Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS][Playlists] Shuffle is not really Shuffle

[iOS][Playlists] Shuffle is not really Shuffle

Hello Spotify,

I’ve been using your app since the year it came and it has always been my most enjoyable and used app. Saying all this, there are still things that I don’t know about the app. One thing that I’ve noticed the past few months is that when using the shuffle feature on my own playlist it is not 100% randomised. For example, I believe my ratio of songs on my own playlist to be more or less 50% Swedish and 50% English but for some reason I couldn’t tell you this if I used the shuffle feature. I have noticed that when I go to other playlists like Rap Caviar and listen to those songs for a week or two, when I go back to my own playlist and shuffle, I get more English songs and the contrary goes for when I listen to Swedish songs for a week or two. I was just wondering if this is placebo or an actual feature of yours?

Sincerely,

Lukas Hillström

5 Replies

I feel like every time I shuffle it always repeats the same songs, too. It's weird.

I have found that it gives more weight to songs you haven't played in a while before it plays songs you played recently. Which I agree is very frustrating as I would like a pure shuffle. If you just listened to an album fully then listen to a playlist where this album resides then the shuffle will play all of the songs on the album last in the shuffle which is not what you want. I think there should be an option you can switch on or off for pure and weighted shuffle. 

Moved:

This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Reminder-Spotify-Community-Guidelines/td-p/4786834

I have a playlist with maybe 500 songs. Some of these songs come up almost every time I play the playlist. Others almost never (or possibly actually never) have played. 

It seems like it weights the songs that are more popular to play more often. 

I hate this. 

I want it to randomize the playlist. 

OR, add a new "Randomize Play" feature. 

Whatever smarts they are using for this smart Shuffling leads to less satisfaction on my part. 

I could see value in different types of shuffle - like "Smooth Shuffle" that tries to roughly beatmatch, or tries to match vibes. But I want an actual random option too. 

Hey @eschurma,

Thank you for your post and feedback. 

We suggest that you have a look at this idea. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Once again - thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts