How to reset Discover Weekly playlist?

osweetman
Regular

My Discover Weekly playlist is stuck on a certain kind of music and doesn't seem to "learn" from the music I actually play on Spotify.  I think this is because I started on Spotify by downloading a music festival playlist, and Discover Weekly has been stuck on that kind of music ever since.  I haven't listened to other playlists but I read that Discover Weekly is based on playlists you listen to - so I created a playlist with a wide variety of music and started playing it a lot.  It's been a couple weeks now and Discover Weekly is still the same as before.

So, how do I reset Discover Weekly?  Do I have to delete my current account and start a new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: How to reset Discover Weekly playlist?

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

@osweetman

Right now, there's no option to reset it.

Please 'vote' this idea and post there if you would like to have the option to reset your music profile:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Other-quot-Reset-Taste-Profile-History-quo...

osorniosRock Star 23
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

63 Replies
Solution!

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

@osweetman

Right now, there's no option to reset it.

Please 'vote' this idea and post there if you would like to have the option to reset your music profile:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Other-quot-Reset-Taste-Profile-History-quo...

osorniosRock Star 23

View solution in original post

jfert
Roadie

The Spotify Discover Weekly playlist is tailored around your music experience.  However, it's a little more complicated than that.  It also shows you music that other people that listened to the same kind of music you did.  So for example, if you listened to "Song A" (made up for example purposes) and so did someone else in the world, and then they went off to listen to "Song C" after that, then you might find "Song C" in your discover weekly playlist if it is relevant to your music style.  You can't refresh it manually, but it refreshes automatically every week.  It's dependent on what you listen to and what is in your music library.  You could always unfollow it however if you decide that you don't like the suggestions. 

Micke6

I have the same problem. My children used my account, but now when they are bigger we have gotten a family account. But my account and my Discover Weekly is infected with a lot of "**bleep** music", so my Discover Weekly just comes up with "**bleep** music" = not music that I like. Too bad. The function of this playlist sounds like a exciting idea. Please let us reset the list.

dansaren

My discover weekly is crazy aswell. As a swede i dont really care that much (read: hate it) of Finnish heavy metal - which i never ever listening to. But every week i get like 5-10 songs of this music genre :) its really annoying!

ajmoore
Casual Listener

My Discover weekly has not changed in over a month, what to do??

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

Hey @ajmoore,

Have you been streaming recently, and do you regularly listen in a private session? Do you only stream from the DW playlist? Streams from the DW playlist don't count towards your recommendations.

You can try unfollowing your DW, and then heading to 'Browse > Discover'  to follow it again afterwards. Hopefully, unfollowing and following again helps.

Let me know how it goes. :)
osorniosRock Star 23

rtpr

I also get Finnish metal in my list.

Really annoying.

A feature like thumbs down/up in the discover list would be good.

My list also suffers from the early years when the family shared one account.

spny
Regular

It should be fairly trivial to implement a mechanism to do this, please make it happen Spotify!

yaelf417

I made a playlist that had 3 songs on it to help me fall asleep. I played it on repeat overnight for like a month. Now Spotify thinks I listen to meditation music. I tried deleting the sleep playlist and liking a bunch of normal artists but my Discover Weekly hasn't changed. 

I wish you could make a playlist and check a box or something to say that you don't want it to be factored into your music "taste." It should be obvious to Spotify that users may browse music genres that they don't actually like. For example- what if I needed to research and collect Bollywood music for a project or something? I should be able to opt out of having that affect my music profile. It's in Spotify's interest to make sure musical outliers don't (irreparably) mutate a user's music profile.

Personally, it's made it next to impossible for me to find new music I like on Spotify, now. I haven't used it for a couple months now and am going to cancel my subscription if my music doesn't go back to normal soon. I shouldn't have the music I listen to while conscious be determined by what I listen to while I'm (literally) asleep. A mere 3 songs, no less.

SUGGESTED POSTS