Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Thanks, I will pass this on to the installer

Who set this problem to Solved? The Solved link is sending me to a reply saying I should use Deezer instead... Rather strange solution on this problem on a Spotify forum.

Hi,

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread.

I use Sonos on iPhone and it works with Spotify no problem. when I open Sonos on my Macbook it says connection error when selecting Spotify.

This is clearly an issue with the controller on Mac OS. check the picture it shows a running play list on my Sonos which I started on a Android device and when I go to Spotify on Mac it gives me the error. ( I have no firewall or littlesnitch running) An my internet connection is ok.. as I'm writing this from the Macbook.Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 09.32.19.png

I solved mine issue.

It seems the Sonos controller for mac as of version 3.7 try to use /etc/resolv.conf and this file is not longer used by Mac OSX since Snow Leopard

#
# Mac OS X Notice
#
# This file is not used by the host name and address resolution
# or the DNS query routing mechanisms used by most processes on
# this Mac OS X system.
#
# This file is automatically generated.

Mine was empty and therefor the controller could not connect to Spotify or Deeze and Internet Radio, also when checked for updates I received error 1101.

I changed the resolv.conf to look at my cable router and now it works again.

Thanks go to ivo67 at the Sonos forum to point me in the correct direction.

Hi All, I have fibre optic broadband from Zen Internet with 22mbps bandwidth and have been using Spotify Premium for several months with no issues whatsoever. I bought a Sonos Bridge and Play 5 yesterday. Following installation I was initially delighted with the results. But after playing only a couple of songs on a Friday night The system paused play during a song. My Sonos app on my iPhone 4S seemed to have frozen, and after around a minute it said unable to add track to queue. It also said several times that my Sonos system had no music components, causing me to need to repeatedly re-connect my iPhone to the system. In summary, I tried for 4 hours to get it working and failed. There is no tech support at weekends. I am furious that this product is on sale as it is totally unreliable. Full refund has been agreed over the phone. I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday and will buy a Bose Lifestyle 3200 when I've saved up enough dish 🙂

Hi All, I have fibre optic broadband from Zen Internet with 22mbps bandwidth and have been using Spotify Premium for several months with no issues whatsoever. I bought a Sonos Bridge and Play 5 yesterday. Following installation I was initially delighted with the results. But after playing only a couple of songs on a Friday night The system paused play during a song. My Sonos app on my iPhone 4S seemed to have frozen, and after around a minute it said unable to add track to queue. It also said several times that my Sonos system had no music components, causing me to need to repeatedly re-connect my iPhone to the system. In summary, I tried for 4 hours to get it working and failed. There is no tech support at weekends. I am furious that this product is on sale as it is totally unreliable. Full refund has been agreed over the phone. I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday and will buy a Bose Lifestyle 3200 when I've saved up enough dosh 🙂

Hi J.Hayward, I don't think the problem is your Sonos system. It works perfectly with internet radio and Deezer. The combination Sonos-Spotify fails.See all the comments above.
I use Sonos bridge and play 5 together with a Bose V35 Lifestyle and it works great. The sound is marvellous and no problems at all. But as I said, I'm using Deezer.
Just try another service. I am afraid you will regret returning the Sonos.

I too recently switched to Deezer, and frankly I now wish I'd switched before.  Advantages:

- So far no connectivity issues, whereas Spotify was unreliable frequently enough to make me uncomfortable using the service (it's embarrassing having friends around and the service dropping out!)

- I'm fed up of finding that tracks available on the Spotify PC interface are not available on Sonos. No such problem on Deezer so far.

- The Deezer artist radio facility is supported on Sonos, but Spotify artist radio isn't

- I can organise my own library on Deezer and access this using Sonos organised by artist , album and track

- I can add and remove music I've found via Sonos to my own Deezer library directly through the Sonos interface

- Album and track lists are organised alphabetically and show the year as well as the title

Generally a better experience!

Marked as solution

Hi Bremvelt, I did take the Sonos back to the store for a full refund. As well as not working with Spotify, the Sonos Play 5 speaker repeatedly failed to reconnect to the bridge after being unplugged and moved to a new room. It's woefully poor that Sonos offer no telephone tech support at weekends. Lots of other Sonos customers have listed problems online regarding inability to reconnect speakers following power outages. The main thing is I am really glad I returned it because I bought a JBL Onbeat Extreme with the money and this sounds far far better. I plan to get a separates system in the fullness of time but in the meantime the JBL is wonderful with rumbling deep bass and sweet mid range:)

Re the Sonos / Spotify connection issues... I'm finding forum posts around the web describing the same issue going back to 2008! But can't find one post where anyone has found a solution, just lots of trouble shooting with both services and no resolution.  Wow, you'd think they'd have a handle on this by now.

I'm a new Sonos ueser, old Spotify user... I've never had an issue with playback in my home via computer, iPad or iPhone... buty same issue as everyone else in regards to playing via Sonos.  I can't get through one song using Spotify before it drops out and eventually gives me a bandwidth issue message.  Speedtest results at time of message are normal. 

I'm having the same issues.  I switched from MOG (which worked perfectly) to Spotify hoping to take advantage of the superior playlist options.  It's pointless if I can't even listen to the music, though.

I'm thinking about switching back or trying any of the other dozens of music services that actually work with Sonos.  The reason I decided to pay for this service and the ridiculously expensive Sonos system is because they're supposed to Just Work.

Spotify, please open the dialog with the Sonos developers to see what the issue is.  You also have plenty of users here if you need bug/usage reports to help isolate the problem.

Hello?  Do Spotify employees even read these forums?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/The-connection-to-Spotify-was-lost/td-p/3...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-Please-fix-the-Sonos-connection-l...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-with-Sonos/td-p/10259

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-on-Sonos-is-not-stable-enough/td-...

These are all threads about the same issue.  There is NOT ONE response from a Spotify employee--not even a simple acknowledgement of the problem which very clearly exists.  Spotify doesn't even pass the buck to Sonos!  It's just silence.  I'm not impressed.

@bxr wrote:

Hello?  Do Spotify employees even read these forums?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/The-connection-to-Spotify-was-lost/td-p/3...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-Please-fix-the-Sonos-connection-l...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-with-Sonos/td-p/10259

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Spotify-on-Sonos-is-not-stable-enough/td-...

These are all threads about the same issue.  There is NOT ONE response from a Spotify employee--not even a simple acknowledgement of the problem which very clearly exists.  Spotify doesn't even pass the buck to Sonos!  It's just silence.  I'm not impressed.

Hey! 🙂 

These forums are mainly for community support (as it says in the guidelines there is no official support here) but the staff do often view topics and pass on feedback. Sonos issues are made more difficult since it is always hard to find out where the problem is, if it was a Spotify API issue it would probably affect more than 1 partner service too. 

If you have an issue which requires Spotify staff help and the community has not been able to find you a solution you can get in touch with Spotify support directly using the online contact form

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes you can get in touch with Spotify support ... and it will be of absolutely no help to you whatsoever. 

(If any Spotify staff really do read these forums perhaps you could dig out the support ticket request of mine you set to closed seemingly because you had failed to reply to it for so long!)

How wrong I was! I immediately got two responses from Spotify after posting this comment. One made me a new contributor and one making me a Spotify fan. Woohoo!
However my system still doesn't work, so after four years as a free and then a premium subscriber I am sodding off to Deezer, and no-one at Spotify will either know or care.

There are obviously some complicated issues with Sonos+Spotify. I've installed somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 Sonos players. Most of these are using Spotify as the "on-demand" music service and Pandora as the main radio service. A large percentage of my clients who mainly use Spotify to listen to music have complained about playback problems. Because of this, I installed a test system with 8 Sonos Connect units and tested it extensively over the past month. I've experienced many of the problems listed on the Sonos and Spotify user forums, and have noticed a couple things that might be helpful:

1. Dropouts and other brief service interruptions seem to happen mostly at night during peak listening hours. A lot of people out there feel that this is a server issue on either Sonos' or Spotify's side... Makes sense to me. Either way, even if a solid cause is known for these issues, I wouldn't expect a statement from either company acknowledging the problem.

2. Something that has at least temporarily fixed a major playback problem (tracks not playing, or skipping through 3-4 tracks at a time in a playlist) on my test system was to remove and then re-add the Spotify service under "Manage," "Service Settings." I'll repost if the issues come back. 

I had the same problem. I contact Spotify help and they provided the following tips:

There might be a several issues which are responsible for it. Please try this, step by step:

1) change a password and try to log in again

if not working

2) let us know and we will reset the list with your offline devices (Spotify can be used on 3 devices and you have already 3 in offline mode)

if not working

3) please check your Firewall settings and if you can use Spotify on other devices using the same WiFi

if not working

4) contact Sonos and reinstall your app

The first suggestion worked. I changed my password and re-logged into Spotify through the Sonos app.

I was listening to Spotify on Sonos as I have for the last several months. Suddenly Spotify could not connect. My account is up to date. I am not using Spotify anywhere else at the moment.  I tried removing Spotify as a service and re-establishing the account but it always says "cannot log in to Spotify. Check internet connection or contact Spotify. I am really annoyed that I cannot fix this problem.   I have had a premium account for years now.  Please help me sort this out. I use Spotify all day every day on Sonos.

There was definitely an extended  break in the sonos spotify connection - now I can log in normally- what the ....???

Having the exact same problem, using Sonos to connect to spotify as  Premium account user - over Verizon Fios.  I have logged this with Sonos and they suggested talking to Spotify about the issue since all other services run fine... except Spotify.   We all could be getting the runaround from both companies with endless finger pointing... or they might get together and make their customers happy.

At any rate, this has to get fixed or my spotify premium membership will be coming to an end at my earliest convenience.

Link to issue in Sonos support forum - chime in!!  http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=215103&posted=1#post215103

Suggested posts