Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not detecting files randomly

I have a few mp3 files in a folder. That folder is selected as local files library and for some reson it stops detecting these files. Somtimes few, somtimes all of them, and somtimes its fine.

10 Replies

Hey @DrunkMouse7,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community! 

That's weird. Could you answer some question? Thanks in advance!

1. Do the files dissapear completely or do they just stop playing?
  2. Do you get any errors?
  3. What did you do before this happened?
  4. Do the local files play if you put them in a playlist or do they vanish there as well?

Files are still there in the folder, and they read in the section local files but they dissappear in playlists, and they show as not complete dowloded playlists, as for what i was doing i was just prowsing the web, it ussualy happens when i add new mp3 to the folder or close and reopen the app

and i can fix it by dissabeling and reenabeling the folder in spotify settings.

Great to hear you've found a temporary fix.

I'm trying to figure what's up, but right now all I've found is a bug from early 2015 that sometimes stopped local files from syncing. Your issue is your PC as well right, not just your phone?

I did find a thread that appeared to be the same issue from January 2016, but there was no solution posted. Really annoying.

So now I am trying to replicate the issue. It seems like Spotify sort of 'forgets' how to handle you local files whenever you add a new one. Since I found that thread from January it might be a bug, but I'll ask around. Hang on!

Okay, this might seem a bit vague, but maybe another program is somehow messing with your files. This could have various reasons, but that's not important. Try this:

1. Remove your folder from Spotify
  2. Move the folder to your Desktop 
  3. Add the folder to Spotify again

See if the issue's still there. Since adding and removing files seems to trigger it, try that. Tell me if this works!

seems like it fixed the issue but im not 100 percent shure, because it happens randomly after changes in the folder, also it didn't detected all the files for the first time i added the folder i had to switch the follder on and off a couple times

Okay, let's hope it did fix the issue. Keep me posted. 😉

I've been having the same issue, only on my computer though. I've tried to identify patterns as to what songs disappear but even within one album from a CD some songs stop working while others are fine.

For me the songs still show in both Local Files and the Playlists they were added to but they are greyed out and cannot be played. I'll try moving the folder to desktop as suggested and let you know if that works.

Ok I tried a few things and I think I finnally know what's causing the songs to disappear and it's not spotify causing the issue so far as I can tell. It seems windows media player automatically detects songs and makes changes to the details and I think it's causing spotify not to recognise the same file. I have completely disabled this feature in WMP and then removed all the deets it added, I'll play around with it and post tomorrow if this has solved the issue.

Does anyone else have this issue? One day I logged on and my computer was only detecting like 10/250 songs in one of my folders. It had been working fine for a year or two. I moved them to other folders, made copies, moved them to my desktop, other filepaths. Each time it detects different songs, all from the same mp3s. Currently I only have like 40/400 songs working and some of them have multiple copies of the same song since the only way I can seem to get any songs at all is making copies of the same ones.

Suggested posts