Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Unable to Dislike Songs in Discover Weekly Playlist

Solved!

[iOS] Unable to Dislike Songs in Discover Weekly Playlist

I'm having issues with the dislike button on my Discover Weekly playlist not showing up. I'm using an iPhone 6s with the most current version of the app installed. I can go on to my desktop app to dislike songs, but that doesn't register on my iPhone. So I'm still hearing songs I've disliked via the desktop app on my iPhone. Again, my app is updated to the current version. I am able to like songs within my discover weekly playlist on my iPhone but I am not able to dislike songs. Very frustrating as you can imagine. The main reason I use spotify is for the discover weekly and daily mixes playlists. If I'm unable to curate my discover weekly playlist by like and disliking songs via iPhone (my primary listening device) I no longer see the point in paying for Spotify. If this isn't resolved soon I am certainly canceling my membership. Again, frustrating to say the least. 

(iOS 13.4.1 and Spotify Version 8.5.55)

35 Replies

Thank you @katerina. I hope you find a solution soon.

Hi Katerina,

please pass on the request to have feature parity between all supported platforms. It is extremely annoying to have a much appreciated and daily used feature, only to miss it on mobile devices etc. At least give the users the option to enable the features within the settings, if they can not be activated by default.

Thanks and kind regards!

Marked as solution

Hey there @foobarbar,

Thanks for sharing this!

Rest assured that we'll pass this along to the right folks. 

Bear in mind that in the meanwhile you should still be able to hide any tracks you'd like to not listen to by clicking the three-dot menu and tapping Hide this song.

Further, if you'd like to make any specific feature requests, you can always do so in our Idea Exchange. This gives the opportunity to other Spotify users to add their support by adding their +VOTE and comments to ideas they'd also like to see. 

If you're curious on how ideas get implemented and how your feedback reaches the teams internally through ideas, we'd recommend taking a look at this Spotify Answer

Hope this is a bit more helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else! We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I'm able to "hide" songs on iOS, but it doesn't seem to sync my preferences to my desktop application. On top of that, it's super frustrating to have to go through a whole menu to hide a song now, instead of clicking the "dislike" option that used to exist on the iOS app.

@Katerina wrote:

Hey again,

Thanks for your patience while we were looking into this!

We're always testing things in the app to improve its functionality. While this happens, you might see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or you could get a new feature to try out temporarily.

This would explain why you're having troubles to see the dislike button in the Now Playing View of your Discover Weekly in the mobile app.

However, for now, you should be able to hide any tracks you'd like to not listen to by clicking the three-dot menu and tapping Hide this song.

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Not really a solution when driving with the phone connected via CarPlay and the interface in driving mode. Any idea when the functionality will be restored?

This new removal of a crucial function is not appreciated and hinders the general functionality of the concept of Discover Weekly, which relies on an algorithm which is now partly broken/useless on mobile devices.

The algorithm was very clever and useful. Now not so much. To simply ‘hide’ it temporarily on the mobile device converts something simple into something complicated and does not contribute to the actual function/algorithm.

While this topic has been marked as solved, you are merely admitting that this is not an error and is instead due to a ‘new design feature’.

I agree with the rest of the comments regarding its use. There is a major difference between hiding a song forever and temporarily. The system worked well before.

This new ‘feature’ is annoying, frustrating and useless.

Do you want to assist finding new music that people enjoy, so that they may continue to use your service? This will not help you achieve this.

I don’t have the “hide song” option either in the there dots menu so I am left with listening some Russian songs that are really out of my taste. I am really **bleep** that you are testing the dislike button now and then from time to time. This is not an UX preference, it is a must have feature for many people.

Hey again folks,

We really appreciate you continuing to share your feedback here in this thread!

Just to confirm, are you still experiencing this in the latest version of the app? 

If so, it would be really helpful if you could let us know with a comment below, along with the exact version of the app you're on. We'll be passing this along to the right teams.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Katerina,

Correct.  No change in functionality here.  I have a heart icon to “like” a song, and a “hide song” option behind the menu (three dots).   I just updated to version 8.5.71.859 on iOS 13.6. 

I think we all would really appreciate a simpler “Dislike Song” button directly on the play screen.  

Correst, I am still experiencing this issue. The heart icon to “like” a song is there on the right, and the only way to "dislike" a song is to navigate to the three dots menu at the top right of the screen then choose the “hide song” option from there. I'm running version 8.5.71.859 on iOS 13.6

Still no dislike button.

Spotify Version 8.5.72.905

iPhone 6s iOS Version 13.6

Still no dislike button for songs that are really out of my taste...

Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the reports so far. We've checked things backstage and it appears that this feature has been changed with our recent updates.

We can confirm that, at the moment, the "Dislike" icon is only available directly on the Now Playing view for users on the Free plan. 

If you’re a Premium user you can still dislike tracks in any playlist you don’t own from within the context menu (3 dots). If you'd like to change the placement back to the Now Playing view, you can always submit a new idea for it in the Idea Exchange - it’s the best way to provide your feedback for new features such as this one.

There is already an existing idea which suggests something similar - feel free to add your vote to it here.

Hope this info is useful. Give us a shout if there's anything else we can help you with.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Just give us back the dislike button for every track and playlist. On the Apple Watch, phone ... everywhere. It's not that hard. Try your new features with beta testers not with the world. 

You are always making it hard. I just want to hear good music and not be a beta tester. 

Give us back the LOVE and HATE button!

How else are we supposed to guide the algo to propose good music. Seems to me the quality of recommendation is getting worse and worse. Fix that, please!

I agree, there is a recent Release Radar playlist that I absolutely hate but I cannot dislike or hide any tracks on that particular playlist whatever I try whether I hover over the track with my cursor, right click or three dots menu, the option is just not available. It looks deliberate! I can use these options on other playlists thankfully.

Suggested posts