Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify ICS App, Beta app out now, download instructions here

Finally, the wait is over! Spotify has released a beta app for ICS that hopefully fixes all our problems.

If you want to have it now on your phone, do the following:

- Go into your phone's settings, and click on 'Security' > scroll down and switch on 'Unknown Sources'

- Open your phone's browser and surf to 'www.spotify.com/blog

- Depending on the country you're in, the first post will be about the new beta app. If you don't see it, switch your country (below on the webpage) to Switzerland (German) (I assume it will be posted to all the other blogs later today). You will then see a big green button that says 'Herunterladen'. Press it, and it will start installing the new app on your phone.

If you want to download the apk directly, use this link: http://download.spotify.com/android/PreviewSpotifyAndroid.apk

EDIT: In another topic, a moderator posted the following link, where you can also find the big green button, without having to go through the blog:  http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

Post any questions here, and the community will help you out.

Enjoy!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Missing widget is reported here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/quot-Official-quot-new-application-beta-release-missi...

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@catorr wrote:

Really great job on the app guys. Just a few things I feel it would make this app even more awesome. 

First couple are on the stickied missing features and wishlist thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/quot-Official-quot-new-application-beta-release-missi...

The issue with being stuck on the now playing screen I raised also, along with a few others: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-app-glitches-on-returning-to-app/td-p/47103

----------------

Marked as solution

Looks good, much better than the very grey look the Android app has. This is much brighter, just what I was missing. Hope for more colours in the finished version. I would very much like to be able to choose between some various colour schemes.

Cat Happy

Marked as solution

It's starting to like me, but I'd really like to find the option to add a whole Album to my starred music " they lack that boys.!!

I'd like to hear if it's possible to have in the future.

Cheers and keep improving Spotify! 

Leo

98 Replies

I've installed the App, now the old shortcut no longer works,

How do i access the new installation??

@YaaBooty Open your app drawer (the round button in the middle below on your homepage), the app should be there. Then long press it and release it anywhere you want the shortcut to be.

This is great! Looks really cool, and snappy as ever.

Only one thing.. With every new release I'm hoping for subfolders, just like the iOS version has. Will this come to Android soon?

Yea I like the update, looks pretty sweet but there is no way to fully exit the app so I can see..in previous app you go to the main 'home' page and hit menu buttoin then exit spotify. I used this regularly, now gone which mean spotify will run in the background?

@YaaBooty wrote:

I've installed the App, now the old shortcut no longer works,

How do i access the new installation??

You can readd the shortcut to your home screen

That doesn't work as a solution on my HTC Desire. It's completely inaccessible.

Rebooted phone and app now works from system application menu 🙂

Looks good. Mine was working (albeit somewhat glitchy) with ICS on my GS2, but the new version seems more reliable initially.

Some questions:

1) I notice there are now "Normal", "High" and "Extreme" quality options for downloading offline music on the phone. I haven't noticed these before, what are the bitrates?

2) The desktop widget has gone - can we have it back...?  😛

3) My app seems to be automatically downloading the music to my SD card, which is good, that's what I want it to do. However, I can't find anywhere an option to chose the download destination. I'm not sure if it's downloading to my microSD card because it's worked out that's the right place (it's a little confusing on the S2, the internal memory is labeled as "sdcard" and the actual SD card is labeled "external_sd"...) or because that's where the app was previously pointed. It used to be a case of logging out, pressing the menu key and the option to chose the download destination would pop up. Where's the option now?

In any case, thanks for finally updating Android guys!  🙂

App is looking really good. But there are some things I don't like:

- no local file import? at least i couldn't find it

- no exit button 

- playlists somehow don't sync at all (HTC Desire with GB 2.3.7)

@matze if you longpress a playlist, the option 'download' will come up, that will make your playlist local

I don't have the problem with the playlist syncing, if I add one in my desktop app it pops up immediately on my phone, and if I remove it, it also dissappears immediately.

Has anyone else got the lockscreen widget:

2012-04-19_11-24-50.png

This is on a One X so running Sense. Does the lockscreen widget appear for stock/other ROMs?

----------------

I guess I wasn't really clear:

With local file import I mean import of local mp3 files, which are already on the sd-card of my phone.

And I also meant that downloading of playlists doesn't work. It's always stuck at 0%,

@matze Ah, weird, don't have that problem, with the downloading of playlists. Wouldn't know about the local mp3 files on phone. I have downloaded local files from my pc already, that does work.

@licenced no, haven't gotten that on my phone (Google Nexus S, Android 4.0.4)

@Matze wrote:

I guess I wasn't really clear:

With local file import I mean import of local mp3 files, which are already on the sd-card of my phone.

Yeah, local files not showing up any more - just playlists

----------------

@Rankhar wrote:

@licenced no, haven't gotten that on my phone (Google Nexus S, Android 4.0.4)

Ah, OK. My guess is that the Spotify app is now tied in with the stock Android music playing API ... for which HTC have developed the lockscreen widget themslves. So this is not something provided by Spotify.

It's not quite integrated enough to show up as a music player in a third party scrobbling app for last.fm though

----------------

BTW, just read on the blog/preview thing that features that are yet to be added before it is going live in Google Play are Folders and Last FM scrobbling. 

As a follow up to my last post, I've done a bit more fiddling and the app ISN'T downloading to my external SD card

This is a problem, as I only have limited internal storage...

Although the app appears to work well otherwise, this is a fairly big ommision - unless someone can tell me how you're meant to set the download location using the new app please...?

This is a very delicate matter for me too. I've got 32 GB of a class 10 micro-SD where I want to put all offline tracks. My phone's internal memory is NOT enough. In the old version you were able to press menu at the login prompt and specify where you want to store your offline tracks. Please put it back!

Regarding lockscreen, i think they need to use this.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/RemoteControlClient.html

Edit: And thew seem to use it. Cleared app-cache and now it is visible.

Suggested posts