Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Galaxy S III S3 ICS Beta - Storage Issue

The ICS Beta update is great. It appears pretty stable so far on my Galaxy S3. 

There is one issue which I hope will be addressed in the official release. Spotify storage of tracks uses up a huge amount of memory. The Galaxy S3 has a huge amount of internal storage, and I have a 64 gb card as an external SD card.

Here's the problem. The S3 internal storage fills up the internal memory with a few thousand tracks. However, it is not possible to select the storage location of the music files. You cannot therefore save them to the external SD card. 

This is compounded, I suspect, by the fact that the Galaxy S3 calls its internal memory "SDCard" and its external SD memory, "extSdCard". Also, the Galaxy S3 does not allow you to move applications (including Spotify) to the external SD card. 

So, what would be hugely helpful is either:

- a workaround; or

- for Spotify to allow users to select the external SD Card for music storage, as is possible presently with the official release. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there. Pretty sure this will be solved when the beta goes final and is published to the Play store.

In the meantime I think you can get around this by installing the old app first, setting the storage location in that and then installing the preview app over top. Although this is a bit of a guess from reading other posts as I don't have a phone that has this problem. If you could try and confirm or deny that would be great

Cheers
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

My spotify app from the play store on galazy SIII opens, then crashes

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there. Pretty sure this will be solved when the beta goes final and is published to the Play store.

In the meantime I think you can get around this by installing the old app first, setting the storage location in that and then installing the preview app over top. Although this is a bit of a guess from reading other posts as I don't have a phone that has this problem. If you could try and confirm or deny that would be great

Cheers
----------------
Marked as solution

My spotify app from the play store on galazy SIII opens, then crashes

You need to download the ICS beta.

licensed - I have tried that, and it doesn't seem to download to the external SD card even in the old version

But the ICS version is great so I am hopeful that the full version will work fine

Are you sure you aregetting the storage location right? The name varies from phone to phone and I think that if you get it wrong there is no error message - it just defaults back to the internal location
----------------

Same here. Tried uninstalling, and reinstalling . Still not good.

To be honest, I now have downloaded so much that I'm not keen to do a full reinstall. Happy to wait.

I have exactly the same problem, all my data is on en external card, and on my galaxy s2 i could (before logging in) get to the option where you specify an external SD path... now upgraded to an s3, and no option to specify an external sd path.

Its pretty frustrating.... i guess they just forgot to put it in ! 

I have like 15gb on the card, so i'm not going to dolwnload anything else directly to the phone when its all there.. I hope there's a fix...

Marked as solution

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/How-do-you-set-storage-to-external-SD-on-today-s-rele...
----------------

Re: Hvordan du sætter opbevaring til eksternt SD på dagens udgivelse?

Dette er præcis, hvad jeg gjorde:

1. sørg for alle gamle data (sange osv.) er blevet helt slettes fra telefonen og eksternt SD-kort

2.and derefter afinstallere den nye applikation

3. hente den "gamle" programmet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9bwd3qqx2x286h/SpotifyA ndroid.apk

4. installere programmet (sørg for at du har "install fra Unknow kilder" aktiveret på din enhed)

5a starter programmet, og derefter logge af, hvis du bliver logget på automatisk.

5b fra login skærmen, skal du klikke på dit telefoner menu-knappen, skal du trykke på "reset Spotify" og tryk ok.

6a stadig på login-skærmen, skal du trykke på menu-knappen igen og vælg "vælg SD Location"

6b på dette punkt vil foreslå "/ mnt / sdcard" - dette er ikke din eksterne SD-kort. Det er telefonens interne hukommelseskort. Du skal ændre det til "/ mnt / extSdCard" BEMÆRK: Dette er fra mine Galaxy S3, og kan variere fra telefon til telefon

7, når dette er blevet ændret, teste det - bemærk både telefonens hukommelse status og den eksterne SD-kortets, og se, hvilke decreses efter at spare et par sange

8 Hvis det nu er at spare på det eksterne SD-kort, kan du besøge Google Play og opgradere til den nye version af Spotify (uden at afinstallere Den gamle version eller ændrer nogen indstillinger)

Hvis dette ikke virker for dig, så ved jeg ikke, hvad der vil - undskyldninger. Forhåbentlig du var simpelthen ikke gør en del 6b korrekt ...

I keep getting the message "Offline syncing has stopped as there is no more space on this device". I have deleted and redownloaded it and have less music synced. Why is this happening?

Samsung Galaxy S3

@hunylipps wrote:

I keep getting the message "Offline syncing has stopped as there is no more space on this device". I have deleted and redownloaded it and have less music synced. Why is this happening?

Samsung Galaxy S3

Is either your internal memory or your SD card currently full? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts