Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Edit primary user name after upgrade to family plan

I just upgraded from Premium to the Family Plan.  I went to the screen that allows me to send an invitation to a family member and after clicking it, I was asked to confirm the name and address.  Silly me -- despite appearances to the contrary it was asking for MY name and address, not my wife's.  I want to change the name back to mine as the primary user, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to do that!  Any help appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Gronk775,

It’s not possible to change the address registered on an existing Premium for Family subscription. 

If you move, or enter the wrong details, you need to create a new account and subscribe to Premium for Family on that account. Don’t forget to cancel the subscription on your old account 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Gronk775,

It’s not possible to change the address registered on an existing Premium for Family subscription. 

If you move, or enter the wrong details, you need to create a new account and subscribe to Premium for Family on that account. Don’t forget to cancel the subscription on your old account 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate your sharing this information.  I know that you are in no way responsible for this process, but I can't help but say that this is extremely silly.  If I have a magazine subscription, I just change my address for the subscription.  Likewise for just about anything else I subscribe to on the web.  So, this seems... braindead.  Maybe I'll just "forget" to resubscribe when I move.  

Thanks again.

Yes. Same issue here. I did not notice until today since I rarely log in to my account (I just use Mac and iOS apps and never log out). It is EXTREMELY SILLY  and annoying. And since at least two of us did this, I imagine it is because of bad design. So in my mind, this is all on Spotify. I have sent them a message and will see how they respond.

I did it too. All I want to do is edit the name, not address, as I too put my husband's name in thinking I was adding him to my account. Agreed, very sloppy on Spotify's part. I am not going to cancel and repopen a completely separate acount over this. 

+1 for poor user experience and planning, as I did exactly the same thing. The wording is incorrect for the user action. Then not having the ability to change the name or the address without losing the account and signing up again.

Totally agree that is poor user design, I did the exact same thing. If I cancel, do I get  a refund since its only been a day? And what happens to my playlists if I closed the account, I'm to start all over again? Very bad....

You can cancel and send a refund request with an explaination. I got mine processed within an hour - it was insanely quick I didn't expect to hear ads again so soon! haha.

If you had playlists on the primary account, then yes, they will be lost. But if you create a new account to do the family thing correctly, you could share the playlists between the accounts so your new account could use it too. Or just recreate them, depending on how many and how complex.

For how good Spotify is, there are so many annoying things that shouldn't be so difficult. *sigh*

I have exactly the same problem. Because of the confusing instructions I entered my wife's name (person I wanted to invite) instead of my name (family plan owner) when I upgraded to the family plan.  I want to change it to my name. Obviously I am not alone. Spotify needs to change this but based on past history they are tone deaf when it comes to making changes like this.

Same here. 

Suggested posts