Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

what the hell. why is minimize to tray removed? i dont want the music in front when working and accidentily stop the music whenever i want a clean desktop - **bleep**e.

also what happened to normilaztion level settings? is it now always normalized? or always off?

new inteface is bad.

Most of the applications related with music have this option available, if removing it is due to a marketing plan definitely it should be reconsidered since it seems to be impacting user experience in a negative way, it is not pushing users to go premium or even worse, cancel current subscriptions.

in summary; bad marketing decision; less premium subscriptions.

Yeah cutting the normalization options was a bad idea too.

Stop pursuing this Apple-style worship of simplistic over-rationalisation.

Double post due to weird post error. 

Why was this function removed? It isn't just Windows 8, it's every windows version. My job requires me to have several programs open at once which fills up my taskbar. I do not have multimedia keys, so having to constantly bring up the program just to access it takes up more monitor space than I want. Not everyone is a casual desktop user!

Additional befuddlement over the removal of minimize-to-tray functionality.

Also, the update re-enabled automatic start with Windows of its own volition. tsk-tsk.

Additional information: Windows 7 x64 v1.0.1

Yeah, this "form over function" approach is extremely stupid. Please bring back minimize to tray. As someone pointed out, it's a function that  the good old players had (like winamp), and many of us have used since the 90's. It's really frustrating when I hit X to minimize spotify to tray (instead of taskbar), but it just closes and my music stops. I'd rather cancel my subscription than change my habits.

Disappointing

Without this option, Spotify on desktop is unusable.

Person who is responsible for this change probably never listened to music on desktop PC.

If this is not be repaired in the next version, I cancel my subscription.

• Confirmed RBTray is a no go on Windows 8 : (

RBTray works just fine in Windows 8. I'm using it right now.

Still I'd like that native feature back on spotify.

I love how people overreact on this...
You should put things a bit in perspective IMHO...
Is the fact that this feature disapeared boring ? When we're used to, it really is !

Does this makes the whole spotify experience useless and horrible to the point you think it's a big enough reason to threaten (lol) spotify to unsubscribe ?

Well... if it does, i think you forgot the basic purpose of spotify which *drum rolls* :
"listen unlimited music for a darn low price !"

Still, i also find it annoying to close spotify accidentally instead of hidding it to traybar...
I clearly won't stop my subscription and go back to download/streaming just because of that though.

this is not about old mp3 music players, it is about the competition spotify has against other unlimited streaming music player, some of them are for free.

This is an annoying and unexplained removal of a handy feature. I use Spotify on my desktop at work, where my taskbar is usually overcrowded, and because Spotify will be one more item on there, I don't think I will be so inclined to use it.

They've removed quite afew features, Which screams a half assed release.

If you are going to release an upgraded version. Atleast have features that are used often as essentials finished and in.

Is there a way to downgrade, because right now i need the system tray minimisation back so i stop cutting off my music by closing spotify. I also need the ability to search my playlists by typing in the start of the artist/song name depending on my sorting. These features are simple yet have been around for donkeys years and not hard to implement from a programming standpoint ( i do program). Do bring them back ASAP and stop messing around with your users.

@ModalInc wrote:

Is there a way to downgrade, because right now i need the system tray minimisation back so i stop cutting off my music by closing spotify.

There sure is: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Tutorial-stop-auto-update-and-use-old-cl...

Follow the steps there (PC only), and you'll be back to the previous, better version of Spotify in no time. To get the last version that worked well (with minimizing to tray, filtering local files, etc.) Google 'Spotify 0.9.15.27 Filehippo' and download after you've carried out the steps in that tutorial.

Thankyou for that, worked a treat.

Perhaps they removed the "hide in the tray" feature because if you "hide it in the tray" you'll never see neither the advertising banners nor the advertising video in the app main page.

@edgarcostanzo wrote:

Perhaps they removed the "hide in the tray" feature because if you "hide it in the tray" you'll never see neither the advertising banners nor the advertising video in the app main page.

Arguably this is still the case even if you've minimised it to the taskbar instead of the system tray; and non-paying subscribers would still hear the audio adverts. That, I'm pretty sure, is the entire point of an audio service. I think it's far more likely that they've gone mobile-first with this latest release and simply figured that desktop users were'nt really worth very much attention.

Regardless, Premium subscribers (like me, for the moment) don't get adverts, so it's just another thing taking up more of my taskbar when it should simply sit in the background and play music.

Suggested posts