The "Recently played" list shows songs I've never played

Plan

Premium

Device

OnePlus 6T, MacBookPro, Windows 10 Desktop

Operating System

iOS 13, Android 10, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I keep seeing random songs / artists showing up in my "Recently Played" list. I've reset my password and logged out from all the devices (using the "Sign Out everywhere" option), but the problem still persists.

Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 10.00.43.png

I have never played ANY of these songs (and don't even know who the artists are).

Is there a way to see all the "logged in" locations?

Thank you and have a nice day

10 Replies

Hey @dplaton,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

To answer your question, the option to access info regarding the location of all the 'log in' actions for one's account is not available at the moment.

At this point, since you've come across music unexpectedly played your Spotify, it'd be good to make sure no one is accessing your account in an unauthorized way.

For this purpose, it'd be great to bookmark and follow the steps in this support page article as well as this one since they feature some essential info regarding how to keep the safety of your account up-to-date.

Hope you'll find this useful. We'll keep an eye on your reply in case there's anything else we can help with!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello!

I've had this issue happen to me too. But only very recently. So yesterday I did all the things in reference to reading several threads dating back to 2015, to disconnected devices, logging out and back in...everything short of changing my password.

I actually think I've discovered at least ONE way this bug can be reproduced.

I have an iPhone XR and an Apple Watch Series 3 (not sure if that last part is relevant but I'm always wearing it, and it's a new variable since this started happening). I drive a 2019 Hyundai Kona with CARPLAY. I regularly connect my phone to my car and stream Spotify this way.

Today when pulling into work, I parked, turned the engine off, and removed my keys. My phone is still connected, streaming My Morning Drive playlist (car feature, it stops when the driver door is opened or the phone is disconnected). Then, suddenly the TOOL song I was jamming out to changed to Lil Uzi Vert - Futsal Shuffle 2020. At first there was no sound, just the appearance that I was streaming something else, connected to a different device! I wasn't quick enough to grab the proof, but the display showed I was connected to "Alicia's iPhone". I unlocked my phone at this point to try and take screenshots but "Alicia's iPhone"  on the display disappeared, and it looked like it was My Device, yet now streaming this other persons music selection.

I've since walked to my desk and sitting at my computer... from my iphone currently it looks like my phone is still somehow synced with Alicia's iPhone because My Recently Played is now filled with songs from playlists like State of Mind and DROGBA. Also, it seems like I can pause/play whatever she is actually listening to and I can see when she favorites a song.

Notes:
• The UI indicates streaming is occurring through Web Player (Chrome).
• When my device is synced to Alicia's session and she Favorites a song, it is added to My favorites.
• IF I close the App on my phone and reopen it, I get reconnected to the Chrome web player, back to whatever Alicia's streaming.
• Connected devices list This iPhone, Listening On (web player), and More Devices
• Devices Menu displays 'You are listening on Web Player (Chrome) Continue or Listen on this iPhone'

I suspect going into 'Listening On (web player)' and choosing 'Forget device' would be a decent test to see if it solves this problem. I'm curious enough to try it out.

Respond and let me know how you guys would like to proceed with this unique use case!

Recently_Played_bug.png

Hey there. I've had the same issue. I attached some screenshots and explained my experience with this so far. Let me know what you think.

Update, tried selecting 'Forget device' but it seems like it's not behaving as expected.
I select it, and then go back into Devices, I still see the web player is available and streaming.
I have to disable 'Show local devices only' to not default to the web player.
Then I can retry 'Forget device', which appears to work.

If I enable 'Show local devices only', the web player does not appear again.

The same thing just happened to me now: I picked up my phone and it shows that Spotify's playing via "Web Player (Chrome)". It also happened during the weekend and back then I had some fun with it - stop the music, then watching it resume after a few seconds (meaning that someone was really using the player). I use the "Sign out everywhere" option then and I didn't see the "Web Player (Chrome)" device anymore, but it just happened again now, meaning that someone is clearly using my credentials.

If only we'd have the option to see the location of the logged-in session...

I reset my password now and "Sign out everywhere" so I'm just waiting to see what happens.

I am currently in a shuffle war with whoever my Spotify is connected to right now. It’s kind of hilarious.

I thought it was going to be isolated to me being in the parking garage where I work. But that’s not true. I have driven 7 miles, and whoever My Spotify is synced with at the moment is actively changing songs while I’m driving. Right now I have it set to my playlist “Discover Weekly - Made for yorugly” ... So it should show up in her recently played too. I wish she would report that this is happening to her! This is so weird!

there’s got to be a database somewhere at Spotify, that has what playlists a user is listening to. And this specific playlist should be in that database, so they should, in theory, be able to find out which users are Streaming that playlist. So myself and this other chick(Alicia) should appear in that Database. And this proves that we are listening to the same playlist, when she should actually never get access to this playlist (Because it was made just for me by Spotify).

I reset my password yesterday and signed out of all the devices, yet I can still see music I didn't play in the "recently played" section today. My guess is that this isn't an account problem but a system problem - somehow me and this other person get the same ID somewhere in their database.

Well, my problem isn't solved as you can see from all the replies in this thread.

Hi! This is day two of this happening to me. I didnt think to much it at first because I thought it was maybe my girlfriend (we have duo) but its not. So tomorrow I will see who mines synced with and maybe find the person here?? Who knows.

Hi there folks, 

If you're still seeing recently played songs that you haven't listened to and you've Logged out everywhere and changed the passwords to your account and email, you might consider creating a new test account with another email address, to see if the same happens there as well. If it doesn't you can transfer your music collection over, following the steps described here.

Hope you find this helpful.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts