Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Scrobbling / Last.fm support using Chromecast Audio

I would love to get a Chromecast Audio, but I really enjoy tracking my songs via Last.fm. Will the songs you listen to be scrobbled (i.e. submitted to last.fm) when you are streaming or casting via the Chromecast Audio? And if not, are there any workarounds to achieve this? 

I have searched online, but so far I haven't been able to find an answer. 

EDIT (14 Aug 2017): There seems to be a solution, discussed here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Scrobbling-Last-fm-support-using-Chromecast-Audio/m-p/18291...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It should work with the new Spotify Scrobbling (Beta) method by Last.fm which is account-related, not app-related and can be enabled in your Applications settings. See my posting here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Spotify-Scrobbling-Beta-Last-fm-Suppo...

And also the official announcement thread on the Last.fm support forum:

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/spotify-scrobbling-beta

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

peterpixel schrieb:

@Bramvh this Last.fm post explains it: https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/spotify-scrobbling-beta

That's right, this is the official announcement which I also mentioned in my posting. Apparently it is hidden somehow, because I can still see it, maybe Spotify Community thinks it's spam. They are having problems with spam robot attacks recently.

Anyhow, the new Spotify Scrobbling (Beta) feature on Last.fm is supposed to work with all devices where you can use a Spotify app like Xbox, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Bose SoundTouch, Gramofon, other Spotify Connect devices, Spotify web player in all browsers etc., and you can enable it on your Applications settings page in your Last.fm profile. Don't forget to disable the internal Spotify scrobbling if available, because you may get duplicate scrobbles when switching devices. And caching offline scrobbles is not supported, so if you lose your internet connection, the scrobbles are lost, too.

@Bramvh: Thanks again for testing it on your Chromecast and other devices.

Marked as solution

Now Last.fm have a server side scrobbling meaning from any Spotify Connect device without any logins, cheers: https://www.reddit.com/r/lastfm/comments/7ywer5/you_can_now_link_your_spotify_account_directly_to/

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

70 Replies

Yes, it also doesn't work if you play from PS4, so I believe anytime when you use other device, scrobbling is not working. Some day, they will (hopefully) enable scrobbling when using different devices.

For now, simple fix is to use an Android device and install the app "Simple Scrobbler". It handles many music apps including Spotify. Install, log in to Last.fm and it will scrobble your music. Unfortunately, I haven't found any working app for iOS that would scrobble to Last.fm like Simple Scrobbler on Android.

Thanks for the tip. Simple Scrobbler, however, says it supports Spotify on my Android, but it doesn't recognise it as a media player/app and therefore it does not scrobble. Frustrating!

• Now Chromecast support to Spotify directly, i have the same request about the songs that you are casting via Chromecast. I can't scrobble with Last.fm.

The fact that Last.fm scrobling via Chromecast is not available simply sucks.
If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

Please add last.fm support for Chromecast!

If you are on Android OS here is how to work around this missing feature and the "not supported scrobling if you are offline" also.

• Go to the Spotify app setting and disable scrobling to Last.fm
  • Go to the Play Store and download, install and enter your Last.fm credential in the "Simple Last.fm Scrobbler"
  • That is all

This simple application will listen to any (not only Spotify) media player on your Android device and scrobble what you have listen to to your Last.fm account no matter if you are casting to Chromecast etc. As mentioned above this application will work even if you toggle "offline mode" in the Spotify app. This has never been supproted by the Spotify app scrobbling which also sucks. Hope this helps you guys.

This doesn't work

Since I changed jobs I'm no longer sitting in the train for hours, and mostly listen to Spotify via laptop & chromecast audio. That's hours of unscrobbled music!

Please add support for this!

Rdio could scrobble from chromecast. It isn't like our plays aren't being recorded by Spotify - there's no reason for this not to be supported when Spotify has touted its partnership with last.fm.

This shouldn't be marked as solved when there's no working solution

I tried different settings and scrobbling works when using official last.fm scrobbler.  But it drops some songs.  I just finished listening to an album and the 3rd and the last song are missing from my last.fm account.  

It the Simple Last.fm Scrobbler different?  Does it work better?  I'll try it but I wanted to know if anybody compared the official scrobbler vs the other one?

This so called solution doesn't work. I've tried 3 different scrobblers on android and none of them scrobbled a single song, no matter connected to chromecast or not. 

A perfect way to solve this would be Last.fm integration at the source, i.e.: via your main settings in spotify (https://www.spotify.com/account/) similar to what rdio did - when it still exisited - or how deezer currently does it: 

Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 12.28.04.png

You would not need to setup last.fm on every device and scrobbling would be enabled for all devices / hardware. 

Simple Last FM Scrobbler seems to work for me now.  

I tested different configurations with the official Scrobbler from Last.fm and with Simple Last FM Scrobbler and also with the setting within Spotify and found something that works (for now).

I'v listened to more than 30 songs on my Chromecast on monday.  It did not scrobble immediately but when I opened Simple Last FM Scrobbler they were all into cache  ( Open the app and goto "View Scrobble Cache" ).

I took a while to eventually be sent to last.fm.  Not sure why but it happens once in a while with that scrobbler.  I prefer that than no Scrobbles at all!  And it does not miss 1 or 2 songs per album like the official scrobble (and no scrobbles at all when connected to Chromecast).

Here's my current setup:

Simple Last.fm Scrobbler

- Spotify listed in "Enabled apps" screen

Scrobbling "off" within Spotify

I'm constantly checking on my last.fm profile and for now, this scrobbler didn't fail me.

Android based options aren't the answer here, if you turn your Android device off the Spotify feed continues to play - as designed the Spotify feed to the Chromecast is entirely independent of  the Android device - you can turn off your Android device  and the music continues to play or have multiple devices controlling the one feed. So as above the Last.fm control needs to move to the Spotify main server, let's face it the requirement to enter your credentials into every Spotify client is pretty annoying in the first place.

My Vizio smart TV has Spotify built into it but there's no option to Last.fm scrobble. I also have Chromecast and Spotify looks great but the songs don't scrobble.

Doesn't work. If this isn't fix soon I will leave Spotify.

Im glad that im not the only nerd who wants this to work 🙂
Simple last fm scrobbler doesnt recognize the spotify app in my case, so this so called solution to this problem works only if youre lucky - In this thread 2 people out of 15?! Thats not a solution...
Fix it, pls! I like spotify and i dont want to change my musicprovider because of this...

Why this is marked as solved? The Simple Last.fm Scrobbler is an alternative, but is not enough. We want a native solution. From Spotify.

Suggested posts