Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

@allanmoon wrote:

Thanks for your help Stupify.

I'd read that could help in anpther forum but this still doesn't solve the problem for me.

They stil appear as Unknown User  and I get the Load user error across the top.

Do other friends need to be Premium accounts for me to add or should I be able to add anyone?

You should be able to easily search for anyone who has a Spotify username using: spotify:user:username. 

It becomes a little bit more messy when Facebook account are involved as their account/username you need to search for will be a string of numbers. The easiest way to find your friends who have Facebook is from the "People" tab.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi,

I know I should be able to search for people using spotify:user:username but unfortunately I can't and that's the problem.

As I stated, when I try this I can see the individuals playlists and top tracks and can even subscribe to their playlists. What I can't do is add. Although I can see their playlists and their top tracks, their profile picture is blank and it says Unknown user next to it. There is also a pinkish banner across the top of the screen under the search bar that says 'Load user error'.

I have been able to search for other users using spotify:user:username and they appear ok and I have the option to add them...I just can't appear able to add the friends I want to. 

Is it possible there is something they're not doing with their accounts? They use their accounts fine now and I can see their playlists..I'm just unable to add them.

Anyone else experienced the 'load user error' and managed to solve it?

Has anyone else been able to solve?  My daughter has a spotify act w/out a facebook login... I have one with a FB login.  I can search for 'people' and find all my FB friends no problem.  When I'm logged in as her, and do a spotify: user: #### search with my ID, it does not find it and comes up with the pink bar at the top - Load user error.  -

WAIT.. I just re-did it and I bet the other user was having the same problem as I...

Text for search should be:  spotify:user:####### - do NOT put any spaces after the colon's.  Otherwise you get the error!  So for the person having trouble - take the spaces out after the colon!!  Hope it works for you!

Thanks for your help ChristmasTree87 but I haven't been putting spaces after the :'s.

I've now logged in using my facebook details (which I didn't want to do as I no longer use the account) and it's fixed the problem.

I just got a spotify without facebook and want to add a friend who does! how does that work?

If your friend signed up without Facebook too, just type "spotify:user:USERNAME" on the search bar and the profile for that username should appear to you! There should be a yellow bar at the top telling you to add the person to follow their activity. Click add.

If your friend signed up with Facebook, it's a bit more complicated because a Facebook signup gets assigned a username which is a bunch of numbers. This also has the nasty side effect of never being unable to disconnect from Facebook, ever. The easiest way to add them is for your friend to right click their name on their profile, choose "Copy HTTP Link" and then give the link to you.

spoti.jpg

A noteworthy addition to this solution is that if you want to use this trick on your ipad, typing this in the search box will not work.

If you open safari and type spotify:user:username and hit enter, it takes you to the spotify client and opens the user correctly.

This syntax thing is crap UX. Seriously, it's dire.

I've never understood why you have to type "spotify:" first.  What else would you be searching in the spotify search box?

It's a terrible user experience.  Apparently poorly thought out and obviously poorly implemented.

We need to be able to easily share with people friends regardless of whether or not they used Facebook to sign up.

They've already fixed all the problems detailed in this thread with their newest version (0.8.8), but for some dumb reason they're not updating everyone to the latest version. It's taking way too long for the 0.8.8 update to come out.

I haven't got the new version yet so I don't know if they've really fixed all this, but what I'm hearing is that is the case.

I am having trouble with this.  I am entering spotify:user:"username" and it is providing an error message.  I am not logged in through facebook and am searching for others...

Hi jaredsb10 - Which version of the app are you using?

Can you let me know exactly what error message you're receiving?

I have been watching this thread as I am expereincing the same problem. I signed up via Facebook (premium account); my friend signed without facebook (premium account). When I go to tray and add him with the following syntax:

spotify:user:andrew855

I get the load user error. 

I am using the PC desktop client .

Is there another way to add?

@drzaius wrote:

I have been watching this thread as I am expereincing the same problem. I signed up via Facebook (premium account); my friend signed without facebook (premium account). When I go to tray and add him with the following syntax:

spotify:user:andrew855

I get the load user error. 

I am using the PC desktop client .

Is there another way to add?

I can confirm I am also unable to load that profile page. 

I'm on the latest 0.8.8 client and it just loads a blank profile page. I do however have the option to follow/friend him, so the account does exist. Does you friend have Spotify social enabled in the desktop application?

Peter

Peter

I also get the load user error message after putting in spotify:user:username

Why does it have to be so hard to add and find someone?

yeah, i have been experiencing the same problem when trying to add a friend (I'm not on FB). Is there a way to find the ID number??? 

@bjf9 wrote:

yeah, i have been experiencing the same problem when trying to add a friend (I'm not on FB). Is there a way to find the ID number??? 

The easiest way, if you have a spotify username, is to get your friend to send you a track. You can then access their profile and save them as a favourite by clicking their profile id in your inbox.

Peter

Peter

It appears to be random - I can find some people by username and not others.

One of the best things about Spotify used to be ease of sharing - enter name, press 'send', done.

Please sort it out!

Suggested posts