thing for the past few months.
And it's definitely not old age setting in or FFS (fat finger syndrome).
Is this an unknown problem for spotify?

I've also started to notice this weird phenomenon few weeks ago. such an annoying bug

I too am having this issue.  It is definitely happening outside of user error or from different song versions causing confusion.  I'm not positive but question whether it has to do with the time since it was liked.  If I sort my list by date it was added, it does not go back as far as when I began to like them.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This sounds odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

It's a good idea to start off by restarting the device. Then you can log out and log back in again.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this issue.

You can also try with another account. That way we can see if it's an account-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same issue, a concerning amount of my favorite songs of all time are being unliked. Noticed it when going through my annual top songs playlists. Recently signed up for Duo. Not sure if this is why. But it's upsetting

I had already re-liked all the songs from my top annual playlists when I tried this. The amount of songs in my library remained unchanged after the reinstall. I have no idea how many songs have gone missing, it is very disappointing

Hey there @Rwgmcbride,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you tell us if you see any change in the number of liked songs across all devices if you add/remove a song using just your phone or the Web player? Also when did you first notice that some of your Liked songs were missing?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex, 

Thanks for replying. I don't use the web player really at all. I currently have 4,420 liked songs in my library after adding all of the songs I lost from my top songs annual playlists 2016-2019. I noticed it yesterday. I was scrolling through my summer rewind playlist and saw a song I really like in it that wasn't "hearted." I searched the artist to see if there was another version that was in my library, but there wasn't. I thought I maybe unliked it by mistake, but I then checked the rest of the playlist and found several others that were unliked. I checked my other playlists and found more. I counted 32 songs from my annual top songs playlists were unliked. Makes me wonder how many more might have disappeared. It's disappointing because the chronological order of my liked songs library is out of order and I may be missing some of my favorite songs. I recently signed up for Duo and was fearful something like this would happen. It's the only thing I can think of from my end. 

Hey @Rwgmcbride,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

The type of subscription shouldn't affect your liked songs. This could be a device or account-related issue.

It's a good idea to try some troubleshooting steps so we can see where the issue is coming from.

We'd suggest you restart the device and then log out and log back in again. If the issue persist, you can check these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not leading to this issue.

Does this happen on another device while being logged into your account? You can also log into another account on your device. Does the issue occur?

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Hi Alex,
I don't really remember how many songs I have in my liked songs list, so I can't say how many songs were "unliked". I noticed this problem few weeks ago when "discover weekly" started to suggest me songs from my favorite band that I'm sure that I liked them. At first I thought that its different release of the song, but when I went to the band page I saw that it happened to whole albums.
Then I checked my liked songs list bottom- up and noticed few other songs I remember to add to the list.

I'm using spotify mostly in my phone, web player, and on my home computer (with the software).

Hey @talassous,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Could you confirm if the same songs are missing consistently on all your devices and the web player?

If that's the case, we would recommend that you perform a clean reinstall of the app on all your devices as @Ver suggested.

If that doesn't fix things and your liked songs keep disappearing it would be a good idea to do the steps outlined in this Spotify Answer on how to secure your account.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail,
The same songs are missing consistently on all of my devices.
I will perform a clean reinstall of the app, and see how its go.

Hi Ver, 

Before trouble shooting I re-liked all of the songs that were in my annual "Your Top Songs" playlists. I have trouble shooted your suggestions several times with no change in my song count. 
There is no way to tell how many songs I lost because I am only aware of the unliked songs that were in playlists in addition to my library. 

There may be others with the same issue that haven't noticed. 

Bobby

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies and the info you've shared.

Songs can be removed and replaced on Spotify depending on the songs' right holders/specific distribution agreements with Spotify and when re-uploaded to the platform they'll be a different song compared to the removed/replaced version if the related metadata were edited (which is most likely the case if a song gets replaced with a different/newer/updated version) despite the title staying the same. This could be one of the reasons some of your songs are disappearing from your Liked Songs.

Another reason might be broken cache between multiple devices. This can occur on very large collections with more than a thousand songs in them. Especially if you're using your account across platforms. Best way around this is to occasionally clear the app cache on all your devices. Another thing worth trying is to split your Liked songs into playlists, this will also increase the app's performance when loading on some devices.

Also, for anybody having this issue only on mobile - you can check out this Ongoing Issue thread. Add your +Vote and subscribe to stay tuned with any updates on the matter.

Hope you find this info helpful.

AlexModerator

But there are so many user that are experiencing this bug (like me).
Guys, this is CRITICAL bug! and yes, it is a bug if the user need to reinstall or clear cache.
As a developer myself i know how easy it is keeping the user data on your database (and not on the hardware cache...)
Me and another users can't stand the fact that we are losing parts of our precious music collection.
Please mark it as a Critical Bug and don't send the users to try weird solutions.

Suggested posts