Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

A slight followup - I can't save on either desktop on mobile, but on mobile it looks like it saves and stays saved in the list for a short while, but after a certain amount of time it disappears. This is an even worse user experience - unlike desktop, I wouldn't even realise things had been saved.

Fortunately the Starred list still doesn't have a limit, at least for now, so back to using that, even if it's now less convenient.

As everyone here, I'm really disappointed with this limit in a feature I was really looking forward. I found a possibly explanation of this issue, but I still think Spotify has to make "Your Music" unlimited or at least increase quickly this limit. 

http://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-collection-featured-in-Spotify-have-a-limit-of-10k-tracks-while-Rdio...

I guess this is a limit discussed alot at the Spotify office before the release since more entries in users lists = more database entires = more disk space/bandwith allocated = higher costs but I still find it strange that there's a limit. Spotify has become my main tool for listening and discovering music, and I know that I'm not alone. What I've missed is a good feature to replace my old school library of TBs of locally stored music and I thought that this actually was the first step away from that. I hope that they do something about this, I understand if they don't, but it will be a great disapointment to leave Spotify for something stupid like this, a feature that I didn't event knew I really wanted a few weeks back but now can't be without, technology in a nutshell ❤️

I absolutely love spotify. Even if it limits you to 10,000 songs **bleep**ing delete a few man there's no way you're listening to 10,000 songs. Find something you like and play it out and move on to something to new. If you listen to the same **bleep** over and over you'll never grow musically. And as far as competitors for spotify.... I see none. Spotify has got the music listening game on lock.

It's obvious you never have built a huge collection of music on any medium, Rob. I listen to them constantly and have over 40,000 songs on iTunes covering all genres and I'm always looking for new music to challenge and enlighten me.. I also have a great deal of new music that I've saved on Spotify and want to access all that I can via this platform. I paid premium so I'd be able to.

I can plow through 700 a week at work if I'm doing some intense data work, so 10,000 songs aren't a blip for me in the long run.

Don't tell me what my collection is, how to manage it, how to use it, how often I play them. I consume a lot of music and always want new music as well.

For the music junkies, Spotify needs to fix this, now!

I was just adding my CDs standing around on the other side of the room ... and grmbl...

.... I also just hit the limit .... very very annoying.... more space in my room than on a virtual shelf .... guess that means not using Your music anymore ... btw I know lots of people owning easily more than a thousand records and cds....

Hope this gets resolved soon...

btw I only have 9792 Songs and saving stopped working....

My only solution so far is to make a playlist for each artist and use the Your Music as a my fave's kind of deal.  I am nearing my tolerance and about to check out some competitors...I can get 3 months of Beats free through AT&T or go back to Google Play.

I wondered what was happening. I can click "Save" on an album and it flashes to "Saved" and changes back quickly. I'm still able to add a track if it's currently playing but it will disappear from My Music after a while.

I understand the technical limitations, but the impression one gets from My Music is that it's supposed to represent everything you've "liked" on Spotify. I've been using this app for 3 weeks, and I've already hit the limit. That's unacceptable. That's unbelievable.

I love Spotify. I love a lot of the features. I was seriously pumped about subscribing to Premium for a while. But there are just some glaring in-your-face UI/UX and design issues and limitations that make it so frustrating that I'm considering dumping Spotify altogether and investigating competitors. I can't believe how badly some of this stuff is done.

Guys, please investigate using a Graph Database for this. Old school RDBMSs just aren't going to cut it.

Having different content in the albums and songs tabs could be confusing but I probably could live with that.  I never look at songs anyway because its just a big unfiltered list (like choosing music from a Excel chart).   The nice thing about the Artist and Album tabs is the way they let you browse your collection in a visual way.  To me thats the whole point of My Music, its like thumbing through CD's on a shelf to see what peaks your interest.

It sort of highlights the difference between music lovers and engineers doesn't? .  Every excuse I've seen given for this 10K song limitation (which Rdio, Beats and Google don't have so clearly its not impossible to get around) has been along the limes of well you are just a fringe case and we don't really design for fringe cases so tough luck.  But when you add complete albums to your collection its really not hard at all to hit the wall.  10k songs can easily be just 400-500 albums.  So Spotify gives us this great new feature and then essentailly tells us not to use it so much.

A developer from Spotify explains the limit here.  

"Save Springsteen, Dylan, Stones, Counting Crows, and Tom Waits...there is 10% of your limit and that is five artists..."

Exactly.   This really highlights the difference between music lovers who want to hear complete albums from their favorite artists and casual music listeners who only listen to a couple of playlists of tracks on shuffle.   Spotify needs more of the former to be ionvolved in the decision making process because people who dismissively say "who needs more than 10,000 songs anyway?" don't get how music lovers think about music.

@yarique wrote:

Save Springsteen, Dylan, Stones, Counting Crows, and Tom Waits...there is 10% of your limit and that is five artists...l

Actually I did a quick count and just adding all of Tom Waits and The Rolling Stones' albums will put you at about 1000 songs.  It would so easy to reach this limit with only 20 artists in one's collection.  This has really not been thought out very well at all.  It sounds like an accountant made this decision, not a music lover.

Whether or not there is anything 'technically hard' about doing more than 10,000 is irrelevent.  I am a software developer, let me tell you, it can be done and is done.  How does iTunes handle large libraries?  They have an interface too.  They show all those songs you have in your library.  It can be done.  The spotify engineers just decided it was too hard and didn't do it.  It won't change either.  We are all better off with Rdio (aside from being able to upload our own songs) or using Google Play Music.  The new beautiful design and features are pointless when you put limits on them.  Spotify is basically saying you cant shufle more than 10,000 songs and that it is too hard to allow you to shuffle more than that.  Which is garbage from an engineering standpoint.  If the problem is testing adding more than 10,000 songs AT A TIME then don't allow users to save more than 10,000 at a time!  Good grief.  It can be done with proper planning and motivation to be the best music platform.  They obiviously don't have any of those aspirations.

Clearly it can be done. In fact it HAD already been done. The "Starred" list worked perfectly with many tracks. If it had been tweaked a bit with some new view modes (including mode with album art, and modes to show either single tracks or complete albums) , it would have worked perfectly as a "Collection" type function. There was no need to reinvent the wheel a second time, and doing it much worse this time.

At the very least, it seems like better integration of local files would help the cause here. I don't feel that a users' local files should count toward this absurd 10K limit.  If I was able to sync my local files with the matching catalog track, then I'd have an easier time staying under the 10K limit of tracks that I want Spotify to keep handy that I don't personally own.  This seems like a fair trade between the 'casual' music listener and the more avid music fans that are commenting in this thread. As it is, I ran into my 10K limit about 2/3rds of the way through Dylan's discography.  

I realize that Spotify isn't a music store in the way that Google Play and iTunes are, but both of them offer a matching service along with their streaming services, and at this point Spotify doesn't handle local files very well.  Why are local files kept separate from the Songs, Albums, and Artist section of 'Your Music'?  With these newer changes, how did they overlook the ability to sync all of your local files with their catalog and 'match' tracks to instantly create a library of 'saved' tracks and albums from the users own personal collection?? I'm not even talking about cloud storage or backup, but simply saving users the time to find all of the albums they already own (something that I was several hours into until i discovered this cap) and 'save' them to their main spotify library that would merge local files and tracks saved for streaming into one seamless library?  I feel like it did a better job of this before the update with the Starred system, although in every other way I'm liking the new system better.

I can only assume that maybe it has something to do with the revenue that goes to the artists, and not wanting to pay out artists for streaming songs that a user has locally but is using Spotify to stream.  However, I'd speculate that most users are already doing this anyway, and are streaming music they technically own just because it's easier to open spotify and play it than to keep the file handy through another application, or add it to a playlist and then download it for offline listening.

As it is, I think it's time to give the Google free trail a go and see if they can win me over. I know the interface isn't as good, but the ability to stream anything I want and save it with no limits, plus match all of my local files that they have in their catalogue (although I'm aware this can be quite buggy and inconsistent without putting a lot of time into it), plus cloud storage for 20K files that they don't have (which should account for my rare songs, live recordings, indie albums bought from bandcamp, etc.) plus the fact that they appear to pay out nearly 9x as much as Spotify to artists per stream all for the same price makes for a compelling alternative at this point.

This is so **bleep**ing retarded! What a crappy **bleep**ing joke of an upgrade Your Music has been so far. What's the point of saving albums if I can't save all of my favorite albums?

I can understand the 10,000 limit on a playlist...who is going to listen to that many songs in a session?  But in a collection 10,000 is a joke.

This has just happened to me. Although I didn't even know there was a limit. I sat up half the nite saving albums only to see the next day they weren't there.
My phone app didn't tell me other wise.

Nightmare.

So there's a. 10000 song limit.

The stupid thing about this is we can only play 1 song at a time so what's the point??
Saving albums just makes our collections more accessible.

Rossgroves schrieb:
The stupid thing about this is we can only play 1 song at a time so what's the point??
Saving albums just makes our collections more accessible.

No, if you have saved all songs from an album automatically by saving the whole album, you can play all songs in Your Music either one after the other or in shuffle mode which gives an interesting library radio in my opinion, as Spotify has improved their shuffle mode lately with hardly any repetition.

I am also another user who is extremely frustrated by this recent discovery.

They should rename the feature: "Some of Your Music" or "Your Music (but not all of it)"

In the Quora thread addressing this issue, I loved the Rdio engineer's response to the Spotify developer's original answer.

Why does a collection featured in Spotify have a limit of 10k tracks, while Rdio has an unlimited amount of tracks?

Todd Berman, Former CTO of Rdio

At Rdio, our collections are boundless, as the implementation demands of showing/storing a reasonable sized collection (60K tracks) require you to handle all the concerns you would need to handle a collection that contains all the tracks in the system. The engineering work is fairly trivial to do if done properly.

http://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-collection-featured-in-Spotify-have-a-limit-of-10k-tracks-while-Rdio...

Get it together Spotify - by limiting the Your Music feature to 10,000 songs, you're negating its utility. Now that I have reached the limit, I will have to just go back to adding albums I want to revisit to new individual playlists - which is the exact problem Your Music was designed to fix in the first place.

Let's up that measly limit to 100,000 for starters, shall we?

Suggested posts