Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I think this issue demonstrates, without doubt, that the people who did the design don't actually use Spotify on a regular basis. Because if they did, this situation would annoy the heck out of them and they would have fixed it PDQ.

We are talking to people who don't care because they don't 'really use' the app.

How hard would it be to fix such a basic feature? Results not being sortable is a pretty darn big problem. 

Finally having a chance to look into this in a little more detail, I don't think the feature was "removed" so to speak. It appears, the search results are now being rendered server side and the search results page is a web view (in fact it is indentical to the one you get on the web player), whereas previously (or if you use the spotify:search: workaround) the page that gets displayed is a local view just like playlists. 

No excuse really for why it hasn't been added into the new view, but it is interesting to see there has been a pretty fundamental change.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

In fact, you don't need to specify song, e.g. spotify:search: Rolling Stones

Thanks, it works.  But we shouldn't have to do it.  How can we get spotify to bring back this feature? It's crucial!

Honestly 2 years of premium will end asap if this is the way. Atleast to me it looks like this is done by deliberately and clearly can see someone genius thinking now artists like more because people are clicking every darn album open to find their favourite song..

Same here, but I've been a premium since its inception. 

I use spotify a lot to find obscure samples for my music production, this is now not possible due to sorting not being available. 

It is absolutely ludicruous that they figured it was a good idea to label this very BASIC feature as "Not right now"

Goodbye spotify, moving on to greener pastures where the developers actually care about their customer base. 

Can't wait to finally import my Flac files (another highly requested feature spotify has ignored) into a program that isn't lacking a feature that has been available since windows 95 in all other explorer views. 

I have been an avid advertiser for Spotify to my friends, but now I will advise them to steer clear. 

Hej Boys and Girls.

Some of you ask, what we can do to get this feature back in action??? You can send customer feedback.

Go to Spotifys Help page, then scroll down, and choose the link "about". There you will find a contact form, which you can fill out and send.

Let's work together and send them as much feedback about this as possible. Cheers Mates. 🙂 😉

Kind Regards Carsten Coach

@carstencoach wrote:

Hej Boys and Girls.

Some of you ask, what we can do to get this feature back in action??? You can send customer feedback.

Go to Spotifys Help page, then scroll down, and choose the link "about". There you will find a contact form, which you can fill out and send.

Let's work together and send them as much feedback about this as possible. Cheers Mates. 🙂 😉

Direct link if anyone wants it:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Peter

@carstencoach wrote:

Hej Boys and Girls.

For goodnes sake; they have had loads of feedback already via this forum ---- Spotify's very own forum!

If they haven't got the message by now, they never will.

Actually, they have got the message; they just don't seem to care.

Don't give up yet. 🙂 😉 Carsten Coach

the best news on this topic, regarding this thread I started several weeks ago, is:

Amazon Prime Music rolled out today.  It looks gorgeous and i think it has the 'Library' type shuffle feature Spotify chopped off.

I don't know how well it searches and sorts yet, haven't even tried that aspect yet!

But I know that with a little time Amazon is gonna obliterate Spotify in the music-streaming industry.

That is a no-brainer, right? A HUGE company with the best customer service on earth waits a year or two to do its homework before taking on a company with truly bizarre customer service?  

This news today leaves me with very few cares or worries about Spotify's bizarre feature-destroying-updates.

I wish Spotify the best, but I'm way past being in love with it!

Prime Music is only available in the US at the minute though. 😞

Peter

Someone should start somekind of online petition like "I cancel my subscribion atleast for 1 month because of sorting problem". That actually could be really working in all fields of online business. Would be easy to cancel subscrision for 1 month (even when likes the program) but if even about 2000 customer does the same for same reason it's starting to look $ wise to make the change..

Please fix this, I used to be able to sort search results by column, especially album, artist and length of song and I used this feature a lot. Need it back asap please!!!

It would take the devs 1min to append "spotify:search:" this to all searches... Why arent they fixing this?

Edit:
String searchTerm = "spotify:search:" + searchInputField.getText();

doSearch(searchTerm);

There, I fixed it for you mr Spotify dev. 😛

@d0lph1n wrote:

Why arent they fixing this?

Because they don't care.

Why is Spotify being developed by people who hardly use the programme in real life? The Dev team can't be regular users because sorting in search is essential to anyone who uses Spotify regularly, and lack of it would have driven them so crazy, that they would have fixed it by now.

@d0lph1n wrote:

It would take the devs 1min to append "spotify:search:" this to all searches... Why arent they fixing this?

Edit:
String searchTerm = "spotify:search:" + searchInputField.getText();

doSearch(searchTerm);

There, I fixed it for you mr Spotify dev. You should be ashamed of yourself.

That won't be a fix they will be wanting to use. Almost all of the pages in Spotify are moving way from their native rendering system (like playlists) to web views rendered by Chromium (like aritst pages etc). The "spotify:search" work around only works because it drops you back to the "old" rendering, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets removed completely in an upcoming release. 

Peter

Lets hope they dont remove the page completely before fixing sorting in the new ones 🙂

What's really sad is that sorting by clicking on the column header already works in places like a playlist view, just not in the search results view which is where it is needed most.

Suggested posts