Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When I try to add a new song to my playlist, it says it's already in there, but it isn't!

When I try to add a new song to my playlist, it says it's already in there, but it isn't!

I'm a new user and have been using Spotify for a couple of weeks without any problem on my Samsung S8.  For the past few days, I've been trying to add a couple of songs to my playlist and it says they're already there, but they aren't.  Please help!

12 Replies

Hey @user-removed, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Happy to help, and welcome to Spotify!
Could you try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app following these steps?

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Will reinstalling Spotify remove the songs in my playlist?

Hey @user-removed,

A clean reinstall of the app won't remove any content on your account, so no need to worry about losing your playlists. 

You can try restarting your device first and if that doesn't help follow the steps I provided in my last reply.

Billy-JSpotify Star

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify, but the problem persists.  Any suggestions to try, other than getting a newer phone?  This is very annoying.  Thanks for your help.

Hey @user-removed, 

Can you send me a screenshot of what you're seeing? Also, can you let me know if this happens on a different device? 

Billy-JSpotify Star

Here's a screenshot from my phone.

The other problem is that years ago I had a Spotify account which I haven't used in a long time, and when I installed Spotify on my desktop computer, it automatically defaulted to that old account and isn't showing my current playlist there.  Is there a way to delete that old account so my new one shows up?

Screenshot_20210107-114659_Spotify (002).jpg

Hey @user-removed, 

I'd recommend checking out this article to close the old account. If the issue persists, make sure you're logged into the right account. Also, can you let me know the make and model of your device, your device's exact OS version, and the Spotify version you're currently running? That way I can take a closer look. 

Thanks!

Billy-JSpotify Star

My phone is a Samsung G8; model #SM-G950U.  I don't know the exact OS version; it was updated in approximately October 2020.  The Spotify version I have is 8.5.89.901.

The reply above is from dpeskin1.  Sorry for the confusion.  I deleted my old account and had to change passwords and everything!

Hey @Lazuli

Thanks for keeping me posted. Can you check if the issue occurs on other devices when you log in to the new account? Also, could you try with another network to see if there are any changes?

Keep me posted. 

Billy-JSpotify Star

I tried adding the song when I was on a different network, and got the same message.  I'm not sure how to access my playlist and add songs on a computer.

Update - I accessed my playlist on my computer, and tried to add those songs to my playlist, and got the same message!

Suggested posts