Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Spotify randomly unliking songs??

Plan

Free

I have noticed before that some songs which I was sure I had liked (little green heart) before have somehow got unliked by spotify. This only happened a few times before so I brushed it off as a minor bug, however today, as I was going through a lot of playlists and artists I noticed VAST amounts of songs which I 100%, without a doubt had liked before, were now unliked (blank heart).

I'm not sure what caused this or if this is a bug, but it would be nice to fix this as I had to manually go back and try to find all the songs that may have gotten unliked by spotify. 

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hi folks,

Thanks for your replies and the info you've shared.

Songs can be removed and replaced on Spotify depending on the songs' right holders/specific distribution agreements with Spotify and when re-uploaded to the platform they'll be a different song compared to the removed/replaced version if the related metadata were edited (which is most likely the case if a song gets replaced with a different/newer/updated version) despite the title staying the same. This could be one of the reasons some of your songs are disappearing from your Liked Songs.

Another reason might be broken cache between multiple devices. This can occur on very large collections with more than a thousand songs in them. Especially if you're using your account across platforms. Best way around this is to occasionally clear the app cache on all your devices. Another thing worth trying is to split your Liked songs into playlists, this will also increase the app's performance when loading on some devices.

Also, for anybody having this issue only on mobile - you can check out this Ongoing Issue thread. Add your +Vote and subscribe to stay tuned with any updates on the matter.

Hope you find this info helpful.

65 Replies

Oh my gosh, thank you so much, I've been on Spotify for years, and I have 600+ liked songs on there and suddenly hundreds of my liked songs were marked as Unliked, and I basically had a heart attack, But I followed what you had said, and they were all back, Thank you so much!

See my big worry and concern is that I noticed this problem as all of you did back in 2020 and yet I was just on it today and still notice it I have over 3,700 song I have no way to notice they’re gone whatsoever unless they’re new which is a huge problem as wouldn’t it be easy enough to make an code to replace the song that was deleted with the replaced song or let you know that your song was removed so you could at least know or even to fix the cache problem yourself so then people can enjoy your app especially when you have people who’ve been paying for it for years if you leave a major problem like this too long people will go elsewhere to listen too the music they love and enjoy without worrying that their songs will disappear I guess I just can’t believe that the people who’ve built this app would overlook such a huge issue

Yeah I was noticing Spotify unliking songs by the hundreds recently, i just passed 29,000 liked songs and now I've noticed I'm back to 28,200 and it'd be nice to be able to not lose songs I've liked, like with that number of songs liked there is no chance I'm going to find all the of the songs that were lost and most of my liked songs are not yet put into playlists. i find this happening to be obnoxious and honestly unacceptable, I regularly clear the cache and only use one device 90% of the time. If there are any other solutions that would obviously be appreciated deeply because i feel like at this point there is no use in trying to keep track or the songs i like

Noticing this weekly sometimes daily still. This is not work that should be dumped on the users of your platform. Take responsibility and come up with a fix.

MULTIPLE DEVICES STILL!!!!!! FIX IT!

Just want to add my name to the list of people incredibly frustrated with this. I guess my workaround will be that I take groups of 1000 songs from my like songs, sorted by "date added" and create playlists out of them. Then every so often, go back and make sure all the songs in the playlists are liked.
And it's pretty stupid I have to do this. 

The fact that over half my 2022 wrapped is unliked... Spotify do better.

Still finding tracks that I liked before and somehow they are not liked.

This issue is opened too much time for what it is.

Adding my name to this list as well. A few weeks ago i started noticing that a couple "liked" songs in my library were suddenly "unliked". It was annoying but it was only a few songs, so I thought whatever. Since then it's happening way more often, e.g. out of eight albums/eps of an artist in my library, suddenly only one album shows the "liked" songs. Like wth? I'm using Spotify only on one device (the pc app). Extremely annoying! If this isn't getting fixed I'll try out other apps, because it is a must-have feature!

Does Spotify support team provide a restoration help with this?
I've apparently got a third of my liked songs playlist wiped out
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Each-third-track-in-my-liked-playlist-is-suddenly-UNLI...

was meticulously collecting the songs for almost a decade

Still an issue.

I can't believe we are still talking about this, where is spotify?

Still an issue.

Still a problem.

Still a problem.

Just noticed many albums of artist Janeiro Jarel (every single one that I liked) are not in my library and are not displayed as liked via songs or albums. I distinctly remember listening and liking them months ago. Garbage.

Same issue, fixes didn't work.

What am I paying for again exactly?

Im missing ~5000 songs, why is there not a fix to this, this is absurd

It’s ridiculous how unserious Spotify seems to be regarding this issue. For many of us, our music collection is one of our most prized possessions. Not having confidence in trusting that our liked songs are safe from being unliked is not ok. 

Dismissing this as a caching issue is a lazy cop out & should not be something users should have to worry about. I use Dropbox on various devices & have never experienced issues with files being manipulated. Also, why doesn’t Spotify have a built in auto notification system for letting users know when songs are unliked or removed? The excuse that songs are sometimes unliked when artists remove and re-add their music is odd… first off, we should be notified when this happens & if/when it does those songs we had liked should be re-liked automatically.

Another annoying feature (or lack there of) is how there’s still no why to address the duplicate song issue with Spotify (where an artist has multiple versions of the same songs). There should be a way to allow users to see when duplicate versions of songs we’ve already liked exist… that way we can avoid ’liking’ & playlist-adding the same songs multiple times.

A simple solution could be to have a certain icon visible next to any tracks in which there are duplicate versions of songs (from re-releases, greatest hits albums, compilation albums, soundtracks, etc) that we’ve already liked or added to playlists. It could then show a pop-up list that reveals these different versions of a song, allowing us to see which version we’ve already ’liked’ &/or added. The one exception could be live recordings of a track. 

There should also be an option to auto replace any ‘liked’ (& playlist added) tracks with higher quality versions that might exist (ex: when an artist releases enhanced recordings of older material). These seem like no brainer features that would be simple to implement & resolve these ongoing issues. 

Still a problem.

Suggested posts