Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Perform a clean reinstall following the instructions in this post and Spotify should automatically use the external SD card for storing your music.

This worked for me on a samsung g7000 note:

First clear all data from the spotify app settings then:

1. On your device open (System) Settings and start Application Manager
  2. Look for Spotify and tap it
  3. Press "Clear data"
  4. If it's not greyed out, also press "Clear cache"
  5. Uninstall the Spotify app from the app manager.
  6. IMPORTANT: Completely turn off your device
  7. Remove the battery, then put it back in, then turn device back on

Reinstall app from play store and start downloading tunes. I also used a memory manager to check it was working.

Listen,

For $10 a month I don't want workarounds.  I just want it to work. Without extra effort or downloading older versions.

@finkeldp Listen, there is no need to download older versions or to use workarounds. On the first install, spotify will automatically select the optimal location in which to create its cache. This will be the external SD card as long as it has more free space than inrernal storage.

Most posts here relate to older versions or to folk wanting to switch the cache from internal to external SD card and even that is easier now that uninstalling spotify also deletes the cache.

If there's anything you need help with, just ask.

I terminated my subscription today.  For $10 a month I don't want a workaround.  I also do not want to download additional software to fix the problem.  I just want it to work.  Spotify sent me a 13 step process that basically reinstalls the same software I just downloaded. 

I am only willing to uninstall and resinstall.  I am not going to modify directories etc...

When they fix it I am happy to pay $120 a year.  Hopefully they call me and let me know.  My subscription ends 11-9-2013 in about a week.

You still don't say what you were trying to achieve but uninstalling and reinstalling spotify should have it create the cache in the location with the greatest free space. was that what you wanted?

I'll tried this for my own.

aaaaand it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

15GB free space on my sd card

and only 1gb left on internal space

Installed 4 times and deleted all chache and left spotify folders.

And Spotify still dl to my internal space. That's really annoying

Marked as solution

As long as you deleted all traces of spotify in internal memory, it should automatically create the cache on the external SD card on reinstall. It may be worth reformatting your external SD card in the phone then trying deleting the cache and reinstalling.

I am on work at this moment.

I will try it at home and give you a reply.

I'll hope it work.

Keeping my fingers crossed 🙂

thx bro 😉

i'll give it a try at work ^^

sd card formated. check

checked internal android folder. check

installed spotify. check

login. check

changed quality option. check

download some music. still downloading / edit: check

keep fingers crossed. check

now, after i formated the sd card it seems to work.

THX BRO! You are my hero.

Quiet day at work eh 🙂 Glad it works, enjoy your music 🙂

Thanks again Joe... it worked on my device as well (samsung galaxy note and galaxy pocket).

I am having the same problem. WHY WHY WHY WHY???????

I emptied the cache, deleted the application, reloaded it..... and, while at the login screen, there was NO hardware Menu key to select SD Location.

I am quite pleased I am not the only one with this issue but, why is it an issue at all. It cannot be rocket science!

@davidjhardie - Spotify doesn't allow you to select the storage location (I have no idea why tbh) but it will automatically save to your SD card if it detects the SD card has more free storage space than your internal phone memory (and vice versa).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

"

thx bro 😉

i'll give it a try at work ^^

sd card formated. check

checked internal android folder. check

installed spotify. check

login. check

changed quality option. check

download some music. still downloading / edit: check

keep fingers crossed. check

now, after i formated the sd card it seems to work.

THX BRO! You are my hero."

The above solution does not work for me, the persistan app keeps saving to my internal storage. What is wrong???

(I have an Xcover 2).

/Irrblosset

Darn! It seems my Xcover 2 does not support the 64gb sd card i got with it !?!?!

When i reverted to my older 16gb card from my old phone it works.

WTF samsung...64gb is fairly standard-size these days!

Hello

I keep losing my offline playlists on my xperia z1 compact. I've been trying to save them to my SD card to save a lot of songs. I install the app, delete all cache data, log in again. Change the download and streaming quality to the highest quality and then let my computer sync my playlists to my phone.

It all seems to go well and my playlists seem to have synced ready for offline use when not contected to my Wifi. Then I check while out of the house and I have no offline playlists. It's really infuriating. Please can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong or is it a fault with Spotify?

Unfortunately there is an open bug's topic about android offline issues (and it has been a recurring issue for a long time sadly):
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Bugs/Android-New-music-won-t-stay-downloaded-2/td-p/387428

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Im having the same issue as well.  I have the latest version of the Android OS as well as the latest Spotify version.  It states Spotify will save to whatever storeage space has the most space available.  This doesnt seem to be the case as my internal frive has 5G where my SD has 16G.  Ive wiped all of my music and downloaded again....no luck.  Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Suggested posts