Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why are my top genres not correct?

Solved!

Why are my top genres not correct?

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8, Chromebook

Operating System

Android, Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

In the new update for web player, my top genres are suddenly incorrect. The four genres that show for me are pop, rock, indie and hip-hop. Except there's an issue. I strongly dislike hip-hop and rap music, and this doesn't show my music taste well. I definitely do remember pop, rock and indie being on there and I don't remember what the other genre was. I know it was definitely not hip-hop, though. I don't listen to it at all. Another weird thing is that on the "more of what you like" section, it shows a bunch of k-pop playlists, but I've never listened to k-pop on Spotify (could you guess? I don't like k-pop). So obviously something's wrong and I don't know how to fix it. It might not be fixable, but if it is, could you please help? Thank you! 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @sammyy,

Thanks for your question and posting it here in the Community.

For the 'Your top genres' section in your account as well as for the playlists in 'Made for You' to update according to your taste, you need to keep using Spotify and playing songs as well as artists which reflect such taste.

If both 'Your top genres' and 'More of what you like' are incorrect as a consequence of songs and/or artists featured in your listening history despite having never been played by you, it'd be good to be checking this support page article and making sure the protection of your account is always up-to-date.

Hope you find this helpful, please let us know if we can be there for you any further!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @sammyy,

Thanks for your question and posting it here in the Community.

For the 'Your top genres' section in your account as well as for the playlists in 'Made for You' to update according to your taste, you need to keep using Spotify and playing songs as well as artists which reflect such taste.

If both 'Your top genres' and 'More of what you like' are incorrect as a consequence of songs and/or artists featured in your listening history despite having never been played by you, it'd be good to be checking this support page article and making sure the protection of your account is always up-to-date.

Hope you find this helpful, please let us know if we can be there for you any further!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have similar problems but I think it doesn’t matter very much. I don’t think I listen to Indie that much but it’s one of my top genres, However I listen to many grunge artists, and since grunge isn’t one of the options in the search tabs area it won’t come up, so I guess it just classes grunge as Indie. I also listen to vaporwave a lot, but not hip hop, but the system classes it as dance and hip hop, so they are also some of my top genres

I have the same problem my top genres are Rock, Indie, Pop and Metal, i only listen to two are three Pop songs, i've never had an Indie song in my playlist and the main genres I listen to everyday are just Rock and Metal. I'm guessing Pop and Indie are just there by default for everyone

I have the same problem as well, my top genres are Rock, Indie, Pop and "Christian & Gospel" Its quite strange since much of the music I listen to is anti-Christian and anti-theistic. I also have listened to pop once or twice because I was searching up a song for a friend, but not much more than that. I think Spotify is just not good at genres when it comes to Rock in general as I would say that I mainly listen to Punk Rock and Punk is not listed there for me.

The same to me, i listen to Angels and airwaves wich is alt rock but It tells me that It is punk, Also i don't listen to metal and It is like the fourth genre most listened acording to Spotify 

Suggested posts