Spotify P2P Uploads killing my internet

Solved!
2 people liked this

Spotify P2P Uploads killing my internet

Roadie
‎2012-12-21 05:06 AM

Right, I have slow internet as it is. Roughly 6-7meg down and lucky if 0.90meg up, for this reason... I want to disable spotify from uploading. I don't care if half of the program is based around P2P Networks, let me leech from users or the spotify server.

I pay £5 a month for unlimited spotify, yet I cannot use spotify when I'm playing games or otherwise, since the upload kills my ping. Spotify downloads are fine however, but when you're saturating my 0.90meg upload speed, you're saturating my line, TOO.

If there is no option to disable P2P and/or uploading, I'll be forced to cancel my subscripton with you. You know, you have a real chance to bring money to record labels, you charge a high monthly price as it is (premium should be £5!) and then you skimp on bandwidth and networking, forcing that labour onto your customers lines.

Of course though, it is always about greed and what you can cut/downgrade to save a buck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
5 people liked this

Re: Spotify P2P Uploads killing my internet

Roadie
‎2013-12-27 06:20 AM

Heh wow, over a year on and this topic is still a debate. Well I still use spotify, but only free. I sometimes grab a month of "unlimited" ever now and then when I have a binging month of my playlists.

Otherwise i am radio listener instead now. Digitally Imported, SKY FM, JazzRadio and RockRadio are all owned by the same company, so I over 200 radio stations ad free, highest quality for a premium cost of $4.99 a month, that includes all their mobile apps too.

With 200 radio stations, plenty of genres to pick from. If I want to listen to a specific song whilst im out, ill just youtube it. They add radio channels all the time too, had an email couple days ago saying they added 3 new channels to di.fm

Don't get me wrong, a year on... they still use p2p. I'm not mad, spotify has its place in my life, just one that won't get very much of my money until things change.

Spotify as a company is very lucky, because it's the first of it's kind. But time will run out and stubborn spotify employees will be the death of this company. Just like social networking sites never changed, so they ended on the back shelf when something better came along.

It's the human condition and company owners never change for fear of ruining their product; yet the irony is that the lack of changes or adapations will be the death of their company. Heh.

I tried out the spotify mobile now us "free" peasent users can use it, it's horrific... because im listening to a song, you still have to pay royalaties to artists, and I still get ads to cover this; same as on the desktop client. But you purposely made a bad BAD move by only allowing shuffle play. Why? To frustrate users even more and force them to spend £10 a month on your service?

From my point of view, that purposely made bad move about shuffle play only is a factor why i WONT be paying for spotify in ANY capacity until it is fixed.

Im unsubbed from this thread, to anyone reading. Spotify isn't interested in your feedback on this issue, it's been over a year so dont waste your typing skills on them, find a company that values it's customers instead of trying to force them into paying.

28 Replies
1 person liked this

Spotify
Spotify
‎2012-12-21 11:40 AM
There is an option. Simply head to your 'Preferences' and set the cache size to 0GB. This way, your Spotify will only stream and nothing will be stored, meaning nothing will be able to be uploaded.

The P2P nature of the network isn't just to take the strain off the central servers, it also enables you to get your music as quickly as possible, allowing nearly 20 million tracks to be started within a split second and gapless playback on the Spotify catalogue. It's a pretty incredible network.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Music Fan
‎2013-01-03 07:42 AM

But it isn't possible to set it to 0GB, i set the location to a cd-rom so now it can't cache at all.

Community Legend
‎2013-01-03 09:23 AM

olejokle wrote:

But it isn't possible to set it to 0GB, i set the location to a cd-rom so now it can't cache at all.

:D

Dancecore streaming everywhere with unlimited 2M/2M mobile 3G network.
1 person liked this

Community Legend
‎2013-01-03 09:24 AM

Sam wrote:
There is an option. Simply head to your 'Preferences' and set the cache size to 0GB. This way, your Spotify will only stream and nothing will be stored, meaning nothing will be able to be uploaded.

The P2P nature of the network isn't just to take the strain off the central servers, it also enables you to get your music as quickly as possible, allowing nearly 20 million tracks to be started within a split second and gapless playback on the Spotify catalogue. It's a pretty incredible network.

Hey Sam, can you add to me link to this version where I can only stream?

Roadie
‎2013-01-03 09:28 AM

Well I didn't use any work around here, I simply blocked spotify from uploading in my firewall, it has helped but not 100% due to the nature of P2P.

An upload rate option would be great in-app, then i could set it to 1kb/s

Spotify Legend
‎2013-01-03 09:35 AM

hpguru wrote:

I think he's talking about the option in the Preferences menu, under the "Cache" tab. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Community Legend
‎2013-01-03 10:39 AM

David wrote:

hpguru wrote:

I think he's talking about the option in the Preferences menu, under the "Cache" tab. 

Yes, but minimun cache setting here is 1GB.

Spotify Legend
‎2013-01-03 10:42 AM
Oops.

You're entirely right. I do apologise.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Community Legend
‎2013-01-03 02:25 PM

No problems!

SUGGESTED POSTS