Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[playlists][All platforms] Playlists keeps randomly moving out of folders and into other folders

Solved!

[playlists][All platforms] Playlists keeps randomly moving out of folders and into other folders

Plan - Premium

Country - USA

Device - MacBook Pro M1X, Pixel 6 Pro

Operating System - Mac OS 13 and Android 13

My Question or Issue:
The playlists I oraganized keeps moving out of the folders they are in, into a higher level, or to completely random folders. This happened four time in the past 3 month. Once if happens I've check my android app version of spotify and even the webplayer (on Chrome) and sometimes they are in a completely different order (i.e. playlist in different folders than the desktop app). Is this a bug, please advice. its not too much a hassle to reorganize them but I fear loosing my playlists.

Based on some of the searches I've done on the forums here, I have unininstalled and reinstalled both my android and desktop app, and clear my web caches. The playlist and folder structure did not repair itself.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @murnua,

Thanks for the post.

Playlist shouldn't be moving from one folder to another. What might be happening is that you're logged into multiple devices on your account, to which other users might have access, like a communal game console, TV or smart speaker, and someone else might have moved your content around.

It's best you Log out everywhere, reset your password and log back in only on devices which you personally use.

If that the moving of playlists keeps happening after that please let us know and we'll investigate further. Some devices, might not recognize the folder structure, or the custom order of your playlists within a folder, but in general the playlists themselves can't move.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @murnua,

Thanks for the post.

Playlist shouldn't be moving from one folder to another. What might be happening is that you're logged into multiple devices on your account, to which other users might have access, like a communal game console, TV or smart speaker, and someone else might have moved your content around.

It's best you Log out everywhere, reset your password and log back in only on devices which you personally use.

If that the moving of playlists keeps happening after that please let us know and we'll investigate further. Some devices, might not recognize the folder structure, or the custom order of your playlists within a folder, but in general the playlists themselves can't move.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

HI @Alex when i posted thee above I already logged out and uninstall all my instances of Spotify and then reinstalled them. It has not happened yet, but I am still waiting. Since this has happened once before. But not a third time.

Hey @murnua

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We understand that you already logged out and reinstalled the app, but the steps @Alex mentioned previously are a bit different. Signing out everywhere will log you out on all the devices you've ever logged in. This doesn't include partner devices, for those you can follow these steps. Also, it's worth changing your password to ensure others don't have access to your account. 

Let us know how it goes. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

HI @eni, Ok, I see the difference, I'll go do that now and keep watch.

Hi @eni and @alex, i have been playing around with multiple accounts and have not see the issue repeating. i'll continue adding more accounts back. But currently i believe this is fix. thanks for all your advice. 

Suggested posts