Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When will 'sort search results by column heading' be restored to Spotify?

"once you do a search, the column headings are unresponsive, regarding sorting by song title or sorting by artist or by album".

This is something I need from the program that should not have been removed.

"I can no longer SORT the search results by song title like I used to every day."

"Unable to SORT after doing a search."

different ways of saying it, but everyone knows it's a problem.

my question, when will it be fixed?

thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now sort the column headers in the search results again! If you don't have it yet, you will soon as it rolls out.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

130 Replies

Hey there!

At the moment, there is no set date for it to be restored. Most likely, if we are lucky, it will be restored! Keep checking back soon! 🙂

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

A workaround currently seems to be to append spotify:search: before what you want to search for. For example, if you want to search for the word "song" you should search for spotify:search:song instead of just song. Doing this gives you the old search interface, with sortable columns.

That's awesome! Thanks @StevenR !

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@StevenR wrote:

A workaround currently seems to be to append spotify:search: before what you want to search for. For example, if you want to search for the word "song" you should search for spotify:search:song instead of just song. Doing this gives you the old search interface, with sortable columns.

Thanks for that. It doesn't automatically show the various categories in the drop down and you have to press 'Enter' for it to work.

I thought it was fixed properly this morning; I did several searches and it worked. Then I quit Spotify and re-opened and it had stopped working.

Yeah this needs to be fixed asap. The sort function is pretty much needed. Who's brilliant idea was it to take it out anyway?

Sadly since it's Easter, I can't see this being fixed urgently. 😞

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This is also a work around for filtering search results using CTRL+F.

It felt like my heart stopped for a bit when I realised I couldn't filter search results anymore. I'm not one to usually gripe about the "improvements" implemented, but when they removed the filtered list view for "Appears On", that was a huge disappointment, and worse, the ability to filter artist pages. I mean good luck browsing through 50+ compilation albums looking for that one song. Why not implempent a filtered list view as well as an album view? Being able to filter search results is really the only viable option now to find THAT particular song within search results of hundreds of songs, and if they remove that .. well, I'd seriouly consider looking at other streaming alternatives, because I feel the functionality of the desktop client is getting increasingly less useful with every new update.

Sorry, I'm done complaining now... but it felt good. 🙂

Worst easter egg ever! 😉

Yes - i want this back too! Especially a sort on Time - as I like listening to the longer tracks. Honestly - I hate upgrades - if it ain't broke don't fix it!!! Microsoft should have thought like this too before releasing Windows 8!!

Honestly - I love upgrades - but it's true that one of the quickest ways to break something, is to fix it when it ain't broken.

Hej everybody.

I am a professionel musician and use Spotify often, when I teach my students.

If the sort funtion does not get restored back, so I can sort them by column I will have to find another program to use all together. Searching for something specific, just takes to much time now and I don't have that time when I am teaching.

Please Spotify. Restore the "sort search by columns"-function as fast as you can or your gonna lose my business.

Carsten Coach, Denmark.

Carsten,

You do know the workaround?

This causes it to act just like it did before they broke it.

Here's an example. I want to search for songs called 'Glad All Over'.

So, instead of just entering 'glad all over' for a search, I enter this:

spotify:search:glad all over

That causes the column headings to be responsive, and then I can sort by columns, just like before they broke it.

So that is what I've been doing, I just prefix my search text with 'spotify:search:' and then I'm happy with the results.

Not quite as happy as before they broke it, maybe, but happy enough.

Best wishes,

Wade Cottingham

Dallas, TX

Thanks for the work around, but I hope this gets made the default behaviour as I shouldn't have to memorise search strings just to be able to sort the results.  If there is some sort of designer / politics nonsense going on with it, make it a Preferences option.

It is absolutely basic to be able to search by the column headings (Song, Artist, Album. Time etc.)

It used to work perfectly before the 'upgrade.'

I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would think this function could be dispensed with.

Similarly the scroll bar on the right is now virtually invisible and far too narrow in Windows 7.

Can someone from Spotify please advise when this error will be corrected?

Many thanks

You can also put the whole search list into a new playlist, then go to that playlist and find that good old sort function in working order. 

This is absurd.

I can't find one single advantage with the new Spotify version. You can't see what's selected, can't see the scroll bar, can't extend column widths, can't star, can't SORT... can't sort!? ... sorting is the foundation of the digital world ... Please, help desk, tell me how to reinstall the old version!!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the workaround, works like a charm, but I insist too : we need to have this behaviour by default !

It is not Easter anymore 😉

Thanks a lot,

4wk_

France

For me, the sort on column is not really a feature anymore, but a standard.

Remove it is an unproductive nonsense.

The workaround is good, but temporarily.

I agree. 🙂

Thanks for the workaround! Too bad it's so unintuitive that people can't figure it out on their own.

I want to add to the general complaints on this thread that as far as i remember, having been a Premium customer for 4-5 years, this is the first time that a Spotify update has made the UX far worse. This is so bad that I wonder if the person responsible for the search function is even using Spotify himself. (Or herself.)

Suggested posts