Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why am I being recommended "Icons of Black LGBTQ+ Music"?

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Android

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

I don't listen to any music or podcasts that are remotely relevant to this category.  I don't even have the option to hide this recommendation.  

18 Replies

Tail-wagging hello to you FlyingChameleon!

Spotify's recommendation algorithm is based on a variety of factors, such as the songs, playlists, and podcasts you have listened to, the artists you follow, the genres you prefer, and your listening history. It's possible that Spotify's algorithm has identified some patterns in your listening behavior that suggest you might be interested in music from the Black LGBTQ+ community.

As for hiding recommendations, I’m not sure if there is an option to do so. You may want to contact Spotify support for more information on that.

There is also currently no way to reset your play history or recommendations on Spotify other than creating a new account. However, some users have reported success in improving their recommendations by actively engaging with the platform, such as by liking or disliking songs, following artists, and creating playlists with songs that reflect their taste in music.

If mine starts getting a little off track from my tastes, I go through my old play lists find some throwbacks I enjoy. I find after a week or so my recommendations, local shows, podcasts and all that gets back to my normal listening habits.

Not to be hounding you... but please keep me in the loop 😄

-Prague the Dog

PragueRising Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

I also got this exact same recommendation today. And, to be clear, THIS IS NOW THE FOURTH TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED IN FOUR WEEKS. Like clockwork, Spotify finds some way to push content that has literally no links to any musical tastes. Actually, that may not be totally accurate--I'm a big fan of plenty of black artists (Sam Cooke through OutKast), and I suppose some of them may be gay. But I certainly don't listen to anyone because they are black per se (or white, or, say, Icelandic, or from California, or whatever). I listen to them because I like their music.

And so when in response to my complaint, Spotify tells me to "follow opposite artists," I am truly befuddled. What does that mean? First, I struggle to determine what makes a song a "black and gay song." I guess if it were about being homosexual and black, that makes it a "gay black song" . . . but what if it's by a white, straight artist? Hmmm. That's tough.

And I think that illustrates the broader point quite accurately: it's an insult to blacks, whites, gays, straights, and musicians in general to reduce the great pleasure of listening and composing to identarian labels. It makes no sense. Nor does pushing ideology on a Music app make any sense. People have long bought records, sometimes because of, but often in spite of  the ideology (be it political, religious, etc.) of the artist. I love Cat Stevens . . . but I'm not a Muslim, nor would it make sense for Spotify to recommend a playlist called, e.g., "Icons of English Islam."

Which brings me to my second observation: I get suspiciously few recommended playlists based on artists and genres I actually listen to. I listen to more red dirt country, jazz, and chamber music than anything, but I get suspiciously few recommendations in those genres, or Spotify-curated playlists. Which leads me to wonder whether Spotify made a conscious choice to push certain content, regardless of its listeners' obvious predilections and tastes. Given that the message boards here are replete with such complaints, I'd say that's quite likely.

The bottom line for me is this: I don't want to see that playlist ever again. And Spotify needs to figure out a way to fix it.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 172304.png

I think it’s far more likely Spotify is pushing a specific political agenda. 

Interestingly while searching my databases related to your topic Decaphocious, it did mention this.

"It's possible that this recommendation is a result of a general push by Spotify to feature more diverse and inclusive content on its platform, in order to showcase artists and musicians from underrepresented communities."

That puppy,

-Prague the Dog

PragueRising Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It's possible that Spotify's algorithm has identified some patterns in your listening behavior that suggest you might be interested in music from the Black LGBTQ+ community.
Unfortunately that is not the case.  These recommendations (shown in majordespain's picture in his post) are actually only podcasts.  I have listened to podcasts on Spotify and they happen to be only conservative.  So in this case, Spotify is recommending the exact opposite of what I listen to.
If mine starts getting a little off track from my tastes, I go through my old play lists find some throwbacks I enjoy. I find after a week or so my recommendations, local shows, podcasts and all that gets back to my normal listening habits.
My listening habits are fairly consistent so I doubt this would have any effect on this particular recommendation.  All of my recommendations on the home page have some degree of relevance except for this one (which, not surprisingly, appears first before all the other recommendations).
Like Decaphocious mentioned, it seems Spotify just shoehorned their own politically/culturally-charged recommendation to me without any consideration of its relevance to my profile.

"It's possible that this recommendation is a result of a general push by Spotify to feature more diverse and inclusive content on its platform“

That’s the specific political agenda I was referring to. I’m all for them pushing music to me they think I might be interested in. However, I’m not interested in their politics any more than they’re interested in mine. 

Yep, this is me too. Pushing an agenda and passing it as “based on your taste” is dishonest and puts into question the integrity of the company IMO. Super annoying. Really couldn’t care less whether the person is gay or black. Just give me awesome music and I’ll blast it.

Here's an idea, why doesn't Spotify do playlists and host podcasts about the many icons of brunet/blond/red music?

So it's Thursday . . . and, like clockwork, I have "Icons of Black LGBTQ+ Music" as a recommendation again! And, as before, there's no "exclude from my taste profile" option! But, huh, interestingly, there's an "include in my taste profile option." Weird . . . I don't see that option with any other categories . . . it's almost like Spotify is . . . trying to cram a social agenda down my throat??? But no, couldn't be that. I mean, they've continually assured me that they don't do that! Huh, well, I guess I'll wait for the good folks at Spotify to fix this . . . like they've told me they would do!

Get a load of these Snowflakes. Hope that Social Agenda tastes good crammed down your throat.

So you say.

As a paying customer I think we should have an option to hide this out of view and it should not be pushed monthly toward the top of our screen on whatever the agenda is for the current month.

We should have a say so in what is shown when we are paying customers on a premium family plan.

Provide an option to undisplay unwanted playlist, podcast, and/or music with**bleep**, mental problem issues aka LGBT

So, you care what men do with their buttholes? Might want to stop **bleep**-watching. Pretty suspicious behavior.

Oh yeah, because I’m the weirdo

You have men's buttholes and homosexual acts on the forefront of your mind but claim to hate LGBT material. You probably talk about gays more than gay men themselves. Life's really doing a number on you, huh? Pitiful lol

The solution is simple.  Allow subscribers a little agency and a little control of their home screens.  Allow subscribers to opt out of certain recommendations. If a subscriber receives a recommendation that offends or aggravates them, no purpose is being served.  Allow the subscriber to remove or block the recommendation.  This is not about what people should want to hear or should be forced to hear.  People are different.  That is okay.  Amazon by the way allows customers some control over the recommendations that the customers receive.  Spotify owes it to their loyal, paying subscribers to do the same.  This is also good business which is why Amazon does it.

I cancelled a five year premium subscription over this pandering nonsense.

I have 3+ terabytes of mp3's I can draw on at this point.

Weirdos.

Prague,

Diversity for the sake of diversity is garbage. Communities don't necessarily need to be represented. And all genres are already represented on Spotify. People's sexualities definitely don't need to be represented. We, who are not obsessed with race and sexual preferences, don't listen to music, because of those aspects of artists. The artists are represented, because their music, and that's enough. We don't need to know their personal preferences. It's a push, alright. You don't need to push what people want. It's a push, because it's not accepted by everyone, and that's not acceptable, according to some people. We have the right to hate homosexuality, just as much as people have the right to hate religion, their own countries, or anything.

Follow me

Suggested posts