Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Control volume on second device (Spotify Connect)

I'm not able to control volume on second device, according to thread below it should be possible?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Control-Volume-via-Spotify-Connect/idi-p/878921?noboun...

Device: Nexus 5
Second: Galaxy Nexus

Both running Spotify version 1.5.0.739

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

My life's too short to wait for the **bleep**tards at Spotify to fix their **bleep** app. I can see people are still commenting on this issue, so it's obviously important to us users.

For what it's worth:  My solution was to buy a ChromeCast Audio.  It's relatively cheap and it Just Works.

This is the closest to a working solution as it gets.

View solution in original post

63 Replies

Are you a premium user? Spotify Connect is a feature for premium users only.

Yepp, premium since ever.. And Connect is working otherwise.

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Have you already to tried to logout and login afterwards? Sometimes something simple as this already fixes the problem.

Otherwise, you may try to fix this issue by reinstalling Spotify at your Android device.

To reinstall Spotify on Android, please follow all the steps correctly as given in this topic.

I think it depends on the device. My iOS devices can remotely control the volume of a connect enabled speaker but not the volume on other iOS devices.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes, that's what I think as well. I just tried it with my iPhone and Nexus 7 (tablet) with the result:

iPhone can't change volume of Nexus.

Nexus can change volume of iPhone.

I tried the volume buttons and was looking for a volume button in the corner down right but there was none.

So It's a mystery which devices can control the volume and which not..

@MichaelW thanks! Tried reinstalling (following guide) both devices, no success.. Can even control PC Spotify (running beta).. Dunno what's up with second Android (rooted, running Cyanogen 11-20140925) device tho 😞

As I said before I'm able to control device a with b but not vice versa. Did you try to control both devices or just one way (a with b and not b with a)?

Can control tracks both ways but not volume any way (but to pc)

Can control volume:
Nexus 5 - > pc
Galaxy Nexus - > pc
Pc

Can't control volume:
Nexus 5 -> Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Nexus -> Nexus 5
Pc - > Nexus 5
Pc - > Galaxy Nexus
Pc - > Nexus 5\Galaxy Nexus (don't think this is implemented yet)

This frekkin edit box is so small on mobile devices are nd no edits efter submit 😞
Sorry for repeats and stuff..

Hello,

same issue here.

Cannot control volume on Connect with Galaxy Note S4 mini > Galaxy Note 10.1 and vice versa.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm also having trouble with the volume on Spotify Connect. I can only adjust the volume from my Motorola Moto G (android) --> Laptop (with Spotify Beta with Spotify Connect support). Everything else is not working:

Moto G --> Laptop: working

Laptop --> Moto G: not working

Laptop --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Laptop: not working

Moto G --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Moto G: not working

Until today I didn't even know volume controle on Spotify Connect was possible, so it's great Spotify is working on this! Is there any way we can help (testing etc.) to make it work on every device? Is it known why it works on some devices, and don't on other devices?

By the way, I'm using Spotify Premium and have reinstalled Spotify like mentioned.

Check out my blog about a cheap way to build yourself a dedicated Spotify Connect Server.
http://dedicatedspotifyserver.wordpress.com/

@michel123 wrote:

Hi, I'm also having trouble with the volume on Spotify Connect. I can only adjust the volume from my Motorola Moto G (android) --> Laptop (with Spotify Beta with Spotify Connect support). Everything else is not working:

Moto G --> Laptop: working

Laptop --> Moto G: not working

Laptop --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Laptop: not working

Moto G --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Moto G: not working

Until today I didn't even know volume controle on Spotify Connect was possible, so it's great Spotify is working on this! Is there any way we can help (testing etc.) to make it work on every device? Is it known why it works on some devices, and don't on other devices?

By the way, I'm using Spotify Premium and have reinstalled Spotify like mentioned.

Hi,

I'd be tempted to suggest the below:

Moto G --> Laptop: working - Correct, connect for Android allows the controlling of or receiving of commands from devices that are connect enabled.

Laptop --> Moto G: not working - This may be because although the architecture for controlling other connect devices is enabled in the PC app. It may not yet be active on your account, so you can control the PC but until activated on your account you cannot yet use the PC to control other devices.

Laptop --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working - Android mini PC is not connect enabled AFAIK

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Laptop: not working - As above

Moto G --> Android Mini PC MK808II: not working - As above

Android Mini PC MK808II --> Moto G: not working - As above

Although... good scenario's. Maybe give support a shout and see if they can check if connect is fully enabled on your account for desktop.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi Daniel, thanks for your quick reply! I will write support to see if they can check the Spotify Connect status in my account, I didn't know that is has to be enabled in the account. I do hope it will be working on the Android Mini PC sometime, because I use that as device connected to my AV Receiver. Thanks again!

Check out my blog about a cheap way to build yourself a dedicated Spotify Connect Server.

Hi Daniel, I have contacted Spotify Support, got a quick reply (which is nice!), but they said it hasn't to do with account-settings, but they offered no other solution though. They just say it has to work, but it doesn't. 

I noticed that the Spotify Desktop Beta app has changed a little bit, you can now see the volume of the other device on the right side of the Connect icon. I can change the volume only when playing on my laptop though, not on other devices (android). But it seems they are working on it, I hope 😉 Volume control is the one thing I'm still missing in Spotify Connect....

Update: I've got a response from the support team, they are investigating the problem, I will hear soon from them. 

Is there meanwhilst a solution for this problem. I still run into the problem that i cannot control the volume of other android devices on connect. So from Android -> PC i can control volume but from Android -> Android there is no volume control and also from PC -> Android there is no volume control. Tested with: Samsung Galaxy TAB 3, NEXUS 5, NEXUS 7, Samsumg Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S4.

Whenever you go to the connect screen the volume bar dissapears when an Android device is beïng controlled, also the volume buttons on the controlling device do not function.

Hi Basgoossen, 

I've got a second reply from Spotify Support. They confirm that volume controle from mobile to mobile doesn't work. They don't know if this function will be implemented in the future. 

It would be great if this function will be implemented, because it would complete Spotify Connect! The only thing we can do is support the idea (give it kudos) and ask Spotify I think....

Anyone have any updates on this issue? I'm debating whether or not to shell out for their connect-enabled speakers instead of using other iOS devices as the players connected to speakers via hard connection or Bluetooth. If the volume control issue was resolved I could "connect" my whole house without any need for new expensive wireless enabled speakers. I can't imagine why Spotify wouldn't want to resolve this issue and make Connect a million times better. Maybe they have an agreement with "Connect-enabled" speaker companies to not enable device to device volume control to drive speaker sales?

Absolutely agree! It's very annoying. Please Spotify, hurry up!
Meanwhile, you can use as roundabout the free app Tablet Remote https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tournesol.tabletremote

Yes please fix volume control Android to Android.

I have Spotify running on my Ricomagic HDMI stick and controlling it from my phones (Samsung and iPhone).

But I have to reach for the remote control to adjust the volume.

Come on Spotify, it's not 2012 😉

Suggested posts