Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the quality when playing downloaded album when I am connected to WiFi

What is the quality when playing downloaded album when I am connected to WiFi

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

In Spotify App we have two options to select different quality for online streaming and download. I want to select lower quality for download (smaller size on my device) but I don't want to play this low quality when I am online and connected to the WiFi.

So, I want to play downloaded song just if I am offline or connected to cellular. 

Not sure if this is the logic in the app.

Thanks,

3 Replies

Hey, great question! Spotify should default to playing the downloaded versions of the tracks even if you are online. Unfortunately, this does appear to mean that the higher streaming quality you've set would only apply to anything you don't have set to download. 

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

the problem is when you are using bluetooth to connect and use your mobile app. I think when we are using chromecast or Sonos connection, we don't have offline concept.

Ah, I get it now. If using bluetooth, you're playing the files directly from your device so it would reflect the quality you've set on that device. If the songs are downloaded at low quality, it would play at that quality over bluetooth. However, if streaming to another device, such as Chromecast, Sonos, or other Spotify Connect enabled devices, they would be unaffected by the quality of your downloads as the actual stream is not coming from your phone or computer but the speaker instead. My understanding is that you cannot customize the quality settings on these types of devices, so it should play at the highest quality available to the particular device. 

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts